Fences - Cats - DIY?

Old September 11th 12, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

dgk wrote:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:00:29 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 00:06:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote:

Well, to bring the discussion back to cats, I take in strays and
feed them and water them, and offer them a warm place to sleep in
the Winter time. What I don't do is imprison them. They were free
when they came to me, and they remain free while they are with
me. Part of the reason they choose to stay with me is the fact
that the door is always open. Both for me and for them. Slavery
ended (or should have ended) back in the 19th century, both for
animals and men.

Tell the truth, **** for brains... you're another of those lazy
cheap *******s who can't exert themselves to deal with litter and
pay for it... you don't take the cat to a vet and you feed it the
cheapest crap food you can find because this isn't the first time
you made believe you are caring for an animal because you know
there's no reason to make any investment in yet another cat that
you'll find flattened in the road. I've met lots of fake
do-gooders like you... I don't believe a word you said, you don't
feed any cat, you're just trolling.

I tried to take in two strays once but Maui (my old cat) wouldn't
have them. I couldn't really afford three cats at the time anyway.
I had a feed store say that they would take them but they wound up
not doing it. They loaned me a big kennel for them and I could at
least let them sleep in that on the freezing nights in my house.
It was the only thing that kept them safe from Maui. And they
willingly came in to sleep. I did feed them.

Then my husband (we were not married yet) called around and found a
shelter that would take them if he would pay to have them spayed
and neutered, which he did.

Hopefully they went to a good home.

Hopefully. I'm always afraid to take cats to any organization other
than a no-kill shelter. And even that can be a problem because the
cat can stay in a small cage for a very long time. No fun for the
cat. PETA thinks that it's better for the cats to be PTS rather
than live their life in a no-kill shelter. It's a reasonable
arugment.

I think so too. All of my cats were free as the wind when I got
them, and living with me, they remain free. I would rather put them
down than imprison them in a cage 24/7. My cats and I believe as
Patrick Henry believed: Give me liberty or give me death! As I said
here once befo Only a stupid liberal thinks length of life is
more important than quality of life.

Both count. Liberty is important but so is food and a nice place to
sleep.

Absolutely! And my cats hase both. but it is a dangerous world, and there
are many hazards for outsice cats. Life itself is hazardous, however, and
you can't get out of it alive. As the gambler once said, "You can't win, you
can't break even, and you can't even get out of the game." So, in my humble
opinion, you might as well enjoy yourself while you are ahead, and play
every hand like it was your last.....

Old September 11th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Higgs Boson wrote:

"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

What gave you that idea?

HB

The hundreds of them that I had to live and work with in California for over
40 years..... They would do anything to promote my "good health", whether I
wanted it or not. An example? Putting their kids tooth medicine in my
drinking water. And, believe me, there are many more.....

Old September 12th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Higgs Boson

wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
m...
"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Hic jacet lapin! Fluoridation. Betcha the other examples are on the
same level...

Brings back fond memories of a film I must have seen a dozen times,
and it gets better each time: DR. STANGELOVE. Perhaps the late Peter
Sellers' greatest performance... Screenplay by Stanley Kubrick,
Terry Southern, and Peter George.

Remember that marvelous scene where General Jack D. Ripper... well,
read this excerpt from:

http://citation.allacademic.com/meta...p414592-21.php

" Black comedy focuses on topics that are typically treated very
seriously, including death and war. The classic film Dr. Strangelove
or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), which
concerned the "doomsday" prospect of thermonuclear war during the
cold war, perfectly exemplifies the genre of black comedy and
highlights its ability to offer a viable alternative narrative form.
In the film, a crazed Air Force General – even his name was
satirical, Jack. D. Ripper – comically (not tragically!) initiates a
nuclear attack because of his belief that a communist conspiracy
explained the fluoridation of the nation's water supply. Ripper
claimed that such efforts would "sap and impurify all of our precious
bodily fluids." 40 The film ridicules 40 See Dr. Strangelove: A
Continuity Transcript." Available at http://www.visual- memory.co.uk/
amk/doc/0055.html."

HB
Old September 16th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Higgs Boson wrote:

Hic jacet lapin! Fluoridation. Betcha the other examples are on the
same level...

Yes. - The unconstitutional level. Like taking $4000 of my tax money and
giving it to that welfare bum down the block with rusty cars all over his
front lawn so he could buy himself a new car, while I pedeled a bicycle to
work for ten years.... You better vote early next November, cause when I
vote, I will be so mad I will tear the lever off the machine.....

Old September 17th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Higgs Boson

On Sep 15, 5:16*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Hic jacet lapin! *Fluoridation. *Betcha the other examples are on the
same level...

Yes. - The unconstitutional level. Like taking $4000 of my tax money and
giving it to that welfare bum down the block with rusty cars all over his
front lawn so he could buy himself a new car, while I pedeled a bicycle to
work for ten years.... You better vote early next November, cause when I
vote, I will be so mad I will tear the lever off the machine.....

I AM voting early Thought I would be out of the country, so ordered
an ballot that's supposed to arrive early Oct.

If you tear off the lever, your vote might not count, and you would
probably be arrested.

Hmm....OK, go ahead...

HB

Old October 27th 12, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bob F

dgk wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:59:00 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Old October 28th 12, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If you grow
veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are naturally wild
animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping them inside is like
keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive, but what is their quality of
life? For me, quality beats quantity in almost evry case.

Old October 29th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
David E. Ross

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Spinach gets lots of poop on it, from birds and other animals. If you grow
veggies, you better wash them before you eat them. Cats are naturally wild
animals. Like Elsa. they were "born free". Keeping them inside is like
keeping a bird in a cage. It keeps them alive, but what is their quality of
life? For me, quality beats quantity in almost evry case.

The quality of my own life depends on not having new plants dug up by a
cat for a toilet because it found the soil there soft and easily dug.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old October 29th 12, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Billy[_3_]

Gas Bag wrote:

[...]

Forget cats, I have raccoons, and put down chicken wire to discourage
them.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old October 29th 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Moe DeLoughan

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

And neighbor's love cat poop in their spinach.

Responsible cat owners who want their pets to experience the outdoors
have a number of options that will permit cats to safely do so, and
without posing a nuisance to neighbors. Permanent solutions: fence
their yard or build a catio. Temporary solutions are Kittywalks and
pet pup tents. Both are made of heavy mesh, fold for storage, and are
appropriate for use under direct supervision. They won't protect a cat
from a predator, so the owner should only use them when s/he is at
home and able to keep an eye on the cat(s).