Mouse toy gift

Old October 5th 14, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

Default Mouse toy gift

My wife crocheted our cat a large mouse and he rather likes to keep it
with him. One thing he likes to do, especially when everybody goes to
bed, is walk around with it in his mouth, meowing loudly. Another thing
he likes to do is to bring the mouse and deposit it in front of us.

What isn't clear is what the next step is supposed to be once he's
brought it. It doesn't appear to be a game of fetch. If we wiggle the
mouse around for him a bit he might bat at the tail some. I've wondered
if he's simply giving us the mouse as a token of esteem, but of course
we don't want to then just take it from him and deprive him of his toy.

Maybe there is some other way we are meant to respond?

-- Mark
Old October 8th 14, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
obsidianjg

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:28:57 AM UTC-4, Mark Carroll wrote:
My wife crocheted our cat a large mouse and he rather likes to keep it

with him. One thing he likes to do, especially when everybody goes to

bed, is walk around with it in his mouth, meowing loudly. Another thing

he likes to do is to bring the mouse and deposit it in front of us.

What isn't clear is what the next step is supposed to be once he's

brought it. It doesn't appear to be a game of fetch. If we wiggle the

mouse around for him a bit he might bat at the tail some. I've wondered

if he's simply giving us the mouse as a token of esteem, but of course

we don't want to then just take it from him and deprive him of his toy.

Maybe there is some other way we are meant to respond?

-- Mark

When my cat brings in a mouse, we usually trade for a treat.
In this case, why don't you take the mouse and then put ii back where he can see it after a while? I don't think he will mind.
Old October 13th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

obsidianjg writes:

When my cat brings in a mouse, we usually trade for a treat.
In this case, why don't you take the mouse and then put ii back where he can see it after a while? I don't think he will mind.

That is an idea, thank you.

I recently saw some video of a farm cat that meowed as it was carrying
prey to its kittens, it certainly reminded me of the behavior.

-- Mark

Not Really a Gift, but... jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 April 20th 11 12:16 PM
Panic Mouse Undercover Mouse - Does this product really work? chatnoir Cat health & behaviour 4 July 11th 09 08:43 PM
A Gift SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 15 September 15th 04 05:59 PM
Thank you for the gift Pam & Rob LAL Cat anecdotes 1 December 9th 03 10:26 PM