not sure if this is ringworm

Old May 16th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default not sure if this is ringworm

HI my cat has a white spot about the size of a dime that no fur grows
on on his back. I thought it was ringworm but it's been there for a
while and is not spreading and I have not developed any ringworm spots.
Any ideas on what it may be based on the description?

Old May 16th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"dagon" wrote in message
ups.com...
HI my cat has a white spot about the size of a dime that no fur grows
on on his back. I thought it was ringworm but it's been there for a
while and is not spreading and I have not developed any ringworm spots.
Any ideas on what it may be based on the description?

Is it in a place he can reach to groom himself?

Old May 16th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

HI my cat has a white spot about the size of a dime that no fur grows
on on his back. I thought it was ringworm but it's been there for a
while and is not spreading and I have not developed any ringworm spots.
Any ideas on what it may be based on the description?

If it's been there for a while, I trust you're in the process of taking him
to the vet for diagnosis? That is the only way to know for sure what it is
and to have it treated if need be.

Old May 16th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

dagon wrote:
HI my cat has a white spot about the size of a dime that no fur grows
on on his back. I thought it was ringworm but it's been there for a
while and is not spreading and I have not developed any ringworm spots.
Any ideas on what it may be based on the description?

First, what is "a while"? A weeek, a month?

If it's just bald, not crusty, not red at all, not inflamed or
otherwise looking "abnormal" it may be the site of a previous injury.
Sometimes, especially when wounds get infected, all of the hair around
the wound falls out - the skin usually looks smooth. It takes a while
for it to grow back. If this is the case *I* would just keep an eye on
it to make sure the hair is starting to grow in. If the spot is
crusty, flaky, or red or oozing at all, *I* would take him to a vet.
If it's been more than 2 weeks with no hair re-growth (at least
stubble), *I* would take the cat to the vet as well.

-L.