Curious about rabies

Old July 7th 03, 08:12 AM
Purplecat

"Sherry " wrote in message
How does
rabies impact on handling unknown domestic animals in US?

There's a pre-exposure vaccine that high-risk people take; like vets,
taxidermists, animal control officers, etc. Really, I don't get too

freaked out

Ah, that makes a big difference. I was wondering how people in high risk
categories approached the problem.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Old July 7th 03, 08:15 AM
Purplecat

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:27:50 +1000, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Purplecat ) said,
So basically it is an issue to be taken seriously when handling these
animals...
I've always taken for granted that I can catch/handle strays or feral
kittens (and wounded wildlife) with relative safety, which means I've

been
able to rescue a few "on the spot" without any gloves or cages -

fortunate
for them because I would not have always been able to go back for them
easily another time. Something I guess is not so easy for you guys. Wow.

Nor for you- see my other response. With that said, I'd probably do
the same thing you have, but I'm a dumb softheart like that. ;-)

Well yes, it was definitely a dumb softheart action.
But I'm pretty cluey about the risks of handling animals and the risks of
physical injury,
and I try not to do anything too stupid (dumb softheart nature aside). I've
never
been seriously bitten or injured, which I put down to caution rather than
luck, but
at least I know that in the case I do get a nip (as I did with this kitten)
rabies is one
thing that I just don't have to think about.

Note: Not to downplay the risks - your tendon infection story sounds truly
horrific and is a reminder to everyone that the risks of serious
complications, while relatively rare, are very very real. My friend's boss
nearly lost her arm to a cat scratch...

Purplecat