I replaced Spicey with a duck

Old October 10th 12, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default I replaced Spicey with a duck

Today, Spicey's stand-in was a duck.

I had a vet appointment to get an educational briefing on feline diabetes,
diet, and crucially, how to inject insulin. I'd been putting Spicey's food
dish in her carrier for the past two days, in preparation for this little
field trip.

But today, when I attempted to close the carrier door, Spicey immediately
backed out, hissed, and ran off. Clever little girl! She wouldn't let me
approach her after that, of course. Well, ok, fine. If you don't want to
come, then daddy will go by himself.

So fast-forward a few minutes to TED, and they're giving me a demonstration
on how to inject insulin into - a stuffed duck. I explained that our star
model was being a diva today, so we needed to go to a stunt double. The
demonstration went smoothly - Mr. Duck was perfectly well behaved. If only
Spicey was a duck.

I discussed with TED how I was still in the process of working towards the
blessed day when I might conceivably be able to take such liberties with
Spicey - and live. They told me to be sure to put her on a low carbohydrate
diet in the meantime.

Spicey loves her low carb diet. It's gooshy and good! Will you still love
it when you get a side order of needle, I wonder?
Old October 11th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

Once you reach the point where she allows you to giver her the injection, it
will probably hurt you more than it does her. Come to think of it, that
will probably be the case if you try and she doesn't allow you.

Seriously, the idea of sticking a needle into one's cat is terrifying, but
if the needle is sharp, they hardly seem to notice. I had to give Skeeter
(RB) subcutaneous fluid for a while, which meant leaving the needle in for
quite a while, and it still didn't seem to bother her.
Purrs that it doesn't take too long to reach that point or, better yet, that
the new diet causes her to lose enough weight so she doesn't need the
insulin.

Joy

Old October 11th 12, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

ah, that's the thing, isn't it i know i would have great difficulty
injecting boyfie if he became diabetic and he is tamer than spicey. please
excuse lack of capitals, i had my arm op today.

did what megan posted about controlling by diet help you

tweed

Some of us had curry duck Pat[_4_] Cat anecdotes 12 May 23rd 10 01:16 AM
[OT] Duck Food Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 May 31st 08 08:37 PM
Duck, duck, cat Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 2 September 4th 06 03:27 AM
B & C - and Daddy Duck Bev Cat anecdotes 15 November 2nd 03 08:44 PM