Driving cats around town

Old October 10th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

Default Driving cats around town

Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with
a window open (like dog owners do)?

Old October 10th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:42:41 PM UTC-5, FragSinatra wrote:
Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about with

a window open (like dog owners do)?

I am hoping this is a serious question and not a troll. NO, it is not ok. Most cats don't travel well in the car, and even if they do, it's just not safe. About 12 years ago, I was driving back from a trip after visiting relatives. I had my cat (in a carrier) in the car and got into an accident. I can still see his carrier flying up off the seat as I collided with the other car.

Fortunately, we were both uninjured . . .but that is why you should use carriers. Accidents happen.
Old October 10th 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about
with a window open (like dog owners do)?

Its, "OK", but its dangerous, because cats will sometimes get between your
feet and the pedels, and in order to stop, you will have to crush the cat.
But, if your cat stays on the rear deck, then its OK. None of mine like to
travel in the car. If they sleep there, and I don't see them in the morning
when I leave, they start mewing before aI hit the end of the block, and I
stop and let them out.

Old October 11th 12, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

FragSinatra wrote:

My mom used to take her cat out for short Sunday drives
around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25 MPH). It
seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine
and never attempted to jump out of the car.

For that type of outing, I would sooner recommend a cat stroller. Safer
for the cat, and healthier for the caregiver and the environment.
--

Wayne M.
Old October 11th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:35:18 AM UTC-5, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:

My mom used to take her cat out for short Sunday drives

around the neighborhood at slow speeds (25 MPH). It

seemed like her cat enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine

and never attempted to jump out of the car.

For that type of outing, I would sooner recommend a cat stroller. Safer

for the cat, and healthier for the caregiver and the environment.

ITA with this. If you truly want your cat to have some fresh air, use a pet stroller.

Rene

Old October 12th 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Gandalf wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:42:40 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra
wrote:

Is it OK to drive cats around town without being caged? What about
with a window open (like dog owners do)?

It could be VERY dangerous to have a cat in your car, not in a
carrier.

If the that gets scared, it could attack the driver, causing a serious
accident, and/or death.

If you have to suddenly slam on the brakes, the cat could fly off the
seat, hit the dashboard, get really scared, attack the driver, and
cause a serious accident and/or death.

If you get in a car accident, your cat could be seriously injured, or
killed, or simply escape from your car, and be lost.

There are other bad things that can happen, if you have a cat loose in
your car.

I ALWAYS transport my cat in a carrier, placing the carrier on the
back seat, and wrapping the seat belt around the carrier to prevent
it from moving in case of a traffic mishap.

It takes only a few extra minutes, but I know that my cat is as safe
as possible on the trip to and from the veterinarian, once a year.

I do better than that. We have a roving cat hospital that comes to our house
and checks out the cats, so we don't have to take them anywhere. But we have
one cat we got from the neighbors across the street, that came all the way
out to Oregon from Connecticut in a car. (I don't know whether she was in a
cat carrier or not)