Beware of this Ragdoll breeder

Old January 7th 05, 01:24 AM

Default Beware of this Ragdoll breeder

I just bought a ragdoll kitten for $600 from weepurrs (Phyllis
Mikesell) in Calgary. The kitten has been diagnosed with Feline
Infectious Peritonitis, which he got from his mother and will kill him.

The breeder has a one year health guarantee but has refused to return
any of my calls. The vet says he sees this all the time and that I will
probably never see my money again. Worse, I have two children who have
to probably put their beloved kitty to sleep.

Her house smelled TERRIBLE when I picked up the cat. Being an
unexperienced cat buyer I thought this may be normal for a cattery but
IT IS NOT!

Please do not make the same mistake I made. If you have a bad feeling
about the breeder, walk away.
And DO NOT buy a cat from this cattery.

Thanks

Old January 7th 05, 02:20 AM

Thanks, Stormlady .... unfortunately I did not get ANYTHING in writing.
I paid her cash. I had my kids with me and we were so excited to get
Simon home that I didn't get any paperwork. I know - I probably
deserve to have been cheated. (blush)

I just hope that this posting will prevent this from happening to other
inexperienced cat buyers and that woman will never make another DIME
off a kitten.

Old January 7th 05, 04:06 AM
Tracy

Six hundred dollars is a lot of money. Next time, maybe find a
friendly, approachable cat at your local shelter. That's how we'll put
these loons out of business. No more buying cats - just adopting cats :

Old January 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Mary

"Tracy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Six hundred dollars is a lot of money. Next time, maybe find a
friendly, approachable cat at your local shelter. That's how we'll put
these loons out of business. No more buying cats - just adopting cats :

What a wonderful idea, Tracy.

Old January 7th 05, 04:34 AM
Mathew Kagis

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a ragdoll kitten for $600 from weepurrs (Phyllis
Mikesell) in Calgary. The kitten has been diagnosed with Feline
Infectious Peritonitis, which he got from his mother and will kill him.

The breeder has a one year health guarantee but has refused to return
any of my calls. The vet says he sees this all the time and that I will
probably never see my money again. Worse, I have two children who have
to probably put their beloved kitty to sleep.

Her house smelled TERRIBLE when I picked up the cat. Being an
unexperienced cat buyer I thought this may be normal for a cattery but
IT IS NOT!

SNIP

THAT SUCKS!!!! I'd say report the biz to the Canadian SPCA, the Better
Buiseness Bureau & your local health inspector. A call from a laywer or the
RCMP informing her you're intending on filing a complaint might just get
your money back. Good Luck... Let us know what happens.
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old January 7th 05, 04:49 AM

The more I read about breeder horror stories (not to mention the
genetic defects that many of these purebred cats have) the more I am
convinced that I will do just that - adopt a nice kitty from a shelter.
There is an organization called A.R.F. (Animal Rescue Foundation) here
in town whose web site I have visited - there are some beautiful cats
that I think would make a fine addition to our family.
Thanks for the kind words :-)

Old January 7th 05, 04:58 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
The more I read about breeder horror stories (not to mention the
genetic defects that many of these purebred cats have) the more I am
convinced that I will do just that - adopt a nice kitty from a shelter.
There is an organization called A.R.F. (Animal Rescue Foundation) here
in town whose web site I have visited - there are some beautiful cats
that I think would make a fine addition to our family.
Thanks for the kind words :-)

The most wonderful cat I have every had came from a shelter.
If you get a young adult that has been at the shelter for a few months,
you get a fully socialized cat that is pretty much guaranteed to eliminate
where it is supposed to, and the volunteers have had time to watch and
get to know it, so that they can tell you things like, does it like other
cats,
kids, dogs, etc. My neighbor got a lovely Ragdoll (or Ragdoll lookalike)
from my local no-kill shelter last year, and they just love her. Needless
to say, they have lots of kitten too, if that is what you want.

Old January 7th 05, 05:46 PM
Yngver

wrote in message
roups.com...
I just bought a ragdoll kitten for $600 from weepurrs (Phyllis
Mikesell) in Calgary. The kitten has been diagnosed with Feline
Infectious Peritonitis, which he got from his mother and will kill him.

The breeder has a one year health guarantee but has refused to return
any of my calls. The vet says he sees this all the time and that I will
probably never see my money again. Worse, I have two children who have
to probably put their beloved kitty to sleep.

Exactly how was this kitten diagnosed with FIP? FIP is very difficult to
diagnose, and the majority of cats diagnosed with FIP do not have it. If the
vet is just going on the basis of the so-called FIP test, that actually only
indicates exposure to the feline coronavirus. In a few cats, the coronavirus
will mutate into FIP, but most cats that test "positive" (a high titer) for FIP
do not have it and never develop it.

If the kitten is not currently sick but just has a high titer, it's unlikely he
will develop FIP. I would also question how the diagnosis of FIP was arrived at
with the mother, if she is in good health.

FeLV testing & breeder responsibility Gail Futoran Cat health & behaviour 12 September 13th 04 05:24 PM
ragdoll star625 Cat rescue 6 June 22nd 04 12:08 AM
ragdoll star625 Cat rescue 8 June 19th 04 10:08 PM
Life as a breeder (of cats!!) Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 14 April 6th 04 07:35 AM
ragdoll cats???? kittykat Cat rescue 6 October 2nd 03 11:06 PM