Femlae Cat urinates in Bathtub and shower stall

Old July 22nd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default Femlae Cat urinates in Bathtub and shower stall

Hi

I have a 1 year old female cat who recently started to urinate in the
bathtub and in the shower. She is spayed. She also urinated twice in one
week in my gym bag and another time on my shorts that werer on the floor.
Also, once on the bathroom throw rug that is infront of the sink.

This was never an issue until a couple of weeks ago. She use to always use
her litter box for everything, never going anywhere she wasn't allowed. She
still uses her litter box, I heard her urinate in it the other day. Just
sometimes she goes in odd places.

Not sure what is going on.

A little bit of background, she and three others were ferals from the same
litter, I found them last Oct, had them fixed, etc. I am working on them.
She is very differnet then the others, she is very social and sleepps on my
bed with me. I can pick her up and she doesn't mind. The other three aren't
even close, and tehy stay outside. When I feed them I leave the kitchen door
open and they all walk around the house while I prepare thier dinner.
Sometimes one or two of the cats walk around the home. She gets very
denfensive and protective.

Just wondering if she is marking her space.

Any ideas?

Old July 22nd 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
cybercat

"Tube Audio" wrote :
Just wondering if she is marking her space.

She probably has a urinary tract infection.

Vet.

Old July 22nd 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
tension_on_the_wire

On Jul 21, 7:12*pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

Yep, vet. Common symptom of infection, and sometimes bladder stones
can present that way.
But now that she has got her smell onto some things, you need to keep
all bags and clothes and floormats off the floor for a while. She may
continue to do it even after you get her treated. It's a hard habit
to break.

--tension
Old July 22nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (7/21/2008 10:19 PM):
"Tube Audio" wrote :
Just wondering if she is marking her space.

She probably has a urinary tract infection.

Vet.

What she said. Get your kitty to the vet ASAP. Any time a cat that
normally uses the litterbox, doesn't, is a reason for a vet visit.

Meep has cystitis, and before I started recognizing early symptoms,
she'd start trying to pee in odd places, like my shoes.

jmc
Old July 24th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
Tracy101

Could well be that she's afraid she won't be your favourite anymore or that
one of the other cats upsets her. Just because they're from the same litter
doesn't necessarily mean they'll be friends when they grow up. The fact
that she's peeing on things with your scent might indicate she feels YOU are
the cause of some of her depression. Her main threat is more likely to be a
male cat.

Years ago before I divorced I had a very sensitive cat who didn't like my
husband so he started peeing on his gym bag and shoes. That angered him so
much he insisted the poor cat be put down, but I think the cat was basically
just stressed by the relationship. (My husband never would harm him but
didn't like him). Cats are very much like humans. Just like kids who get
upset when couples have arguments, so do animals.

Re peeing in the bathtub and shower, that's brilliant (especially if he only
pees in there instead of poops). You should be proud of her. I think cats
who do that are merely trying to duplicate what their owners are doing on
the toilet. One woman I know had a cat who trained "himself" to use the
toilet even! She claimed she didn't do anything at all to train him.

Other than by meowing, peeing is pretty well the only way cats have to
communicate. Hopefully you'll have her checked out though to make sure she
doesn't have a urinary problem. When cats get crystals in their urine they
will usually start peeing all over to let their owners know they are
suffering from pain. Hopefully you're giving her low ash cat food,
preferably one from a better brand like Iams or Science diet.