Antarctic Expedition

Old August 29th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Default Antarctic Expedition

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[The copter does fly into the shimmering light, and the copter
emerges on the other side in the air over the Antarctic.]

Ok, kitties and offurs, we'z real close! If you will look out da
windows on da left side of the copter youz will see Antarctica. Da
ice dat you see dere is the Ronne Ice Shelf, an da ice ahead of us
is da Antarctic Peninsula. We'z headed towards the northern tip of
da peninsula.

Ok, kitties, we'z just about over da Palmer Station. Da Larsen Ice
Shelf is right below us. Da broken glacier we'z looking for is
somewhere really close. Efurrybody please help me find where it is.

[After the copter has been flying a few minutes, Sammy meows over the
intercom]

Sammy: Dere, dere! Look, dere's a great big hyuje glacier dat's real
close to the ice shelf! I'll bet dat's it.

Ranger: I'll set up the GPS controller to fly us up the gap and look
for tunnels or heat sources.

[Francesca loops the capacopter back to the southern end of the gap
between the glacier and the Larsen C ice shelf, drops to an altitude
ust below the surface of the glacier, and starts the chopper cruising
slowly along the gap. The FLIR monitor beeps occasionally, prompting
Ranger to record the coordinates at which the beeps occurred. When
the chopper gets about 3/4 of the way along the gap the FLIR monitor
starts sounding a continuous tone - on both sides of the chopper.

Daisy-chan points out a big tunnel to the chopper's left (the ice
shelf side), while Sundance reports seeing another tunnel on the
chopper's right (on the glacier side). ]

Morgana: Look on the right, up on top of the glacier - is that cats?

[Sure enouth, a group of perhaps a dozen kitties and a few penguins
is standing on the surface of the glacier. They're waving and meowing
and jumping up and down. Francesca increases the choppers altitude
and swings over near where the kitties are. ]

Ranger: Da sonar shows solid ice below us, os it ought to be ok to
land.

[Francy sets the chopper down carefully, finally shutting off the
engines when it appears that the glacier surface is indeed strong
enough to support the chopper.

Morgana and Aed immediately open the chopper's door and dash over the
kitties.]

Aed: Hi! We were looking for the colony of cats we heard lived around
here. I assume you must be part of that catmunnity. Oh, let me
introduce myself. I'm Aed, this is Morgana, and the other kitties
arriving behind us will introduce themselves.

[A Norwegian Forest Cat cat steps up to Aed and offers a head butt]

Hihi! I'z Lars, an we iz indeed part of da catmunity you'z looking
for. At least we were, until dis happened! We'z was caught off guard
- we didn't expect dis to happen fur a few more years, so dere was a
dozen of usses on dis side of the break when it finally broke free.
We'z been in trouble! We din't haf much food stored on dis side, or
much fuel fur our heaters, so we'z been relying on our penguin
buddies here to keep us alive. Zoot, could you come over here,
please? Aed, dis is Zoot. He's da head of da penguins. Dey's been
bringing us fishes efurry day to keep usses from starving.
(whispering) and we'z getting purrty tired of eating fishies.

Zoot: Hewwo, Aed. Pweased to meet you. Are you hewe to hewp deze
kitties?

Aed: Yes, we are! We'z got food and cold weather gear, and we can
help get you back to the main community if you want.

Lars! Yes, pleeze!

[Francesca takes what looks like a really large, clumsy rifle out of
the catacopter cargo bay and walks over to the edge of the glacier.
Lying down on the ice she identifies the opening of the kitty tunnel
on the ice shelf itself, then she takes careful aim for the left side
of the tunnel and squeezes the trigger. A soft "pop" sounds, and a
big dart flies out the barrel of the rifle and sticks in the ice just
left of the tunnel mouth. She sights and fires again, and another
dart sticks on the ice just to the right of the tunnel mouth.]

Francesca: We wazn't able to teleport directly here, since we din't
know the exact coordinates fur da 'porter. An since da ice shelf
moves, da coordinates change wif time. But wif doze 2 beacons I just
installed, we can set da 'porter to go right between dem, and dat
will get us dere. Lars, Zoot, duz you guys want to 'port back to da
main tunnel now?

[Lars and Zoot both shout 'Yes!'

Ranger programs the portable teleporter for the coordinates right
between the 2 beacons, then iondicates that everything is ready.]

Francesca: Ok, guys, we'z set. If you step through dat shimmering
light, you should step out da other side on da main tunnel.

[Lars and Zoot both look kind of uncertain, not being familiar with
teleporters.]

Francesca: Here, watch.

[She steps into the 'porter and disappears. The kitties on the ice
immediately hear a loud whistle from the ice shelf side of the
tunnel. They run to the edge of the iceberg and see Francesca waving
to them from the main tunnel.

As soon as they see it works Lars runs off to gather the rest of the
stranded kitties and Zoot waddles off to gather the rest of the
penguins. They all walk through the 'porter, and a steady procession
of kitties and penguins emerges in the main tunnel through the ice
shelf.]

Cash guides Iowna to the line and along with Daisy-chan, they join the
trip. Lars gives them a startled sniff but can tell they are friendly.
He's not sure what to think of the sloppy kiss he gets from Iowna but
decides to grin. She's just like one of his favorite aunts.

Old August 29th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

(apologies for delay but it took a bit to unfuzzle this. I suspect
the copter landed and we are debarking now?)

Yep. Da copter flew into the 'porter, emerged in Antarctica, searched
until they found the huge glacier, landed, and have begun to interact
with the glacier kitties.

Ok! Sundance seems to not see you unless I quote you?

Old August 29th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

cshenk wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

aunts but in doggie form.

Clem and Cleo jump out. They havent found a northern home yet so came
along for the ride after escaping the doggie slavers. They see Zoot
and come to a complete awed halt.

"wow" says Clem.

"Awesome" says Cleo!

(whispering to one another, they remember before the slavers stole
them, a show called 'Happy Feet' and wonder if Zoot dances?)

They start tapping feet to a rythem. Iowna's head starts nodding in
time and she joins in... In a few minutes the puppies are air
guitaring a Cat Stevens song "Wild World". Zoot and some penguins
start grining and nodding along as they walk the path to the inner
caves.

Old August 29th 17, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sundance and/or Rebecca

Anti Sandy he Yes, I'm not seeing Dan's posts directly. (I think I'd see them no matter who quoted them, but I'm not sure.) Of course, that's just on my tablet; I haven't tried on my laptop lately.
Old September 2nd 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

]

[...]

Iowna, Daisy-Chan and Cash are having fun. They'd gotten all dressed
up in their boutique purchases before leaving the plane.

They all have booties/mukluks with ice grabber bottoms and tail
warmers. They dash off with the others to see what this new place has
to offer for fun!

They see the cave widen out to a glorious room. The ceiling is
polished ice so the sun lights it below. There are ice slides on the
top and now and again, you see a shadow as a Penguin slides by going
'whee!'

There is a long ladder partnered with a lift, to an upper ramp where
you can see north with little obstruction. It has a rail and long
icicles butress it to the floor so very stable.

One of the local kittahs explain it's a possible spot for the ball. It
has warm cushions with insulation to keep the ice cold under, and the
kittah (or gasp, doggah! she adds glancing about!) warm.

She snickers as Cash wags his tail, hot pink tail warmer and all, with
a big pompom on the end with a little bell. Who can be scared of a
doggie no matter how big if he's in a hot pink tail warmer with a
pompom and a bell on the end?

Meantime, Clem and Cleo sniff FUD! They run off to catch up with Zoot.

Old September 5th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Community Kitties[_3_]

[...]

Once everybody has teleported back to the Antarctic community's main
tunnels, Lars dashes off. A few minutes later a large, very fluffy
kitty appears.

Lars: Hi, efurrybody. Dis is Fernando, him is da mayor of IceVillage.
Fernando, dis is Francesca da Fierce, an dis is Rebecca, an Aed, an
Morgana, an Ranger, an DaisyChan, an Iowna, an Cash. Dey all rescued
usses!

Fernando: Hihi, firiends. Fangu for bring dem home, We had been trying
to fink of ways to get them home, but hadn't come up wif any ideas yet.
Ms. Fierce, Lars says dat you flew da big catacopter. Is dat da Harri
Roadcat logo I saw on da side?

Francesca: Yep, dat is one of the late Harri Roadcat's fleet. We
bringed it cuz it was big enough to carry a lot of kitties and a lot of
supplies. We din't know of you guys was ok wif your food supplies, an
we bringed some tools too.

Aed: Fernando, I come from the Second World Community - we live in a
realm under the earth and we have visited most of the known kitty
communities. Our legends mention a community that lived under the ice
and snow, but it also says that we lost contact many generations ago.
Would that by any chance be your catmunity?

Fernando: I fink so! Our history tells us about a time when we were
free to leave this world of tunnels and caves and visit all over, but
the ice tunnel that we passed through to get out of this area collapsed
a furry long time ago. Our historians haf found what dey fink is da
tunnel that was used, but no matter how much digging we do we never
clear away enough ice. We has colcanic steam heat to keep our living
quarters comfy, but when we try to run steam hoses to da collapsed
tunnel da steam gets too cold to help by da time it gets to da ice wall.

[Francesca disappears quietly]

Did I hear one of youz talking about holding a party or somefing here?
We duz haf a great ballroom dat we luv to use. Would it be big enuf for
youz?

Old September 22nd 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:47:13 AM UTC-7, Francesca the Fierce wrote:
Ok, sos it souns like we need to take a trip to da Antarctic to check
up on the kitty colony there, and to evaluate it as a possible Jellicle
Ball site. We can't directly 'port there, as we don't have da
corrdinates. But I haf access to all of Harri Roadcat's aircraft, and
haf learned to fly most of dem.

So how many wants to go along?

ANTARCTICA?!?!? I think some cats have been sniffing way too much 'nip!!!Have we held the Ball Italy?? We could hold the Ball in the CATacombs? I'd suggest Venice but there is a LOT of WATER there, something we've see way too much of!!! How about the Vatican!!!Now that would be way COOL!!! Why we would be right at home there!!!
Old September 26th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

Pipps sez to Ranger, what do you think where would you like to go fur the ball.

hmmmmmm?