(OT) Merry Maids - I'm ticked!

Old July 11th 12, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Merry Maids - I'm ticked!

(This is a long rant; I apologize in advance.) You know I want to sell this
house. The realtor I'm working with is very knowledgeable about the housing
market where I live. He said I would need to have it completely cleaned,
including the carpets. Get it in "showing condition" so he can list it for
top dollar.

I contracted with Merry Maids to do a whole house cleaning. On June 25th,
the Field Service Manager, Yon, came over, looked at everything and gave me
a quote. The only caveat she mentioned was I'd need to vacuum the kitty
litter off the tile floor in the master bathroom the day they arrived
(Monday, July 9th). That morning I completely cleaned and washed the litter
box. I took the small bath mat it sits on outside and beat it out any
excess kitty litter with a broom. I vacuumed the bathroom floor.

Around 9:30 the maid, Tiffany, arrived. (Last time I used Merry Maids,
shortly after my dad died in 2008, they sent a team. They did a wonderful
job.) This is a 1700 sq. ft. house. It's a huge job, so I was very
surprised. She said someone had called in sick. Anyway, Tiffany cleaned
the toilet and the tub in the master bath. She cleaned the sinks and the
vanity. I noticed she kept going outside. Then she went to lunch! When
she returned she said Yon would be coming over to help her out. Yon arrived
around 12:30. She cleaned the kitchen countertops and appliances. Then Yon
told me because of the cat litter they couldn't mop the master bathroom
floor. Uh... okay.

But wait! Then Yon said they were leaving! She said because of the cat
litter they couldn't finish the job. Excuse me?! What about the rest of
the house? She said according to the owner, Bob, the cat litter "issue" was
a violation of OSHA regulations and they couldn't finish. (For
non-Americans, OSHA is the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.)
Well dammit, I already paid you people to clean the entire house!

I got the number for the owner (he's in Charleston where he just opened a
new location). He gave me the OSHA song and dance. I explained what I'd
done that morning in the master bath. He said, "Oh, they're talking about
the cat feces all over the house." WHAT?! Good lord! I'm not the neatest
person in the world; when it comes to cleaning I'll admit I'm downright
lackadaisical about it. (This house is way too big for one, or even two,
people.) But I couldn't, *wouldn't*, live with cat feces all over my house!
That's absurd! He said sorry, he was getting conflicting stories. Oh, so
the customer is always wrong?!

Here's what I think happened. I think Tiffany was overwhelmed by the size
of the house and the size of the job. So she called her pal Yon for help.
Together they fabricated an excuse which turned from "kitty litter on the
master bathroom floor" to [when Yon talked to Bob] "cat feces all over the
house". Bull****! Persia doesn't poop all over the house. Persia *has*
thrown up on the low-pile white carpet, which is in every room of the house
(except the two bathrooms). Those stains are impossible to get out. But
they're not all over the house! (I hate this carpet. I remember Mom asking
me what on earth possessed her to have white carpet installed?) Anyway, I
specifically pointed those stains out to Yon before I even got the maid
service quote. She even gave me a separate quote for carpet cleaning!

So, how does this prevent them from dusting and running the vacuum in all
the other rooms? Or cleaning the second bathroom? (No litter box in there,
nope.) And what does ANY of this have to do with not mopping the kitchen
floor? No, they just wanted to leave. So they concocted a ridiculous story
for the owner. Before they left, Yon suggested I call Serv-Pro, which is an
affiliated company. She said they are equipped to handle these "bigger
jobs". Oh fer cryin' out loud! If you google Serv-Pro you'll find they're
a disaster recovery company. The do cleanups after floods, fire, etc. Give
me a freaking break!

Fortunately, their accounting person hadn't cashed my check yet. When we
spoke I had her write VOID across the check face and email me a copy. She,
too, tried to get me to call Serv-Pro. Nope, not going to happen. I'm
still so angry I could scream. Now I have to find another cleaning service
to finish the job. I had to cancel the carpet cleaning appointment I had
scheduled for today (Stanley Steemer). I wanted the house to be completely
clean before they tackled the carpets. Merry Maids really screwed things up
for me. (I wrote a very negative review about this particular Merry Maids
on Yelp.)

OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I didn't take
her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny noise.
You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise anymore. Persia
must have known I was planning to take her to the vet. She started eating
her kibble right away I'm still going to switch her to the wet R/x food.
I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Old July 11th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/11/2012 09:16 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I understand your frustration completely -- and I do mean completely!
The stories I could tell are really about people who want to be paid
without having to do the work. IMHO (and I told my son this) it would
be better to lower the price significant,ly and sell "as is" than have
to deal with cleaning people. It seems the days are gone when people
took pride in doing a "good job" at whatever they agreed to do.
FYI It has been two years since I finally gave up and now settle for
what I can do myself (at my advanced years). I could go on and on about
thsis -- but I won't. Best wishes. MLB
Old July 11th 12, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

(snipped self to say they didn't do the job)

Jill

I understand your frustration completely -- and I do mean completely! The
stories I could tell are really about people who want to be paid without
having to do the work. IMHO (and I told my son this) it would be better
to lower the price significant,ly and sell "as is" than have to deal with
cleaning people. It seems the days are gone when people took pride in
doing a "good job" at whatever they agreed to do.
FYI It has been two years since I finally gave up and now settle for what
I can do myself (at my advanced years). I could go on and on about
thsis -- but I won't. Best wishes. MLB

The price hasn't even been determined yet! I talked to the realtor about
listing the house "as is". He said absolutely not. He had sent me a
spreadsheet of homes that sold where I live in the last 12 months. When I
mentioned "as is" he said nope. He pointed out a specific house listed "as
is", very low priced. It's been on the market for over 6 years. I've got
to get the heck out of here! People who buy houses here don't mind
fixer-uppers. Sometimes they're looking for a project. Most of them have
houses in other states. But they definitely don't want to buy a house that
hasn't been thoroughly cleaned. So now I'm shopping for other cleaning
services. (sigh)

Jill

Old July 11th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I didn't
take her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny
noise. You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise
anymore. Persia must have known I was planning to take her to the vet.
She started eating her kibble right away I'm still going to switch
her to the wet R/x food. I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Several people were worried about Persia (me too) and you couldn't be
bothered to update the threads about the vet visit.
It annoys me, Jill.
We care about Persia and were waiting to know if it was bad or good.

Old July 11th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I hope you contacted your bank to tell them the check was void. The service
you got was completely unacceptable.
--
Adrian
Old July 11th 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is ridiculous. A 1,700 sq. ft. house is not a particularly large job
for a cleaning service. My house is 2,732 sq. ft., and I have a woman
(note: one person!) who cleans the entire house for me every two weeks.
That is a different type of cleaning since she does it on a regular basis,
but Merry Maids should not have had any problem at all. If they thought it
was "too big" a job, they should have sent a team (with backup if someone
did not show up).

Do you know any people in the area who you could talk to about cleaning?
There surely are other people in your community who have their homes cleaned
on a regular basis, and that could be a good source for references. The
woman I use has a regular cleaning schedule, including some homes much
larger than mine, but she is a one-person cleaning service. She is
reliable, efficient and trustworthy. I use ChemDry to clean my carpets
about twice a year.

MaryL

Old July 11th 12, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can offer a one-year home warranty (which includes appliances) for
relatively low price. I bought my own when I bought my house, and it was
well worth the cost. If you bought it, that would avoid the negative
implications of "as is."

MaryL

Old July 11th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I didn't
take her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny
noise. You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise
anymore. Persia must have known I was planning to take her to the vet.
She started eating her kibble right away I'm still going to switch
her to the wet R/x food. I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Several people were worried about Persia (me too) and you couldn't be
bothered to update the threads about the vet visit.
It annoys me, Jill.
We care about Persia and were waiting to know if it was bad or good.

You are so right about this. Most pet lovers are

worry worts" where our pets, or friends' pets are concerned/ I had got
to the point of thinking Jill didn't want to "tell us the " worst" and
here she seemed to have just forgotten that we were interested. But she
is not the only one who does this! By-the=way, how is the wall
situation now? MLB

Old July 12th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

(snippage)

Excuse me if other things intruded in my life! I've been a little busy. I
had to have a plumber out to do some work. The subject of this post is just
one of the things I've been dealing with. I've been scheduling things,
arranging things. Seems like I've been on the phone more in the last few
weeks than I have in my entire tech support days. I'm sorry if I seem like
a bad friend.

Believe me, if anything bad was going on with Persia all those things would
fall by the wayside. And you'd definitely know about it.

Jill