Totally OT. Richard III

Old February 8th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Totally OT. Richard III

jmcquown wrote:

The mode of dress for those at court, at least as we perceive it today
based on paintings and the like, was gorgeous. But no doubt also
extremely uncomfortable, not to mention hot regardless of the time of year.

I'm glad I live in a time when I can walk around in shorts and a tank
top without being locked in a dungeon, accused of flirting (or worse)!

A time *and* a place. There are still places in the world where women
can be severely punished for revealing too much skin - by which I mean
things like a forearm or a calf...

And even in places where it's not considered criminal to dress in shorts
and a tank top, it can be seen as just way too casual. Americans are often
seen as slobs in other countries because we are so casual about our dress
in public places. Personally, that casualness is something I really love
about our culture!

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old February 8th 13, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

It was revealed yesterday that the bones dug up in the Social Services
car
park in Leicester, my home time were definitely those of Richard III,
our
most notorious king.
I worked in the building next to that site for a few years and there
were
many rumours that the building was haunted and some colleagues said
that
they had seen "something" if they were working late. It was a shadowy
thing, but it scared them.

I've never seen a ghost but I had a strange experience. I went down to
the
extensive cellar to retrieve a case file. I had done this many times
(as my
colleagues were afraid of the haunting rumours so I had to do it)
When I got to the bottom of the cellar steps I got the feeling you get
when
you are about to bump into a lamp post that you
just noticed you might bang your head on within inches.
There was something there. I could not see anything.

I went back upstairs and told my colleagues. I thought they might
laugh but
they didn't.
They said "you just met the ghost"

Now Leicester and York both want to bury his bones. York say he should
be
buried in York Minster but the problem is that is that he has been
buried in
Leicester for 500 years and it was a condition of his exhumation
(should it
be proved it was him, and it is) that he should be reburied in
Leicester
Cathedral near where he was found.
Myself, I would like him to go back to York, where he had his home. But
there seems to be an argument. Like "we found him and so he is ours"
It was amazing how they proved it. They took a DNA sample from his
sister's
14th generation and it matched with the DNA of Richard III from his
bones.
Whether he killed his nephews to gain the throne, I don't know. (I
suspect
he did) but there is a Richard III society that claims he is
misunderstood.
Anyway, we have found him.

I guess nobody knows where he would have wanted to be buried? It seems to
me that if that is known, that's where he should go. If his ghost has
been
wandering around all these centuries, maybe that's because he didn't want
his bones to remain in Leicester until they turned to dust?

--

I didn't see a ghost (luckily) but I did experience what I said. It was
like nothing I've ever known. Something blocked my path in the Greyfriars

I don't believe in them either but I know there was something that made
recoil from "you are just about to bump into something" which was not
there.
It did scare me a bit but not enough to not to go into the cellar again.
I was the only person who would go down there to retrieve files and I did
it many times and only had a ghostly experience once.

My colleagues would not go down there. At all. Ever.
There was certainly a presence but whether it was Richard III I don't
know.

I am very glad he has been found. I was not so happy to find out that he
was stabbed again on his way back from Bosworth, dead, on the back of a
horse.

I cannot know whether he killed his nephews, maybe he did, maybe he didn't
but as a King he deserves more than a car park.
My preference would be to send him back to York where he belongs.
I suspect Leicester wants to keep him for tourism purposes.
IME he should be finally buried in York, which is where he had his land.
He was very brave to battle with Henry Tudor (whose mother made him him do
it)
Anyway Richard, he lost. He was killed.
So then we got the Tudors. Henry VII.
Allegedly he was weird.

Old February 8th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell wrote:

... It is said he killed his nephews to get to the
throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they disappeared

Everybody knows Basil Rathbone had Boris Karloff do it.

Bud

Old February 9th 13, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell
wrote:

... It is said he killed his nephews to get to the
throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they disappeared

Everybody knows Basil Rathbone had Boris Karloff do it.

Bud

?!

On the news yesterday there were people queueing up to see the exhibition
(replica of his skeleton) Not him of course.
One woman who was interviewed had come from New York. She said that "once I
knew it was him on Monday I jumped on a on a plane on Tuesday."

Old February 9th 13, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell
wrote:

... It is said he killed his nephews to get to
the throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they
disappeared

Everybody knows Basil Rathbone had Boris Karloff do it.

Bud

?!

On the news yesterday there were people queueing up to see the
exhibition (replica of his skeleton) Not him of course. One woman who
was interviewed had come from New York. She said that "once I knew it
was him on Monday I jumped on a on a plane on Tuesday."

I read today that after analysis of letters Richard 111 had written that
his dialect was most like that of Dudley. Would you believe that?

Don't know but I would say very unlikely.

Old February 11th 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell
wrote:

... It is said he killed his nephews to get to the
throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they disappeared

Everybody knows Basil Rathbone had Boris Karloff do it.

Bud

?!

"Tower of London", 1939. Basil Rathbone played Richard III and Boris
Karloff played his fictional executioner who did the dirty work of
eliminating Richard's rivals.

Bud

Old February 12th 13, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2013-02-09, Christina Websell

On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell
wrote:

... It is said he killed his nephews to get to
the
throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they disappeared

Everybody knows Basil Rathbone had Boris Karloff do it.

Bud

?!

"Tower of London", 1939. Basil Rathbone played Richard III and Boris
Karloff played his fictional executioner who did the dirty work of
eliminating Richard's rivals.

Bud

Ah, thanks, I haven't seen that film.
Whether he dunnit or not, I don't know. Probably. It was a whole
different ball game to get to the throne here in 1485.
The Richard III Society
http://www.richardiii.net/
claim he was misunderstood and was somehow a great man.
Maybe he was but no king or queen of England has ever been lost before, and
there was evidence on his skeleton of what they called "humiliation
injuries", a stab through the buttocks that made a mark on his pelvic bone,
probably when he was already dead and being brought naked over the back of a
horse from Bosworth to Leicester where he was buried. He was obviously not
popular here.

Leicester has already set up an exhibition about the find and the tourists
are flocking in to see a replica of his skeleton etc. Last night the TV
crew interviewed a woman from New York who was queueing up to see it. She
said "When I saw it on the TV, I got a flight here the next day to see
him."
There is an American branch of the Richard III Society, maybe she was a
member.
The problem we will have is "we found him here, so he is ours" and York, who
quite rightly say he is "Richard of York" and should go back there. Despite
the tourism opportunity for Leicester, my home town, my personal opinion is
it is fine for set up an exhibition here because that was truly a wonderful
find here, but next year when they finally bury him finally, it should be in
York.
I find medieval English history interesting.

Luckily we have moved on from smothering nephews and beheading people on
trumped up charges to gain the throne.

I would not want it. I don't care how rich the present Queen is, she does
not lead a normal life. Her children were mucked up by her leaving them
all the time with nannies to fulfil her duties,

But when you are Queen you simply have to do it/
Tweed

Old February 12th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2013-02-09, Christina Websell

On 2013-02-05, Christina Websell
wrote:

[...]

Surely her children are no more mucked up than anyone elses? So they've
had a few failed marriages among them. That's more common than not these
days, and so are children with both parents working outside the home.

--
Cheryl