Totally OT. Richard III

Old February 5th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Totally OT. Richard III

It was revealed yesterday that the bones dug up in the Social Services car
park in Leicester, my home time were definitely those of Richard III, our
most notorious king.
I worked in the building next to that site for a few years and there were
many rumours that the building was haunted and some colleagues said that
they had seen "something" if they were working late. It was a shadowy
thing, but it scared them.

I've never seen a ghost but I had a strange experience. I went down to the
extensive cellar to retrieve a case file. I had done this many times (as my
colleagues were afraid of the haunting rumours so I had to do it)
When I got to the bottom of the cellar steps I got the feeling you get when
you are about to bump into a lamp post that you
just noticed you might bang your head on within inches.
There was something there. I could not see anything.

I went back upstairs and told my colleagues. I thought they might laugh but
they didn't.
They said "you just met the ghost"

Now Leicester and York both want to bury his bones. York say he should be
buried in York Minster but the problem is that is that he has been buried in
Leicester for 500 years and it was a condition of his exhumation (should it
be proved it was him, and it is) that he should be reburied in Leicester
Cathedral near where he was found.
Myself, I would like him to go back to York, where he had his home. But
there seems to be an argument. Like "we found him and so he is ours"
It was amazing how they proved it. They took a DNA sample from his sister's
14th generation and it matched with the DNA of Richard III from his bones.
Whether he killed his nephews to gain the throne, I don't know. (I suspect
he did) but there is a Richard III society that claims he is misunderstood.
Anyway, we have found him.

Old February 5th 13, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

I saw that on the news last night! Positively indentified by DNA. How
fascinating he's been there all those (what, 500?) years? I do hope
they don't argue too long about where he should finally rest.

Jill
Old February 5th 13, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I guess nobody knows where he would have wanted to be buried? It seems to
me that if that is known, that's where he should go. If his ghost has been
wandering around all these centuries, maybe that's because he didn't want
his bones to remain in Leicester until they turned to dust?

--
Joyce - doesn't seriously believe in ghosts, but frankly, would like to

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that."
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels

Old February 5th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message

Joyce - doesn't seriously believe in ghosts, but frankly, would like to

I feel the same way. I'm not sure why. I once visited a restaurant that
had a room that was supposed to be haunted. I spent some time alone in that
room, hoping to meet the ghost, but she never showed up.

Joy

Old February 5th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/5/2013 4:58 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Lots of speculation is being bandied about. I think it's amazing how
they found King Richard and verified it is him. Wonders never cease.

Never encountered a ghost? I have. He wasn't friendly.

Jill
Old February 5th 13, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Although he was here for 500 years I would like him to get back to York. He
was Richard of York after all, Yes, he did die here in the battle of
Bosworth and then the Tudors took over.
He has been found here and some want him buried in our cathedral, yards
where he was found.
I think he should be buried in York Minster or even Westminster Abbey.
He was a king whether you approved of him or not. some say he was
ruthless, others say not. It is said he killed his nephews to get to the
throne. He put them into the Tower of London and then they disappeared

rne

Old February 5th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I'm merely saying I hope
it is not a protracted battle (pardon the pun) over where he should
rest. If York was the seat of the empire when he ruled, by all means
take him to York.

I don't know much about the War of the Roses or the succession of the
Tudors. That era is interesting but not something I've studied. I do
envy the Brits and countries that have that much recorded history.

Jill
Old February 5th 13, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Will you tell us about it, or would you rather not?

Joy

Old February 5th 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I am in favour that he returns to York.
I am not a fanciful person but there was something in that cellar and then
we got Richard III yards away now. Make of it what you will.
I didn't see a ghost but was pushed back like I said, Like I was about to
hit myself on something that was was not there.

Old February 5th 13, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ghosts: (WAS: Totally OT. Richard III)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 2/5/2013 5:43 PM, Joy wrote:
Lots of speculation is being bandied about. I think it's amazing how they
found King Richard and verified it is him. Wonders never cease.

Never encountered a ghost? I have. He wasn't friendly.

Jill

Will you tell us about it, or would you rather not?

Joy

Oh, I thought I told this here many years ago. I don't mind telling it
again.

Before I got married (1982) my ex-husband rented what is called a
"shotgun house". A shotgun house is a house with one room right after
the other without any hallways. You could fire a shotgun from the front
door straight through to the back. Hence the name.

This little house was behind what used to be the main house of an old
plantation. (We're not talking a 'Gone With the Wind' mantion. They
were probably just modest farmers who gradually had to sell off most of
their land.)

Anyway, it was a fine day in April and I was over there putting things
away in the kitchen. There was a small front porch and an old wooden
screen door on a rusty spring. I heard the door open. The rusty spring
went "screeeech". Then the thump, thump of the wooden door banging
shut. I heard heavy bootsteps across the wooden floor of the living
room towards the bedroom. (The bedroom was between me and the kitchen.)

I thought it was my then-fiance. I called out. "I'm back here!" and
went back to what I was doing. A minute later I heard the "screeeech"
of the door spring and then thump thump as it closed. Again. Then more
bootsteps walking towards the back of the house. "I'm back here!"
Still no answer.

I looked out the kitchen window on the side of the house. There were no
cars. No one was where. Then suddenly it got *very* cold in the room
and I was overcome with a feeling of dread. I felt I just had to get
out of there. I left by the side kitchen door and walked home to my
parents' house (only a few blocks away).

My (then) finance called me at my parents house. Where are you? I'm
never setting foot in that place again!

The next day I met the two elderly sisters who owned the property and
had rented him the shotgun house. They were very gracious. But when I
described what had happened they got a little uncomfortable. Finally
one of the ladies told me in the 1950's it was the live-in caretakers
cottage. And the man was very jealous. He thought his wife was
cheating on him and they fought all the time. One day he came home
early (drunk by their account) trying to "catch her". He didn't catch
her, but he shot and killed her in the kitchen just the same.

All I know is I heard the door open and close, twice. No one there. I
heard the footsteps, twice. No one there. I felt the air chill and a
very heavy malevolence. It was enough to make me leave.

Jill