Kindle questions - OT

Old June 11th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Kindle questions - OT

Thank you. This is very helpful.

--

Joy

Chwaraewn fel y mae

"Booker" wrote in message
I bought my DH a Kindle Touch WiFi, with ads, ran about $100. He uses it
all the time. I liked it so much I bought one for me and one for my mom.
Amazon has refurbished ones for $79. Same warranty as new.

Great blog for free books and specials:
http://blog.booksontheknob.org/

I have eye problems due to thyroid issues, and this is infinitely easier
to use for reading than my ipad. Not to mention that I can read sitting
outside, which is very difficult with the ipad (or kindle fire).

I also have the Kindle DX (larger model). I've pretty much switched to
using the Touch because it is much smaller and lighter.

Ads are not intrusive, and I've taken advantage of several.

It has basic web, so if you have one of the web based email accounts you
could use for email. I keep my ipad handy for email and web so I don't use
my kindle for that.

On 6/10/2012 3:41 PM, Joy wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me that
an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a
large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle, but
have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I
think
there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's definitely out
of
my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and the next one up,
which
has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What
are
its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a different
model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

Old June 11th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:56:43 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

Thank you. All of these responses are very helpful.

Joy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
One more thing: You can quickly build a library with a considerable
number of books. So, how do you locate particular books? First, you can
opt to arrange books by author, title, or most recently received. Or, you
can opt to create collections (as I have done) and place books into
general categories--for example, reference, classics, fiction (or break it
down further into mysteries, etc.). Within those collections, they will
be organized by author, title, or most recently received. You can also
archive books or even delete books from the device, but those books will
always be available for future download from your Kindle settings on
amazon.com. Some books can be loaned to other people for 14 days, but
that depends on the publisher. I have found that most of the books I
would like to lend to others are not yet enabled for sharing. I always
download books directly to my Kindle, but they can also be downloaded to
your computer and then later transferred to your Kindle.

MaryL

Thank you, Mary. I hadn't though about organizing the books, but you're
right. If I downloaded a number of them I'd definitely want to organize
them, so it's good to know there are so many options for doing so.

Joy

It's EASY to sort your books... but it's easiest if you do it as you
download them. You CAN download direct from your kindle, but I find it
easier to open up Amazon on my computer once a month and go to the
'top 100 free books' page. I can't seem to find that page on the
kindle itself, and I only 'buy' free books so it's all I'm interested
in. Scroll down the list and download anything that looks interesting.
Every five or ten books I pick up my kindle and sort them into my
basic categories (mystery, romance, etc.) while it's easy to remember
which one they belong in.

I have the slightly older kindle with a keyboard and I like it just
fine. I've only used the keyboard three or four times though, so it's
hardly essential. BUT - I wouldn't want the most basic kindle they
sell now. They saved money by taking the speakers off it so it has no
sound. I don't actually use the sound on my kindle but it's always
nice to know that if I really wanted to I could put an audiobook onto
it and let it read to me. John has been dithering about which kindle
to buy for ages and he finally settled on the Fire because it was on
sale and it comes with the ability to watch Amazon tv/movies on it.
We'll let you know how it works out in a few weeks - it just arrived
this morning.
Old June 11th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
om...
On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

I have what is now called the Kindle Keyboard, and a case. The case
is needed to protect the Kindle from wear and tear and comes with a
booklight. The Kindle Fire has a backlight built in. I also have more
than 100 titles so far. The nice thing is you can carry a lot of books
inside your Kindle. The bad thing is that you can't lend or give away
or sell your old Kindle e-books. The Kindle does come with a web browser.
The browser is barely adequate. The Kindle doesn't lend itself to
web browsing. I'd get a tablet computer if web browsing was important.

Bud

Thank you for this information. How big is the screen? How heavy is it?

No, web browsing isn't that important. I thought it would be nice to be
able to send email, but I could find other ways to do that if it's
important. OTOH, if you aren't visiting the web, what is the advantage of
the keyboard?

