[OT] Her in the Sky

Old July 15th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default [OT] Her in the Sky

Wait, would that be 8 o'clock or 4 o'clock? If it just flips it over
(ie, as a mirror image across the horizontal diameter), then 2:00 would
become 4:00. But if it actually rotates the image of the moon by 180
degrees, then you're right, it would be 8:00.

Joyce - knows very little about telescopes, but does know about image
transformations!

Man I'm batting .1000 tonight...

2o'clock would be at the upper RIGHT, of course.
Old July 15th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote:

moon waxed and waned. A friend of mine taught it to me about 5 years
ago, complete with a handy mnemonic. (It wouldn't work for most of
us, since the words are in Russian and the letters representing the
orientation of the crescent moon are Cyrillic - but for some reason I
remember that better than anything I learned in childhood!)

Please share anyway? (With translation, if possible)

It's slightly complicated and hard to do in email, especially since
I use fixed fonts and probably many of you have proportional fonts on
your newsreaders, so it will look weird. But I'll give it a shot.

If you took the letter "C" and added a vertical stem to the left of it,
you'd get something that looked a bit like a "k": |c . And if you took
a *backwards* C and put a vertical stem to the left of that, you'd get
something that looked like the letter "p".

It turns out that the Russian word for "waxing" starts with the Cyrillic
letter "p". When the moon is waxing, it's filling in on the left side,
and the shadow is shaped like a backwards C. When the moon is waning,
the shadow is getting bigger and bigger on the *right* side (as the
visible moon gets smaller), and is shaped like a regular C.

I don't remember the actual Russian words - I could ask my friend again
if you want. Or maybe someone here speaks Russian and can provide them?

imitate the shape of the shadow as the moon wanes or waxes, respectively.
Then you have to add a vertical stem to the left of the appropriate
symbol (C or backwards C), to get the "P" or "K". Those are the letters
which start the Russian words meaning waning and waxing. Simple, eh?

And then on top of all that, you have to reverse it since you're in the
Southern hemisphere! Are you sure it's worth it?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 15th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:44:41 +1000, Yowie wrote:

Even before I knew the word 'witch' or 'pagan' I used to talk to
the
moon (and Antares, my favourite star), have always looked out for
Her in the sky. My Full Moon ritual is barely a ritual, but I've
shared it with the Yowlet, and now we both go out and howl and the
moon when She's at her brightest. I've always been innately aware
of
her Cycle, and would be at a loss without Her in the sky.

She is indeed beautiful, isn't she? My own personal rituals evolved
into much the same - Moon-centered, and frequently led to me just
talking to Her.

As for watching through the telescope - some time if you get a
chance
to look at high magnification, on the lower left limb (between 7
and
8 o'clock), there are a few craters in a perfect line, appearing
larger/smaller/smaller still with the smallest one right on the
edge
such that it's crater walls project beyond the edge of the Moon
herself, so that when you first view them they look like a pyramid
on
the moon! I don't recall whether refracting scopes invert images;
my
reflector did, so the interesting craters appeared around 2 o'clock
on Her face. It's an interesting visual effect when you first see
it.

The odd thing about Australia (and hte rest of hte southern
hemisphere) is our moon is upseide down, and the phases go ( 0 )
rather than ) 0 ( like yours do. So I have no idea where '2 o'clock'
might be - and whether my telescope turns the image upseide down.
Still, its something to discover for myself, and I look forward to
finding them.

Yowie

OK, guys, I'm not good at this.

So what does the moon do at the equator?

I just can't wrap my mind around this one.

Jo

Old July 15th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

wrote in message

... maybe someone here speaks Russian...

Russian Blue? I'd heard they had all teleported to The Mouser :-)

Incidentally, the Captain's Log transcripts have stopped
appearing! Has the voyage finished?

--
MatSav

Old July 15th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
wrote in message

... maybe someone here speaks Russian...

Russian Blue? I'd heard they had all teleported to The Mouser :-)

Incidentally, the Captain's Log transcripts have stopped appearing! Has
the voyage finished?

No. However the fat wench is dealing with some real life issues concerning
her better half. I'll make her get back to work ASAP, STAT, and so forth.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq.

Old July 15th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Jofirey" wrote in message

OK, guys, I'm not good at this.

So what does the moon do at the equator?

I just can't wrap my mind around this one.

Jo

Usually the Tango or Rumba. It depends on a variety of factors, like the
phases of the sun, tides, time of the month, what Janice told Sally about
her date with Ganymede, and a lot of issues that Moons have to deal with.

Pam S.

Old July 15th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Jofirey" wrote in message

OK, guys, I'm not good at this.

So what does the moon do at the equator?

I just can't wrap my mind around this one.

Jo

Usually the Tango or Rumba. It depends on a variety of factors,
like the phases of the sun, tides, time of the month, what Janice
told Sally about her date with Ganymede, and a lot of issues that
Moons have to deal with.

Pam S.

That was kind of what I figured.

Jo