Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

Old January 18th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
eDog

Default Best Method for Declawing a Cat?

Although I am against it, a new and rather expensive leather sofa has
raised the possibility of declawing my 3 cats.

If I have to get them declawed what is the best way to do it?

What kinds of questions should I ask the vet? What kind of equipment should
he have/use?

Simply declawing their front paws may not accomplish much with regard to
protecting the furniture.

Also, I am going to ask in a separate thread:

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

--
Looking for a clue.
Old January 18th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"eDog" wrote

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

No.

Don't declaw. All methods are the same--amputation of the last joint
of the fingers. I had this done to my first cat, and she became a biter,
and stopped covering her poop in the cat box. It deforms their feet
and it is not necessary. I have two cats now, keep their claws trimmed,
and have no damage at all. Perfect "one-two" strategy: trim claws and
get stuff they like to scratch more than the sofa. Tall posts (32 inches or
better) and an Alpine Scratcher work for us.

Old January 18th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:45:32 GMT, eDog wrote:

If I keep my cats nails trimmed short will they still be able to
(unintentionally) damage my leather sofa?

Trim their nails short and they will not damage it. There may be surface
scuffs, but unless they use your leather as a scratching post, they won't
tear it. The rivets on your blue jeans will cause more damage. Make sure
you have several tall scratching posts available for them to use and teach
them not to scratch the leather. It works in my house just fine.

You had the cats before you had the leather. Considering performing a
barbaric and cruel procedure on them to protect an inanimate object is
reprehensible. Just don't do it. Or, if you are still considering it, cut
your own fingers off between the last two knuckles first so you'll get an
idea of what it's like for a cat to be declawed.

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Before you go thru with the can of worms try Google the subject of
declawing. That subject will get you in serious water with cat lovers
specially over a materialistic concern.

But before the cat lovers cut your throat. Try these first instead of the
butchering process you suggested

Softpaws
Train your cat to use a cat scratching post.

. ..

Old January 18th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Edna Pearl

There is no humane way to de-claw a cat. Learn to trim your cat's claws,
provide adequate scratchposts and scratchpads, and train the cat.

ep

. ..

Old January 18th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
eDog

I already trained the cats to use a scratching post. They don't scratch the
leather sofa on purpose.

I ordered SoftPaws and am expecting them to show up today. I am a little
wary of them for a couple reasons. Plastic can do a pretty good job of
scratching leather too for one thing.

Not to shift blame, but my spouse is far less understanding about cat
damage than I am.

A ruined sofa is going to do a lot to stress my marriage.

"Matthew" wrote in news:45afb56f$0$7666
:

Old January 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"eDog" wrote

Not to shift blame, but my spouse is far less understanding about cat
damage than I am.

A ruined sofa is going to do a lot to stress my marriage.

I am so sad for you, and for her. As well as the cats.

Old January 18th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"eDog" wrote in message
. ..
I already trained the cats to use a scratching post. They don't scratch the
leather sofa on purpose.

I ordered SoftPaws and am expecting them to show up today. I am a little
wary of them for a couple reasons. Plastic can do a pretty good job of
scratching leather too for one thing.

When my son was learning to crawl, our cat took a swipe at his face. I
clipped the cat's claw's and got SoftPaws. The plastic is very soft, and the
cat's claws are completely encased. The cat never took a swipe at him after
that once, but if he had, my son's face would have been completely safe

Not to shift blame, but my spouse is far less understanding about cat
damage than I am.

Then maybe you need to find new homes for your cats.

A ruined sofa is going to do a lot to stress my marriage.

This has gotta be a troll.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 18th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Wife's can be replaced for if it was the cats or her she would find her
self out the door specially if is was something materialistic

. ..

Old January 18th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
eDog

Divorces are messy things.

I would like to avoid getting to that "Me or the cats"! moment.

And I would really like to avoid getting to it AFTER declawing the cats.

That would be the worst of all possible worlds.

"Matthew" wrote in
: