Six Feet Under episode

Old August 26th 03, 08:55 AM

Default Six Feet Under episode

Any Six Feet Under fans here? This is a TV series on a cable station. I
don't get that station, so I've never seen it, but a friend of mine just
got a DVD with the entire first season - 12 episodes - so we've been
watching them 3 at a time.

For those who don't know the show, it's about a family who owns a
mortuary. Every episode starts out with a person who dies, who is then
featured, along with the family, friends, etc, in the episode. One of
them starts with a woman taking a bath. She's having a conversation with
her cat, who jumps up on a vanity table next to the tub, and then knocks
something electrical into the tub, electrocuting her. (They never show
the gory details - in this one, you just see her feet shaking.) Anyway,
I braced myself for a sad moment where the cat starts crying for his
dead human, but instead, when the camera cuts back to the cat, he's
sitting there washing himself. This show is full of these kinds of
dark little jokes.

Joyce
Old August 26th 03, 05:50 PM
Victor M. Martinez

I've also only seen the DVDs of the first season and loved them all! I wish
they were more up-to-date with the DVDs. I understand the 3rd season already
ended (?) but they haven't released the DVDs for the 2nd season yet.
At first I really disliked the David character (can't stand self-hating
people, whether gay or straight), but he's grown on me. At least he seems
to be trying.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 27th 03, 05:33 PM
Fat Freddy

them starts with a woman taking a bath. She's having a conversation with
her cat, who jumps up on a vanity table next to the tub, and then knocks
something electrical into the tub, electrocuting her. (They never show
the gory details - in this one, you just see her feet shaking.) Anyway,
I braced myself for a sad moment where the cat starts crying for his
dead human, but instead, when the camera cuts back to the cat, he's
sitting there washing himself.

Yes, I remember that episode. I thought it was funny, too. I love the
subtle, but oh so black, humour in that show.

Why is it funny that the cat was licking itself?
Really, I'm not being difficult. Thanks

The humor, at least for me, comes from the cat being totally unaffected
by the momentous event that he has just caused.
Old August 27th 03, 10:42 PM
Not so quick

"Fat Freddy" wrote in message
[...]

But that makes cats look so unconnected to their human
friends. I thought maybe the cat taking a bath of his own
was the joke. Thanks for responding. : -)

Old August 29th 03, 07:37 AM
Fat Freddy

*That's* the joke - that cats couldn't care less about their humans,
that they're aloof, uninvolved, etc.

If I died sitting in my favorite spot on the sofa, I doubt that my cats
would notice until my lap got cold or their food bowls got empty.
Old September 2nd 03, 12:22 PM
bewtifulfreak

Not so quick wrote:

I don't like the joke, then. But you reminded me of a video I saw
of a lion once. He was being approached by some people. I guess
he was in some sort of large park. He looked at them very intently
and apparently when he realized who and what they were, not only
did he quit looking, but they couldn't even get his attention. He
was like, "You aren't dangerous, not food, not relevant. You might
as well be a rock." It was interesting. : -) I guess I should see the
episode before I decide if I like the joke or not.

Don't feel so bad, I'm the same. I mean, I can laugh at a joke like that
to a point, but I don't think cats are nearly as insensitive as they have a
reputation for being. I mean, even their playing with something before they
kill it, I heard they bat it around to get a sense of how strong it is,
whether it will bite them, etc - maybe a justification, but I did read that
in a cat book. I think a lot of things that to us seem like indifference or
cruelty is just part of the culture of cat, and doesn't make them truly
unfeeling. They just have different mores and rules than we humans do. I
think sometimes people tend to judge animals without remembering they are
entirely different species of beings!

Not that cats *can't* be incredibly indifferent when they want to be, but I
think they're often misunderstood, even amongst those that love them....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old September 6th 03, 05:57 PM
Not so quick

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
Not so quick wrote:

[...]

Cats bat everything around, including each other,
their own tails, their mothers, and animals far bigger
than them that they already know can overpower
them. Any body can say what's going on in an
animals mind without much chance of rebuttal but
this sounds incorrect to me. : -)

Old September 6th 03, 06:20 PM
bewtifulfreak

Not so quick wrote:
"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message

I mean, even their
playing with something before they kill it, I heard they bat it
around to get a sense of how strong it is, whether it will bite
them, etc - maybe a justification, but I did read that in a cat
book.

Cats bat everything around, including each other,
their own tails, their mothers, and animals far bigger
than them that they already know can overpower
them. Any body can say what's going on in an
animals mind without much chance of rebuttal but
this sounds incorrect to me. : -)

Well, I think all that other batting around comes from that initial batting
around instinct - just as they 'hunt' and attack furry mouse toys as if they
were real - but then, as you said, it's hard to know (although batting
animals larger than them is not the same kind of batting around I'm talking
about). I guess I tend to assume that if it's in a book full of cat facts,
there's probably some research behind it, but as you said, who's to say....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak