Mom [OT]

Old March 26th 04, 06:12 PM
David Stevenson

Default Mom [OT]

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

If anyone wonders what my problem is then I learnt 'Mum' and 'Mummy'
and never heard this word 'Mom' until a few years ago.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old March 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Karen

Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

Karen

Old March 26th 04, 06:28 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:12:00 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
yodeled:

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

I'm 43 years old, and I refer to "my mom." Exactly what is wrong with
that? What you you call your mom? "Mater"?

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 26th 04, 06:36 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:15:58 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

Karen

And Mommy. My brother and I called our mother Mommy when I was little
(which is an increasingly long time ago ), and all the children I
knew growing up said Mommy. My mother called her mother Mommy when
she was little. I know English people say "Mum" or "Mummy," but I
never found it irritating. It's what they do. So what?

Old March 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Karen

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:15:58 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

Karen

And Mommy. My brother and I called our mother Mommy when I was little
(which is an increasingly long time ago ), and all the children I
knew growing up said Mommy. My mother called her mother Mommy when
she was little. I know English people say "Mum" or "Mummy," but I
never found it irritating. It's what they do. So what?

Oh, some things are just like that. I dislike "Ma'am". And I know a lot of
women who do and yet people use it all the time. I swear, it makes me feel
ancient!

Karen

Old March 26th 04, 06:49 PM
Annie Wxill

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

If anyone wonders what my problem is then I learnt 'Mum' and 'Mummy'
and never heard this word 'Mom' until a few years ago.

--
David Stevenson

Sorry to annoy you, but Mom is a common word here in the U.S. when referring
to or addressing one's mother. It is not disrespectful at all. In fact, I
considered it a great compliment when my daughters were growing up that
their friends addressed me as Mom. Because I was active in the schools, it
caught on, and some of the other children also called me Mom. I could go
down the hall and be greeted by, "Hi, Mom," several times.
To me, it meant that they considered me as more than just another adult.
They recognized me as someone who cared about them and the greeting returned
the affection in a respectful way.
One of my treasured memories is when one of my daughter's friends was about
to introduce me to her parents at an event we were attending. The girl told
me her parents' names and then blushed and said to me, "I'm sorry, I don't
remember your name. I always think of you as Mom."
I don't know how her own mother took it, but it meant a lot to me.
Mum or Mummy is rarely, if ever used here. I guess it's more a European
usage. (But, we Americans are soo uncultured, you know. grin).
Annie, who thinks being a mother is the most important career in the world,
no matter what name you use.

Old March 26th 04, 07:17 PM
JBHajos

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

Oh, my!!! Most children, brats or not, call their mothers "Mom"
here. We don't think it's any worse than "Mum" which we'd never
criticize. (In fact, I think it's charming.) My 93-year-old mother
was "Mom" to us to her dying day. I am Mom to all seven of my
children, sons- and daughters-in-law, friends of the kids, and, in one
instance, the US Postal Service!! Wouldn't have it any other way!
Sorry it's offensive "over there."

Jeanne
Old March 26th 04, 07:42 PM
LAL

"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

Greetings...

It's not to make you feel ancient, it's to show respect. As a proper GRITS
(Girl Raised In The South), I will use ma'am to women I ~know~ are younger
than me when they're in charge and I'm asking them to do something for me
(IE: at the DMV getting my licence renewed, in a store asking for help).
Remember, it's not always what happens to you. It's how you choose to
react.

lal

Old March 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Jo Firey

It's American. Mine was Mother or Mom. And there was no lack of affection
in calling her mother. It's just a little old fashioned here.

But the other parent was always Daddy. Go figure.

Jo

Old March 26th 04, 08:02 PM
David Stevenson

Kreisleriana wrote
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:12:00 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
yodeled:

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

I'm 43 years old, and I refer to "my mom." Exactly what is wrong with
that? What you you call your mom? "Mater"?

Mum, mummy.

I thought I said that?