Just to say

Old February 11th 14, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Just to say

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
Thanks to my vet, Boyfie has made a complete recovery, I think. He is
out and about as much as he wants, but due to his shaved bits he is
soon in if it's cold. I worry about the KFC police because he looks like
he has mange or something but I know that he will never be caught by
the RSPCA. Took me months to get him inside so he isn't up to being
scooped up by anyone else.

I am sure the RSPCA do good things but I've never been a fan of then,
and neither is June. We've seen what they do. I got a dog from them
just before it was put down, they get a week there. Well, she was a
challenge and I knew why she was dumped, but I had her until she was
14. She broke into my food cupboards every day. She knew the meat tins
and not the peaches or grapefruit so how did she know that?

That's really great news about Boyfie. I'm not surprised he feels the cold
on his shed bit. It has been very cold and windy and think how we would
feel if someone cut a big hole in our clothes.

The RSPCA in Birmingham don't put an animal down after a week anymore,
they may have in the past (probably did) but I know that now if they are
having a difficulty finding a home for an animal, they sometimes send it
to another of their homes and try there.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

~~~~~~~~~
I hope they don't do that any more. The shelter where I got Duffy has a
policy of keeping healthy animals for "at least" 14 days if space is
available, and they try for longer periods. Duffy had been at the shelter
for several months, so it's obvious they were trying to find a home for him.
I will be forever grateful to them for keeping him for so long. Tragically,
far more cats and dogs (and some other animals) are euthanized than those
that find homes. However, I have never heard of a shelter electrocuting an
animal, as Tweed described in another post. We have rescue groups here that
have rescued a large number of cats and dogs (different groups), and they
will often "pull" adoptable animals from shelters just before they would
otherwise be euthanized. They are placed in foster homes for care and
socialization. Of course, that all depends on the availability of foster
parents. That's how I got both Selina and Nikki. Selina was rescued from a
church parking lot and was pregnant at the time. All of her kittens were
adopted. Nikki was rescued from a WalMart parking lot. It's amazing that
either of them survived, given the number of cars they had to avoid.

MaryL

Old February 11th 14, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Friday, February 7, 2014 4:01:26 PM UTC-5, Judith Latham wrote:
The RSPCA in Birmingham don't put an animal down after a week anymore,
they may have in the past (probably did) but I know that now if they are
having a difficulty finding a home for an animal, they sometimes send it
to another of their homes and try there.
Judith
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

That's how the Princess Rita ended up with me. They told me at the shelter that she'd been recently moved from another shelter, so she could find a home.

Just in time for me to come along, of course.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old February 18th 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On 2014-02-08 4:29 PM, Christina Websell wrote:

His own posh collar that he arrived with? I took it off when no-one
claimed him and I did make a lot of effort towards finding where he
came from. It was a seriously posh cost-a-lot collar which suggests he
was well loved in a previous home, but hey, if they cannot be bothered
to get their teenage cat neutered, he'll be off after the girls maybe
too far to find his way home,
which is probably what happened to my Boykin, and it's their own fault
that they lost him. He is so lovely they are probably missing him
still. Too bad, he's mine now!

It may be my imagination, but I think male cats are more likely to roam
off and get lost than female ones - actually, they're probably roaming
because they're searching for females. I'm certain my Sammy had a home
at one point; a good one, because he's always been so friendly and
affectionate with people he must have had good experiences with them as
a kitten. The people who gave him to me after they found him roaming in
their neighbourhood said they'd looked for his owner unsuccessfully,
and I didn't quite believe them, so I checked out all the usual local
places people report lost pets. I was also unable to find anyone who
reported missing a young adult tomcat. Maybe he hid in a car or truck
and went missing from some distant place. Maybe he'd been missing so
long he wasn't on the current lists. Maybe no one bothered looking, not
even for such a sweet cat.

Their loss, my gain.

I agree. Boyfie is a gain for me. The vet asked me how he got his
name and I explained about KFC not allowing any other cats in her garden
except him so he must have been her boyfriend and how the name stuck.
He told me that young "teenage" male cats will travel miles looking for
girls if they are not neutered and then they get out of their familiar
area and cannot find their way home. I thought like you that Boyfie had
got into a van like you did with Sammy because no-one claimed him even
though I advertised him as a found cat. But the simple truth is that
they both wandered outside their own area and got lost because their
original owners couldn't be arsed to neuter them - and they deserved to
lose Sammy & Boyfriend.
Part of me is sorry for them that they lost him but it's their own
fault. The other part of me says "It serves you right and you missed out
on the most kind and gentle boy in the world" simply because you didn't
give him the snip.

Tweed

Domestic animals aren't the only ones who go for inadvertent long-
distance trips. Some years ago, I was driving past a railroad yard here
in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, and was surprised to see a porcupine
crossing the road, coming out of the railroad yard. While Tennessee is
theoretically within the normal range for such animals, they are more
often associated with the northeast USA, so I suspect this porcupine
climbed up into a boxcar loaded with some attractive-smelling cargo, then
went on an unexpected train ride.