Regarding panda young

Old July 19th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry

Default Regarding panda young

The panda baby suckled by a cat has regrettably died.
He was diagnosed to have choked on milk.....
I know, it sounds weird, but that was the explanation..
Old July 19th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
. ..
The panda baby suckled by a cat has regrettably died.
He was diagnosed to have choked on milk.....
I know, it sounds weird, but that was the explanation..

I have just posted about this in Nanny's thread.

Old July 19th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message

The panda baby suckled by a cat has regrettably died.
He was diagnosed to have choked on milk.....
I know, it sounds weird, but that was the explanation..

I have just posted about this in Nanny's thread.

I wonder if nursing on a cat had its risks? Maybe panda milk doesn't
flow as easily as cat milk, so the panda sucks harder than a kitten
would, and as a result, he got a lot more milk into his mouth at once
than he would've if he'd been suckling on his own mom? Just a wild
guess, I really have no idea. Maybe a panda mother knows certain dangers
to watch for with baby pandas that a cat mother wouldn't need to be
aware of?

Not that I think they made a mistake in giving him to the mother cat.
Obviously, it was the best situation available for the panda bitty,
who didn't have a lot of options.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 19th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message

The panda baby suckled by a cat has regrettably died.
He was diagnosed to have choked on milk.....
I know, it sounds weird, but that was the explanation..

I have just posted about this in Nanny's thread.

I wonder if nursing on a cat had its risks? Maybe panda milk doesn't
flow as easily as cat milk, so the panda sucks harder than a kitten
would, and as a result, he got a lot more milk into his mouth at once
than he would've if he'd been suckling on his own mom? Just a wild
guess, I really have no idea.

Well, it's a logical idea, Joyce, but even excess milk should not go into
the There is normally no connection at all between the "food pipe" and the
"wind pipe" Unless milk is forced down too quickly which will not happen if
he is suckling. I suspect human error here, unless as I said there is a
hole in his oesphagus which lines up with a hole in his trachea.

I have reared some orphaned babes myself, years ago. None of them got milk
in their trachea, and all lived to adulthood, which is how I know that a
mistake has been made here.

Tweed

Old July 19th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:17:32 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

The panda might have had some congenital defect.

Bud
Old July 19th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:17:32 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Christina Websell wrote:

unless as I said there is a
hole in his oesphagus which lines up with a hole in his trachea.

The panda might have had some congenital defect.

Which I suggested above, Bud ;-)

Tweed

Old July 20th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 18, 6:17*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I have reared some orphaned babes myself, years ago. * None of them got milk
in their trachea, and all lived to adulthood, which is how I know that a
mistake has been made here.

M y dad tried to hand rear some orphaned rabbits and unfortunately did
manage to choke one of them on milk- he thought the rabbit opening its
mouth was a sign that it was still hungry so he kept giving it the
bottle and it wasn't until milk started bubbling out of its nostrils
that he realised the poor thing was drowning. The rabbit may have had
some sort of congenital problem through as one of the litter had
anecelphaly (stillborn) and one of the other two seemed to have real
problems feeding through survived- the other one was just fine

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

[OT] Panda babies Yowie Cat anecdotes 3 February 23rd 07 11:18 PM
New Panda? OT jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 January 17th 07 03:34 PM
Panda still needz purrs... FurrsomeFoursome Cat community 18 December 3rd 05 07:25 PM
Panda-Cam (awwww!) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 August 6th 05 01:46 AM