Mooch has a problem

Old March 22nd 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Default Mooch has a problem

Here I am, writing again about Mooch our resident stray. In a previous
post I said that hairless patches had developed on his lower sides. We
were worried that Mooch might be a female, and "her" breasts were
developing prior to having kittens. Not so. A family member who worked
in a vet's office and studied veterinary medicine at university
visited us this weekend. When Mooch rolled around on the veranda
anticipating his food dish, she was able to see the hairless patches.
She said Mooch has ringworm. We looked it up on the Internet and found
it's not serious, and has nothing to do with worms - it's a skin
fungus. The article says "In healthy shorthaired cats with small
isolated lesions [as Mooch has], the ringworm infection will often
resolve without treatment in about three months. The goal with these
animals is to provide good nutrition." Mooch eats VERY well for a
stray, so we're not too worried about him. But if you've experienced
ringworm with your own cat(s)I'd love to hear what you can tell us,
please.
Old March 22nd 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble

On Mar 22, 5:16*pm, Bobcat wrote:
[...]

Years ago, my husband's young brother caught ringworm from an infected
cat. Be careful if you touch Mooch.

Bobble
Old March 22nd 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Barbi had it when we got her, we had to keep her isolated, but it never made
her uncomfortable or in pain, the only reason we know she had it was because
the vet saw it, the spots were so small we figured they were from her
scratching from being so dirty, we did keep her seperated, and washed our
hands and changed after giving her treatments, and blessedly none of the
rest got it, Lee

Old March 23rd 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobble" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 5:16 pm, Bobcat wrote:
[...]

***

When she was a child, my daughter also caught ringworm from a neighborhood
cat. I don't remember what the treatment was, but it was cleared up fairly
soon.

Joy

Old March 23rd 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Mar 22, 8:20*pm, "Joy" wrote:

When she was a child, my daughter also caught ringworm from a neighborhood
cat. *I don't remember what the treatment was, but it was cleared up fairly
soon.

Joy- Hide quoted text -

There is OTC ointment for ringworm. It is the same one as used for
athlete's foot.
TED told me it can be used on a cat too. There are also special
shampoo like Nizoral.

Tea tree oil can also used on human (only) and add to the laundry
wash.

Winnie

Old March 23rd 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Bobcat wrote:
[...]

Isn't ringworm soemthing that can be transmitted to humans? (I know
humans can get it - is it the same fungus, or are they unrelated?)
Old March 23rd 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Bobcat" wrote in message
[...]

Ringworm is treatable--definitely not a "dread" disease, but it is highly
contagious. There are several types of ringworm, and you should take Mooch
to a vet to get a definitive diagnosis (possibly done with a Wood's lamp)
and also to get information on measures to take to protect yourself.
Ringworm is one of the few diseases (in this case, a fungus) that can be
passed from cats to humans. I would not try to medicate by using
over-the-counter medications until a vet has positively identified the
problem.
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/ringworm.html

MaryL

Old March 23rd 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

m...

Bobcat wrote:
[...]

Yes, it can easily be transmitted from cats or dogs to humans.

MaryL

Old March 23rd 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bobcat wrote:
[...]

Caliban brought ringworm with him when I got him. He'd infected Miranda
and Frank before we noticed it on him. I even got a little spot on my
arm. The treatment was a liquid medication and a 'dip.' My sister helped
me dip him in the dip, and then we had to let him dry without licking
himself, so he had to wear a collar for a couple of hours. The following
day, we did the same to Mir. By the time a bald patch appeared on Frank,
he was in such a bad way from other ailments that I'd had to make the
final decision for him, so I never treated him for the ringworm.

To eradicate the ringworm spores, the vet recommended frequent washing
in hot water of every single bit of textile around the house, as well as
putting all fuzzy toys in the freezer for at least a week. Yes, I kept
the cat toys in the freezer. I'm glad to say there has been no
recurrence, but ringworm spores can be anywhere. There is no eradicating
them completely.

Oh, and I treated the spot on my arm with an ointment for athlete's foot.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Wear those disposable gloves when you treat her, and wash your hands often
with antibacterial soap is my best advice.
PURRS for you and Mooch
Kyla
.... Barbi had it when we got her, we had to keep her isolated, but it never
made
her uncomfortable or in pain, the only reason we know she had it was
because the vet saw it, the spots were so small we figured they were from
her scratching from being so dirty, we did keep her seperated, and washed
our hands and changed after giving her treatments, and blessedly none of
the rest got it, Lee
"Bobble" On Mar 22, 5:16 pm, Bobcat :
[...]

Mooch takes in the sun Bobcat Cat anecdotes 15 February 11th 09 09:54 PM
Mooch almost has visitors Bobcat Cat anecdotes 6 August 19th 08 11:35 PM
The Mooch Mob Bobcat Cat anecdotes 0 July 29th 08 12:58 PM
Mooch gets friendly Bobcat Cat anecdotes 12 October 3rd 06 10:04 PM
Mooch!! dopekitty Cat anecdotes 6 July 21st 05 07:04 PM