[OT] It's the little things that annoy you ...

Old May 17th 05, 10:09 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default [OT] It's the little things that annoy you ...

I've been reading Tad Williams' Otherland series recently. I read the
first two books several years ago, but I lost interest. This time, I
made sure I had all four on tap so that I could blast through them.

You really have to pay attention to these books, which feature an
enormous cast of people spread throughout, well, really, several
worlds. Every few pages has a cliffhanger for that particular group
of people, and you may not hear about that group for another 100
pages. You really have to pay attention, and if you wait too long
between reading sessions, you'll probably forget all of the intricate
threads.

Anyway, halfway through my copy of volume 3, Mountain Of Black Glass ...
50 pages are missing. Arrrrrgh!

I called Borders, but their only other copy has the same defect.
They've ordered me another copy, which may or may not be any better.
So in the meantime, I've emailed DAW to see if they can help me out.

Best case, it will be a week before I can read any further into the
series. Most likely, it will be longer than that.

Arrrrghh!!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 18th 05, 12:26 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-17, Christine Burel penned:
Monique, have you tried your local library?
Christine

I'm embarrassed to admit that not only had that not occurred to me,
but I don't even know *where* our local library is. If a book
interests me, I always buy it ...

That's a great point. I'll look into it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 18th 05, 01:03 AM
Mary

On 2005-05-17, Christine Burel penned:
Monique, have you tried your local library?
Christine

I'm embarrassed to admit that not only had that not occurred to me,
but I don't even know *where* our local library is. If a book
interests me, I always buy it ...

I got tired of storing (and moving, ugh) books a while back and
use my local county library for fiction. I frequently raid my own
shelves for books read once and not likely to be read again,
and when I am returning my library books I donate them.

Old May 18th 05, 01:36 AM
Christine Burel

Monique, another thought, what about used bookstores?
Christine

Old May 18th 05, 02:59 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-18, Christine Burel penned:
Monique, another thought, what about used bookstores?
Christine

That may be an idea ... I'm not aware of the ones around here, though.
I tend to spend way too much money on "bargain" books while browsing
such places for hours on end, so ... I guess I just haven't looked
them up. You do remind me, though, that I could ask on freecycle!

Just for the record, I was more interested in ranting than in solving
my problem =) I do appreciate the ideas, though.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 18th 05, 03:23 AM
Takayuki

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

Anyway, halfway through my copy of volume 3, Mountain Of Black Glass ...
50 pages are missing. Arrrrrgh!

Well, that's pretty annoying. That's not a book, it's a torture
device.

Old May 18th 05, 03:36 AM
Christine Burel

LOL! Sorry to have ruined your rant ;o). The same thing had happened to me
with a Stephen R. Donaldson hardcover -- I wrote the publisher and
eventually they sent me a new one; however, I couldn't stand it either and
found it in a used bookstore.

Old May 18th 05, 03:38 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-18, Takayuki penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

Anyway, halfway through my copy of volume 3, Mountain Of Black Glass
... 50 pages are missing. Arrrrrgh!

Well, that's pretty annoying. That's not a book, it's a torture
device.

LOL! Too true. Especially when you realize that it's the third in a
series of four SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY page books. I have a serious
time investment in these things!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 18th 05, 03:52 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-18, Christine Burel penned:
LOL! Sorry to have ruined your rant ;o). The same thing had happened to me
with a Stephen R. Donaldson hardcover -- I wrote the publisher and
eventually they sent me a new one; however, I couldn't stand it either and
found it in a used bookstore.

No worries; it's not ruined =P I just keep finding myself thinking,
well, I'll go read a chapter and find out what Renie is up to ... but
I can't.

I'm hoping my freecycle idea pans out. There must be *someone* in
Boulder County who has this book and won't mind me borrowing it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

[OT] Humor (or, rather, Humour) CatNipped Cat anecdotes 43 February 28th 05 06:04 PM
Bizarre things the vet said Candace Cat health & behaviour 45 February 8th 05 09:27 PM
[OT] Yowlet Update 30th March 5am Yowie Cat anecdotes 15 April 4th 04 02:39 AM
The things we do Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 January 25th 04 01:57 PM
[OT] Just needed to vent Yowie Cat anecdotes 56 November 23rd 03 07:06 AM