Cat gets on the counter top

Old July 17th 16, 07:30 PM
My2Kitties My2Kitties is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Carroll[_2_] View Post
On 17 Jul 2016, My2Kitties wrote:

The only packing tape types I can think of, will not lie flat. They'd
curl and stick to themselves. The ones I'm thinking of are the clear or
brown thin-plastic wrapping tapes, and then of course duct tape. How do
those of you who use reverse packing tape go about using it? What type
of tape?

I can't answer your actual question, but one thing that does work is to
make little circular loops of tape with the sticky side outward.

-- Mark
Thank you Mark. It sounds like loops work for you. The question I have is, if I put sticky tape -- either loops or flat -- on the counter and table top, how can I use the counter myself? If the sticky tape is all over it.
Old July 18th 16, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

Default Cat gets on the counter top

On 17 Jul 2016, My2Kitties wrote:

Thank you Mark. It sounds like loops work for you. The question I have
is, if I put sticky tape -- either loops or flat -- on the counter and
table top, how can I use the counter myself? If the sticky tape is all
over it.

It doesn't have to be all over it, it just has to be where it'll get in
the cat's way, especially where the cat will want to jump to but can't
see it from below.

-- Mark
Old July 18th 16, 08:00 PM
My2Kitties My2Kitties is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Carroll[_2_] View Post
On 17 Jul 2016, My2Kitties wrote:

The only packing tape types I can think of, will not lie flat. They'd
curl and stick to themselves. The ones I'm thinking of are the clear or
brown thin-plastic wrapping tapes, and then of course duct tape. How do
those of you who use reverse packing tape go about using it? What type
of tape?

I can't answer your actual question, but one thing that does work is to
make little circular loops of tape with the sticky side outward.

-- Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for the explanation...I can see this would work IF the cat were jumping from below. But my cat can see where she wants to go. She has been able to find a "path" around every form of barrier I've tried -- aluminum foil on the counter; metal backing pans blocking -- I THOUGHT -- every potential avenue of access. She was able to step over or around all that. So she'd be bound to walk around the tape loops, too. I have ordered a ssscat device. The one I bought is apparently defective, so the ssscat company is sending a replacement. I hope that will solve the problem. These are expensive.
Old July 19th 16, 11:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

On 7/14/2016 12:58 AM, Rock Master wrote:
What should i do to keep the cat off the counter top i caught her laying on it many times i make her get down but when i leave the kitchen she will get back on the counter top again

Years ago, my sister "thought" she had succeeded in teaching her cat not
to get on the kitchen counter top. Then she glanced at the kitchen
window one day as she was returning home and saw her cat quickly jump
down from the counter. By the time she entered the house, her cat
approached her while stretching and yawning. It seems that her cat had
simply learned a way to trick her into *thinking* that my sister had
succeeded. I think my sister gave up after that and simply cleaned the
counter very well before using it to prepare food.

MaryL

Old July 19th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Zob wrote:

John Doe
wrote:
Rock Master wrote:

What should i do to keep the cat off the counter top i caught her
laying on it many times i make her get down but when i leave the
kitchen she will get back on the counter top again

Simple and very effective solution. Upside down packaging tape. Then you
get to play her rescuer... "Awww, let me help remove that awful
packaging tape!"

Great idea! I'm going to put upside-down packaging tape on my
counters, my dining room table, my refrigerator, my desk, my
bookcases, my... ;-D

Also... It usually takes two or three encounters with the packaging tape,
and then it stops cold.
Old July 19th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per MaryL:
Years ago, my sister "thought" she had succeeded in teaching her cat not
to get on the kitchen counter top. Then she glanced at the kitchen
window one day as she was returning home and saw her cat quickly jump
down from the counter. By the time she entered the house, her cat
approached her while stretching and yawning. It seems that her cat had
simply learned a way to trick her into *thinking* that my sister had
succeeded.

My impression has always been that dogs are capable of feeling guilt and
cats are not.

My wife thinks she has the cat trained to not get up on the kitchen
table, but actually she has it trained to not get up on the kitchen
table and to get off quickly when it hears somebody approaching.\

OTOH, a dog can be taught to do/not do things even when the owner is not
around - not accepting food from strangers, for instance.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 19th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:00:45 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per MaryL:
Years ago, my sister "thought" she had succeeded in teaching her cat not
to get on the kitchen counter top. Then she glanced at the kitchen
window one day as she was returning home and saw her cat quickly jump
down from the counter. By the time she entered the house, her cat
approached her while stretching and yawning. It seems that her cat had
simply learned a way to trick her into *thinking* that my sister had
succeeded.

My impression has always been that dogs are capable of feeling guilt and
cats are not.

Not so much guilt, but they can sense the feelings of those who love
them, and they don't like negative vibes.

Cats sense it too, but most of the time they don't care.

My wife thinks she has the cat trained to not get up on the kitchen
table, but actually she has it trained to not get up on the kitchen
table and to get off quickly when it hears somebody approaching.\

I have a kitchen ensuite and the main one is upstairs. I have never
had a problem with my two cats except the one off my bedroom has a
garden window, and Pookie liked to jump on the counter to access and
sleep in the window. The solution was to put a decorative screen over
the lower half of the window.

Kitty litter on the cutting board wasn't my thing.

Old July 19th 16, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
but actually she has it trained to not get up on the kitchen
table and

Shb ...but actually she has it trained not to get up on the kitchen
table when anybody is around and....
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 24th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mark[_3_]

Rock Master Wrote in message:
What should i do to keep the cat off the counter top i caught her laying on it many times i make her get down but when i leave the kitchen she will get back on the counter top again

Lol use a water bottle
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old July 24th 16, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

mark wrote in news:nn16ra$cbq$1
@news.albasani.net:

Rock Master Wrote in message:
What should i do to keep the cat off the counter top i caught her laying

on it many times i make her get down but when i leave the kitchen she will
get back on the counter top again

Lol use a water bottle

You have no idea how to manage cats.