Rhinotracheitis and fertility

Old December 22nd 03, 07:13 AM
redpenner

Default Rhinotracheitis and fertility

My female kitten has chronic rhinotracheitis; her first flare-up was at about 5 weeks; she was very
sick at the time. She has another flare-up anytime she is under stress, and has constant sneezing
and runny eye. We keep an eye on her condition and she is doing really well.

She got her "adult teeth" about 4 months ago but apparently has never gone into heat. We were
waiting for her to go into heat to have her spayed for a couple of reasons (mainly avoidance of
stress in both her and her younger half-sister, who also has the virus with flare-ups from stress
and would definitely be stressed if big sis was away for a couple of days!!).

I have read that rhinotracheitis can affect the reproductive organs; can it delay or prevent sexual
maturity from happening?

redpenner

---

Old December 22nd 03, 10:27 AM
KellyH

"redpenner" wrote in message
[...]

I have no knowledge of rhinotracheitis causing any development issues, but I
can tell you that there is no reason to wait for your cat to go into heat to
get her spayed. In fact, you want to do it before she goes into heat. That
way, she (and you) will never have to suffer through being in heat. Also, I
don't know if you were planning on getting her spayed while in heat, which
you can do, but it's more complicated apparently and vets charge more to
spay an in-heat female. You should wait until she has recovered from the
rhino flare-up, and take her in then. She shouldn't have to be gone from
home too long. The usual time is drop-off the evening before, and pick up
the next late-afternoon. You could even get the kitties spayed at the same
time! Ask your vet how young they spay kittens. The vets our shelter uses
spay kittens as long as they are over 8 weeks old and 2 lbs.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old December 22nd 03, 04:39 PM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:13:42 -0600, redpenner wrote:

She got her "adult teeth" about 4 months ago but apparently has never
gone into heat. We were waiting for her to go into heat to have her
spayed for a couple of reasons (mainly avoidance of stress in both her
and her younger half-sister, who also has the virus with flare-ups from
stress and would definitely be stressed if big sis was away for a couple
of days!!).

I have read that rhinotracheitis can affect the reproductive organs; can
it delay or prevent sexual maturity from happening?

It won't inhibit sexual maturity. If you're going to go in to have her
spayed and the vet has no problem, there's no sense in waiting to have it
done.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 23rd 03, 04:08 AM
redpenner

[...]

Well our vet told us that it was actually *easier* to spay during heat, as the uterus is bigger and
easier to work with, and he doesn't charge more. (But I have had vets tell me the opposite, so who
knows...gotta go along with the Drs we have available!)
I know what you mean about not letting heat start; it's miserable for us and for her. Our local
vets won't spay kittens until after they have their adult teeth, so as soon as #2 gets hers we will
take them both in, heat or no.

Thanks for the reassurance!

---