[OT] Going Home to New Orleans

Old November 19th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default [OT] Going Home to New Orleans

For Thanksgiving. We'll be staying with my daughter Erin and her family in
their newly renovated house (I'll take piccies). It will be the first time
I've seen my mom in almost 6 years - she's 81 years old and hasn't been the
same since she lost everything to Katrina. I'm going to see my brothers in
their new homes (not finished yet, but not everyone is as industrious as
Erin and Greg have been). I'm going to see childhood friends I haven't seen
in over 15 years!

However, as anxious as I am to see everyone, I'm very worried about seeing
my home town in its current devastation. I've seen all the pictures. (And
believe me, it's still almost as bad as right after the storm - did anyone
else see "Comic Relief" last night? It was dedicated to Katrina relief and
there was lots of stories and pictures of how bad it still is for almost
everyone.) But it's not the same as taking your childhood memories and
overlaying them with scenes from a disaster movie.

I'll check back in after we get back and post pictures.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 20th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:57:10 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Have a good time and forget the troubles (if possible). Who will care for
the furry ones? MLB

Old November 20th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I hope you find things to lighten the visit. When we went back to my home
town for a funeral two years ago, I was happily surprised that while there
has been tremendous change, a lot was still the same. I still knew the
short-cuts and back roads as though I'd never left.

There is a comfort to going home. Even just for a little while. Even if it
isn't what it was.

Jo

Old November 20th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
I'll check back in after we get back and post pictures.

I hope you have a great, even if bittersweet, time.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 20th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
gracecat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I guess some still see it as awful as it was. I'm in Louisiana, I have
family and friends down there. And it's come a long long way in a year. Sure
destruction remains, but it's not the hell hole that you paint a portrait
of.

Gracie
Proud of her home

Old November 20th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

We hired a pet sitter recommended by my vet. She's going to come twice a
day to feed, water, and scoop and she also does things like pick up the
mail, pick up any papers on the front lawn, and alternate lights on and off
in the house. She seems very nice and the cats took to her right away (they
usually have good judgment) - she even had pictures of her own kitties in
her wallet, so I feel very comfortable with her.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 20th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"gracecat" wrote in message
news

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I didn't mean to paint it as a hell hole. I'm only really sad that
the devastation is still so widespread. New Orleans proper is getting in
shape pretty quickly, but the surrounding parishes are not so lucky. They
still haven't even started bulldozing collapsed houses in most places!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 20th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I'll check back in after we get back and post pictures.

I hope you have a great, even if bittersweet, time.

Thanks Victor! Are you and Tom going to be in Houston for the holidays?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Old November 20th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
om...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, of course I will. Just seeing my family is going to be *SO* great!

Thanks Jo.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 20th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

CatNipped wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message
om...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I hope we'll see more pictures of Gypsy and Digger when you get back. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Sasha is home meow Cat health & behaviour 2 January 20th 06 05:07 PM
[OT] Rant CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 January 6th 06 12:36 AM
Minnie gets a new home! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 August 4th 04 09:14 AM
Finding home for cats Dee Falt Cats - misc 24 November 10th 03 08:59 PM
I'm Terminally ILL: MIssy & Rascal Need a Loving Home onlyThreeCats Cat community 5 September 4th 03 11:02 AM