You can make notes on the books you are reading and save them. You can
enter your password/email to use your kindle together with Facebook.
And you can play games...

All the kindles are really lightweight, even with a cover on them. I
got a foldy cover for mine and a clipon booklight because it was
cheaper than the 'official' cover with the built-in light.
Old June 11th 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Kajikit" wrote in message

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:56:43 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, I almost always order my books from the computer instead of from the
Kindle--much easier. However, I do download directly to the Kindle.

MaryL

Old June 11th 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:56:43 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Okay, thanks.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Kajikit" wrote in message

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:56:43 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

news:vaCdndkOTaUx20jSnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

And the clip-on light works fine? About the cover - I just had a thought.
I've recently taken up crocheting again, after a hiatus of a few decades.
Maybe I could crochet a cover?

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Joy
wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me
that an e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to
taking a large number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle,
but I have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I
think there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's
definitely out of my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and
the next one up, which has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What
are its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a
different model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I, like you, love real books. To me there's nothing like the feel, the
smell and everything else of a book. Knowing this and the fact that I'd
told him that I didn't want a kindle, my DH was desperate to get me a nice
Christmas Present and unable to think of anything else, add this to the
fact that all the women at his school told him that I'd love it once I'd
got one, (he'd already bought me everything he could think of over the 40
years we've been together) he bought me a 3G kindle for Christmas. When I
opened it, my face said everything I was thinking and that expression is
now called the kindle face in our house. Within a couple of hours I'd
begun to warm to it. DH within a few weeks had bought me a tassimo coffee
maker to make up for the kindle (I love my coffee). The overall outcome
being that I love my kindle and I love my Tassimo.

I love being able to buy books instantly and be able to pick which one
I'll read at any time. It will never replace real books but a couple I've
read on my kindle, I've bought in paperback. Some I'm glad I hadn't bought
in paperback. I can surf the net but it's a bit slow and as I'm around
computers all the time I prefer to use them for email and surfing.

You do need enough light but only about the same as a book. I would
recommend you get one for your travels because you can always buy another
book, wherever you are.

Judith

--
Judith Latham

Thank you, Judith.

I would certainly use my computer for email and surfing at home, but it
would be nice to have that capability when I'm away.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message . ..

"Kajikit" wrote in message

All the kindles are really lightweight, even with a cover on them. I
got a foldy cover for mine and a clipon booklight because it was
cheaper than the 'official' cover with the built-in light.

And the clip-on light works fine? About the cover - I just had a thought.
I've recently taken up crocheting again, after a hiatus of a few decades.
Maybe I could crochet a cover?

Joy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really don't think a crochet cover would be suitable for Kindle. You need
something sturdy (and probably stiff) to protect the reader and also to give
you a good surface to hold. Here is a picture of the lighted leather cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...+leather+cover

This type will be much more protective than a crochet cover if something is
set on it or if it is dropped. You can buy the same cover without the
built-in light for about $20.00 less, and there are other types available.
I really like the built-in light instead of a clip-on light because I
frequently cover it with me in my purse, and the built-in light is always
available.

MaryL

Old June 12th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:03:54 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

I love being able to buy books instantly and be able to pick which one
I'll read at any time. It will never replace real books but a couple I've
read on my kindle, I've bought in paperback. Some I'm glad I hadn't bought
in paperback. I can surf the net but it's a bit slow and as I'm around
computers all the time I prefer to use them for email and surfing.

You do need enough light but only about the same as a book. I would
recommend you get one for your travels because you can always buy another
book, wherever you are.

Judith

You don't even have to buy try http://www.gutenberg.org/

Thank you. I'm saving all these urls.

Joy

kindle Patok[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 January 27th 12 07:18 AM
kindle Patok Cat anecdotes 6 January 27th 12 07:14 AM
e-book kindle googleGroupGuy Cat anecdotes 0 February 19th 11 10:43 PM
ot, kindle Stormmee Cat anecdotes 25 August 3rd 09 02:45 AM
Questions.... Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 2 September 5th 03 07:42 PM