Boyfie is eating something crunchy right now

Old October 11th 12, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Boyfie is eating something crunchy right now

Cheryl wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

It's a mousie. He hasn't been been out for hours, does this mean I had a
mouse in the house? Yes.
Gone. Crunched and eaten. Try again mouses ;-)

There's nothing like a cat for mouse patrol. At work, we have those
disgusting sticky traps.

When I first moved into my current house many years ago now, the
previous tenant warned me about the mice. He had little trays of poison
all over the place, and still had problems. I got rid of all the poison,
and moved in with two cats. I have very rarely seen any evidence of
mice. I caught one rather traumatized one they had cornered, and found
half of one on the floor and maybe another, recently deceased. No
droppings, nothing else, in all these years. The cats (now two different
ones) still have a good appetite for their food, so I don't think
they're eating that many of the mice; I think they're scaring a lot of
them off. I've got nearly perfect mouse control without the poison or
sticky traps.

Or, apparently, even predation by the cats. Just their presence is a
deterrent.

Years ago I lived in an apartment that had mice. I didn't realize at the
time that they could cause problems for the humans (by carrying germs),
so I didn't do anything about it. Occasionally a mouse would race out to
the middle of the kitchen floor and then just sit there twitching its
nose. It was the cutest thing! I didn't want to kill them. There weren't
that many mice, anyway.

But a few years later, when I had a cat or seven (the number did get that
high at one point, between me and my roommate), we didn't see any mice,
alive or dead. Once the felines moved in, the mice were outta there.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old October 11th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Lesley wrote:

The people downstairs from us have mice but we've only once seen a
mouse up here and Isis (RB) kissed it (she watched too many wildlife
shows- the only cat I've ever known who understand the concept of a
"commercial break")

Apparently she has not watched American wildlife shows - they love to
show the blood & gore.

The pest control people say with 2 healthy cats in the house we'll
never have a mouse problem- I refer to them as the "ORCS" Organic
Rodent Control Systems

I like that. I'm sure cats look like Orcs to a mouse.

--
Joyce

I've gone running from the devil
At times I've beaten down his path
Old October 11th 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Takayuki wrote:

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:04:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
It's a mousie. He hasn't been been out for hours, does this mean I had a
mouse in the house? Yes.
Gone. Crunched and eaten. Try again mouses ;-)

I thought you were going to say that he had kibble! I didn't know that mice
were crunchy.

I think most of us vertebrates are.

Old October 11th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 01:12:55 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

I thought you were going to say that he had kibble! I didn't know that mice
were crunchy.

I think most of us vertebrates are.

This is beginning to sound more terrible than any horror movie. At least
you can fight against an Orc. And at least you probably won't be crunchy to
one if it eats you.
Old October 11th 12, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

I thought you were going to say that he had kibble! I didn't know that mice
were crunchy.

I think most of us vertebrates are.

This is beginning to sound more terrible than any horror movie. At least
you can fight against an Orc. And at least you probably won't be crunchy to
one if it eats you.

But you will be to a dragon, especially if it happens to have some ketchup.

--
Joyce

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old October 11th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Sticky traps should be illegal but a local pound store near me still has
them.
So you get your mouse or rat stuck to a board, alive, then what to do with
them?

Drop the trap, with mouse attached, into a bucket of water?

Bud

I don't know what the guys from Housekeeping do with it, but the other
guy who helps has access to a freezer, and says freezing is a pretty
merciful way to go.

--
Cheryl
Old October 11th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

i think not unless you want to watch it drown which is a cruel death.

Old October 11th 12, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

do you think so it will take quite a long time in a freezer to freeze a
warm mammal to death. during that time they will get colder and colder and
be aware of this.
myself, if i have to do vermin control i like it to be immediate.

Old October 11th 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
It's a mousie. He hasn't been been out for hours, does this mean I had a
mouse in the house? Yes.
Gone. Crunched and eaten. Try again mouses ;-)

I thought you were going to say that he had kibble! I didn't know that
mice
were crunchy.

it's the skulls.

Boyfriend is so resourceful. See, you should keep him in more - if he's
out
too much, all the mousies will head inside for safety instead of he other
way around.

grin, he can choose whether he is out or in. as he gets older he would
prefer to be on his duvet but he does make token attempts at rats, but they
have to be small.

Old October 11th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I do think so, actually.

I've always heard that freezing to death is pretty painless for humans,
not that I've tried it myself. But the experts always warn that if
you're lost out in the woods in the winter without the ability to build
or find shelter, you must keep moving. Not noticing the cold so much,
and feeling sleepy so you just want to lie down for a short nap are
signs that hypothermia has advanced so far that you won't wake up from
your nap.

That's also part of the reason you should always stay in you car if it
breaks down on an isolated road in the winter, and make use of the
contents of the emergency kit you carry for exactly that situation! The
other part is that it's a lot easier for a searcher to spot a car than
to spot an individual.

My office is also rather lacking in rodent-killing tools, having not so
much as a hammer and nothing really suitable for cleaning up any
splattered blood.

--
Cheryl