ellis

Old November 16th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default ellis

Yowie wrote:
"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:11:05 +0200, Christine K
wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:
You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

Yowie

For rendering ANYTHING obscure in translation, no matter how clearly it
was stated in the original language! 8-)
Old November 16th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

I'm always amazed at the number of science fiction fans here. It
seems sci-fi and cat slavery go hand in hand!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Did you watch the (remake) of Andromeda Strain yesterday? Michael
Crichton died last week!

Jill

We had seen it when it originally aired. I'm going to miss Mr. Crichton - I
loved his work!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 16th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

On Nov 15, 6:37?pm, wrote:

People do feed them, especially the fishermen, who save the odds and
ends for the cats. Cats gather en masse at day's end when the fishing
boats are coming in. Well, it's a lovely image, anyway, so I hope it's
true.

Recently a friend of mine went to Greece and she sent me a postcard of
just that- a fishing boat in the harbour with about 10-12 cats sitting
there plainly waiting for their tea!

She told me it was like that so yes its true

Oh, thank you, Lesley! That's nice to know.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old November 16th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_4_]

"hopitus" schreef in bericht
On Nov 15, 3:32 pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
I am sorry the bulk of the group does not speak Dutch but
I get what you are concerned about from the article

Sounds like the sort of thing a neo-Nazi racist would invent
(and there are a hell of a lot of them in Holland now).

Ya know Jack, I think you're right on target; this whole thing also
posted
on the leaner and meaner cat ng's smells upon reflection very very
trollish.
Good call on the source.

And all this because a very worried cat owner didn't know where to post her
concerns and came here..... Unbelievable.

Nanny

Old November 17th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Cats in Turkey tend to belong to businesses or neighbourhoods rather
than families, but you see more of them than in any Christian country
I've been to and they are mostly looked after reasonably well.

Kind of sounds like the relationship between people and cats on some of
the Greek islands, at least as photographed by the appropriately named
Hans Silvester, famous for the "Cats in the Sun" series. The cats don't
go into people's homes, but they're considered members of the villages.
People do feed them, especially the fishermen, who save the odds and
ends for the cats. Cats gather en masse at day's end when the fishing
boats are coming in. Well, it's a lovely image, anyway, so I hope it's
true.

I'm sure it is true in a lot of places. But I posted a while ago about
what happens in Rhodes Town - the cats round the harbour are left to
breed uncontrolled all summer to provide cute kittens for the tourists,
then most of them are shot at the end of the season (the ones to be
spared have the tip of one ear clipped off). There's a campaign about
it, led by a British woman who now lives there.

I haven't travelled much in Greece, but I never saw such huge numbers
of cats elsewhere in Rhodes, so I suspect it's a local thing. Marion
tells me there are very few cats on the street in Thessaloniki (which
is about the least touristy place in the whole country).

(One thing that occurred to me about the original posting: it doesn't
make economic sense. Driving round the whole country to pick up
kittens to use for their fur? How much are you going to get for each
pelt? Especially when you're competing with Chinese farms in the
same line of business?)

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old November 17th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:
You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...
well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

Yowie

For rendering ANYTHING obscure in translation, no matter how clearly it
was stated in the original language! 8-)

I do believe Yowie is referring to the "original" babel fish from
Douglas Adams's book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not the
"website of mass confusion"...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 17th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Lesley" wrote in message

On Nov 16, 7:43 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

I'm always amazed at the number of science fiction fans here. It
seems sci-fi and cat slavery go hand in hand!

Let's see off the top of my head I can name 16 cats (some RB) who own
or have owned members of the role playing games club I attend...Come
to think of it I don;t think any have ever mentioned d*g things so
that's something else that goes hand in hand...then again role players
are usually sci-fi fans

Ailurophile (tick)
Roleplayer (tick)
Sci-Fi fan (tick)

What else?

Or am I just a stereotypical geekgrrl?

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 17th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:
You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...
well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

Yowie

For rendering ANYTHING obscure in translation, no matter how clearly
it was stated in the original language! 8-)

I do believe Yowie is referring to the "original" babel fish from
Douglas Adams's book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not the
"website of mass confusion"...

Indeed!

(The game HHGTTG is where one of my favourite phrases 'what a concept' comes
from. I could never figure out how to get the damn babelfish in my ear, no
matter how much I tried, and therefor couldn't truly appreciate how
mindbooglingly aweful the Vogon poetry was, and died shortly thereafter)

Yowie

Old November 17th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christine K" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if it's
your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone should speak
English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the sci-fi
shows speak English...

Good point, Christine! I did ask N if she would like me to learn German as
I felt embarrassed that she was obliged to speak English to me all the time.
(I only learnt French at school.) She said not, that she would prefer to
practise her English on me and besides she thought I might be too old to
learn it now!
LOL! phew

Tweed

Old November 17th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

.home.nl...

wrote:
I am sorry the bulk of the group does not speak Dutch but
I get what you are concerned about from the article

Sounds like the sort of thing a neo-Nazi racist would invent
(and there are a hell of a lot of them in Holland now).

Ya know Jack, I think you're right on target; this whole thing also
posted
on the leaner and meaner cat ng's smells upon reflection very very
trollish.
Good call on the source.

And all this because a very worried cat owner didn't know where to post
her concerns and came here..... Unbelievable.

Yes, it is, Nanny. I am with you on this.

Tweed