Worrying...

Old July 1st 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Worrying...

Since Saturday, I've been feeling unusually tired. Doesn't matter
how much sleep I get (and on the weekend, I can sleep 12 hours in one
night), I've been exhausted. I've also had a headache every day, and
I've felt like I'm totally out of shape, that even the slightest bit
of exertion makes me winded. I've been thinking that maybe I had a
virus. Today I started having lower back pain, so I called my HMO and
made an appointment. I'm going in at 6PM. (HMO = tightly controlled
medical corporation, dedicated to saving money.)

Anyway, a little while ago it suddenly occurred to me that I might
have carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't know why - as far as I know, my
gas stove and hot water heater are functioning OK. But I decided to look
up the symptoms just in case.

On the first three sites I found, symptoms of low-grade CO poisoning

* headache
* fatigue
* dizziness
* shortness of breath on exertion

I haven't had dizziness, but I definitely have the other 3. So I will
ask for a CO test tonight. My HMO is really bad and they deny almost
everything, but I'm prepared to put up a fight.

But now I'm worrying about Roxy and Licky (Smudge is outside, at least).
They seemed OK, but how would I know if they have headaches? Fatigue I
might notice, but then, cats sleep so much it's hard to tell. Their
appetites have been just fine - but then, so has mine.

Should I rush home? But, rush home and do *what*, exactly? Put them in
a carrier, and take them... where? Shouldn't I get the test first, to
be sure? But what if I get home and they're really sick? Maybe I should
call my neighbor and ask her to go upstairs and open all my windows?

Do I sound really neurotic, or is this a realistic fear? I have a gas
stove and gas water heater. Everything else is electric. Obviously, I
don't have a CO monitor, or that would have gone off if there was a
problem.

One other thing: I have felt just as bad when I'm out of the house as when
I'm home. I gather that people who are exposed to low levels of CO in
their homes will feel better when they're out of the house, getting fresher
air, and I'm out for many hours a day, but feel just as tired and headachy.

Any advice, anyone?

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 2nd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

I'd ask for the test this evening, but I suspect your problem has other
causes, particularly since you feel just as bad away from home. Many things
could cause your symptoms. It could be anemia, for instance.

Joy

Old July 2nd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte =^. .^=`

Joyce, yes, go get tested.
I know, HMO's are creeps.
Have you had a thyroid test?
It also 'might' be the smog.
'Please', for your own peace of mind, get a CO monitor.
And yes, have your neighbor open up the windows.
Is it really hot where you are? That might add to your symptoms.
Try NOT to worry..that will make it worse.
Please send me an e-mail to

(my Outlook e-mail sucks big time)
and let me know the results.
You'll be fine..your cats will be fine.
Puuuuurrs lovingly sent that all is well.
Love and Hugs
Kyla

Old July 2nd 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

it suddenly occurred to me that I might have carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's a lot commoner than people think. Marion's diagnosed it as an
unrecognized cause of chronic illness in her patients several times.
Get a detector, they're not expensive.

[...]
But now I'm worrying about Roxy and Licky (Smudge is outside, at least).
They seemed OK, but how would I know if they have headaches? Fatigue I
might notice, but then, cats sleep so much it's hard to tell. Their
appetites have been just fine - but then, so has mine.

CO is lighter than air so it tends to collect above floor level. Cats
tend to breathe air from lower down than humans, so they're at less
risk. (Conversely, they're at greater risk of poisoning from chemicals
in carpets, and can die from exposures that will only give their humans
a rash on their legs).

If you keel over, they should take your unnaturally pink corpse as a
warning sign.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old July 2nd 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

It's a lot commoner than people think. Marion's diagnosed it as an
unrecognized cause of chronic illness in her patients several times.
Get a detector, they're not expensive.

I think I will, after this. Even if this doesn't turn out to be CO. I
don't want to have to worry like this anymore.

CO is lighter than air so it tends to collect above floor level. Cats
tend to breathe air from lower down than humans, so they're at less
risk.

