Boyfie is eating something crunchy right now

Old October 11th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Boyfie is eating something crunchy right now

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't know what the guys from Housekeeping do with it, but the other guy
who helps has access to a freezer, and says freezing is a pretty merciful
way to go.

do you think so it will take quite a long time in a freezer to freeze a
warm mammal to death. during that time they will get colder and colder and
be aware of this.
myself, if i have to do vermin control i like it to be immediate.

You're right that freezing isn't immediate (although I'm sure it's quicker
to freeze a mouse than a human), but as deaths go, I can think of far worse
than freezing. At some point, the hypothermia just makes you sleepy and you
lose consciousness. Some people start to feel overheated during the process
and have been known to tear their clothes off. That sounds miserable, but
not nearly as terrifying as drowning IMO.

The ways of giving an animal an instantaneous death are more gruesome,
which is why the snap trap might be better. Except, of course, when the
snap trap doesn't kill the animal but merely wounds it.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old October 11th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
It's a mousie. He hasn't been been out for hours, does this mean I
had a
mouse in the house? Yes.
Gone. Crunched and eaten. Try again mouses ;-)

There's nothing like a cat for mouse patrol. At work, we have those
disgusting sticky traps.

When I first moved into my current house many years ago now, the
previous
tenant warned me about the mice. He had little trays of poison all
over
the place, and still had problems. I got rid of all the poison, and
moved
in with two cats. I have very rarely seen any evidence of mice. I
caught
one rather traumatized one they had cornered, and found half of one
on
the
floor and maybe another, recently deceased. No droppings, nothing
else,
in
all these years. The cats (now two different ones) still have a good
appetite for their food, so I don't think they're eating that many of
the
mice; I think they're scaring a lot of them off. I've got nearly
perfect
mouse control without the poison or sticky traps.

Sticky traps should be illegal but a local pound store near me still
has
them.
So you get your mouse or rat stuck to a board, alive, then what to do
with
them?

Drop the trap, with mouse attached, into a bucket of water?

Bud

I don't know what the guys from Housekeeping do with it, but the other
guy
who helps has access to a freezer, and says freezing is a pretty
merciful
way to go.

do you think so it will take quite a long time in a freezer to freeze a
warm mammal to death. during that time they will get colder and colder
and
be aware of this.
myself, if i have to do vermin control i like it to be immediate.

I do think so, actually.

I've always heard that freezing to death is pretty painless for humans,
not that I've tried it myself. But the experts always warn that if you're
lost out in the woods in the winter without the ability to build or find
shelter, you must keep moving. Not noticing the cold so much, and feeling
sleepy so you just want to lie down for a short nap are signs that
hypothermia has advanced so far that you won't wake up from your nap.

That's also part of the reason you should always stay in you car if it
breaks down on an isolated road in the winter, and make use of the
contents of the emergency kit you carry for exactly that situation! The
other part is that it's a lot easier for a searcher to spot a car than to
spot an individual.

My office is also rather lacking in rodent-killing tools, having not so
much as a hammer and nothing really suitable for cleaning up any
splattered blood.

so get a snap trap, no hammer required. glue traps are not humane imo. i
think they should be banned.
if i have to do it, mine meet their makers in a second. i certainly would
not use a glue trap unless i enjoyed watching them struggling to get off of
it.

--
Cheryl

Old October 12th 12, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

you do have to bait it properly. i never had a snap trap fail to kill
instantly but the terriers are better. rats are crafty about traps and will
throw earth on them to set them off and then eat the bait on them. they
rarely meet the terriers twice.

Old October 12th 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Snap traps don't always kill instantly either.

I guess it's fortunate we'll never meet in real life. Since you don't
mind falsely implying that I enjoy watching animals suffer, I'd hate to
think what you might feel obliged to provide for my entertainment should
we ever meet.

--
Cheryl
Old October 12th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2012-10-10, Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 2012-10-09 4:34 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

now that is just silly, i said glue traps are not humane and they are not.
i never said you personally enjoyed watching
animals suffer, my point was they do suffer if they are used.

Old October 12th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

glue traps are not humane imo. i think they should be banned.
if i have to do it, mine meet their makers in a second. i certainly would
not use a glue trap unless i enjoyed watching them struggling to get off of
it.

Hmm. I use glue traps for the grain moths that occasionally infest my
cupboards. It's the only non-poisonous method of getting rid of them
that actually works. But now I feel like a creep for using them. I don't
*watch* them struggle, but of course they must struggle and it must be
a terrible way to die. But these traps catch so many of them, and nothing
else I've tried has worked so well. I'm not willing to have an exterminator
come and expose me and the cats to poison.

--
Joyce

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me,
for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me
the hell alone. -- Unknown Crabby Person
Old October 13th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

glue traps are not humane imo. i think they should be banned.
if i have to do it, mine meet their makers in a second. i certainly
would
not use a glue trap unless i enjoyed watching them struggling to get off
of
it.

Hmm. I use glue traps for the grain moths that occasionally infest my
cupboards. It's the only non-poisonous method of getting rid of them
that actually works. But now I feel like a creep for using them. I don't
*watch* them struggle, but of course they must struggle and it must be
a terrible way to die. But these traps catch so many of them, and nothing
else I've tried has worked so well. I'm not willing to have an
exterminator
come and expose me and the cats to poison.

--

I was talking about mice which are a sentient mammal who like to groom
themselves and are likely to sprain their legs trying to get themselves off

I make no apologies for pointing this out.

Whether insects suffer, I don't know.
Mice and rats certainly will have a worrying time being stuck for hours on a
glue board alive.
If we need to control them, it can surely be done more humanely than that?
I've never had a failure with a snap-trap baited with crunchy peanut butter,
with mice. Gone to RB in a moment.
The rats will rarely fall for that, and if they are a problem, they terriers
either get them and they are gone immediately, or they get away to meet the
doggies another day.

Old October 14th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message which is why the
snap trap might be better. Except, of course, when the
snap trap doesn't kill the animal but merely wounds it.

I have never had a snap fail to kill immediately.
I'm beginning to wonder whether your snap traps are the same as ours.

Its made of wood with a treadle that is baited and a steel thing holds the
bar up. Mouse gets on the treadle, bar comes down,snap, deceased.
there shouldn't be a reason why it should be injured.
I've caught a few in my time in snaptraps and none were injured - unless
fatally.