That is really good to hear. I have really been a bit freaked about it.
I hope this isn't the day Roxy decides to sleep on the really high
bookshelf, which isn't far from the ceiling. (Most of the time, I find
her on the bed, the couch, or a chair, so that's unlikely.)

(Conversely, they're at greater risk of poisoning from chemicals
in carpets, and can die from exposures that will only give their humans
a rash on their legs).

Hmm. I get rashes on my legs when I sit on the carpet wearing shorts...
But I've lived there for 9 years, so I would imagine that if the cats
were going to get deathly ill from the carpet, they would've by now.
I do know they can get hyperthyroid from flame retardant chemicals.

If you keel over, they should take your unnaturally pink corpse as a
warning sign.

I guess if I'm a corpse, it's too late for warnings...

I saw that, about the pink coloring, when I was reading about it earlier
this afternoon. However, I'm not at home right now, and I expect I'd be
more likely to keel over when at home breathing the stuff. By that time,
I will have had a test, as long as the HMO doesn't give me some crap
about how it's too time-consuming to do it now. I know it can be - I had
the test once, about 15 years ago (negative), and it took about 45 minutes
or more.

Old July 2nd 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, look at the fire maps. Its a wonder you can breathe at all in
any part of California. Even with blue sky and a bay breeze, there is
enough particulate in the air to choke a horse.

I hope they can make you feel better, but I'd guess the cats will be
OK.

(Its so bad here that not only are all the swimming pools etc closed
and we have been told to keep the kids inside, we have also been told
to keep the pets inside.)

Jo

Old July 2nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message
Since Saturday, I've been feeling unusually tired. Doesn't matter
how much sleep I get (and on the weekend, I can sleep 12 hours in one
night), I've been exhausted. I've also had a headache every day, and
I've felt like I'm totally out of shape, that even the slightest bit
of exertion makes me winded. I've been thinking that maybe I had a
virus. Today I started having lower back pain, so I called my HMO and
made an appointment. I'm going in at 6PM. (HMO = tightly controlled
medical corporation, dedicated to saving money.)

The odds are that what you have isn't CO poisoning. There are many
conditions with the same or similar symptoms, including depression. So, by
this time you should know what is going on, so please let us know how you
are doing. I'll be thinking of you.

Pam S.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:01:37 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

wrote in message
Since Saturday, I've been feeling unusually tired. Doesn't matter how
much sleep I get (and on the weekend, I can sleep 12 hours in one
night), I've been exhausted. I've also had a headache every day, and
I've felt like I'm totally out of shape, that even the slightest bit of
exertion makes me winded. I've been thinking that maybe I had a virus.
Today I started having lower back pain, so I called my HMO and made an
appointment. I'm going in at 6PM. (HMO = tightly controlled medical
corporation, dedicated to saving money.)

The odds are that what you have isn't CO poisoning. There are many
conditions with the same or similar symptoms, including depression. So,
by this time you should know what is going on, so please let us know how
you are doing. I'll be thinking of you.

Pam S.

Disrupted sleep patterns, for any of many different reasons, can also
cause such fatigue. The sudden onset makes it unlikely to be apnea,
which is a chronic condition. Has there been an unusual amount of
background noise, such as noisy neighbors or road construction having
directed more traffic than usual past your home?

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 2nd 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

I don't have any medical information. However, I have two carbon monoxide
detectors (one for my bedroom and one for the guest bedroom) that I got at
WalMart. I got the type that plug directly into an outlet -- that is, the
type that does *not* need to be mounted on a wall with a cord extending to
the outlet. I think it is a very good idea to keep them always plugged in.
The ones I got have very large numerals to show if there is any carbon
dioxide present, and they also have a loud alarm to sound an alert.

MaryL

Old July 2nd 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

wrote:
[...]

No advice but here's hoping the test came out negative for CO and that
they can find the real problem quickly.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe