Alternative to pilling

Old July 21st 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Alternative to pilling

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 21st 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann
Old July 21st 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

ann791 wrote in :

On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann

I've used the pill popper with all mine. Tip: once the pill is at the back
of the mouth, blow very gently on the cat's nose until he swallows it.

Bobble
Old July 21st 12, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

can your pharmacist make it into a paste to mix with the food?

Old July 21st 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I have never had any luck with a pill popper. I tried pill pockets once
and that didn't work either. I am going to try mixing the crushed pill
with laxatone and putting that on his arm. The tuna flavor of the
laxatone might mask the taste of the pill.

Old July 21st 12, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

ann791 wrote:
On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann

That doesn't work with a really determined cat! (It's astonishing how
far they can spit those pills, when they adamantly refuse to take them!)
Old July 21st 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crush the pill and mix it with a small amount of canned food (preferably a
favorite flavor of food). This doesn't work with all cats, but it is worth
trying.

MaryL

Old July 21st 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

---MIKE--- wrote:

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

Another idea would be to take Tiger to the vet once for a shot, and
have the vet show you how to give an injection. And then send you home
with liquid clavamox and syringes.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old July 21st 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mike
If you mix it with Laxatone - the Laxatone coats the stomach so the pill won't be absorbed.

Can you put the cat on a counter at your height and open his mouth with one hand and put the pill in the back of his mouth with the other and close his mouth until he swallows? Just make up your mind that you CAN do it! The cat needs the medicine for his bladder infection!! If you don't have a positive mindset - the cat will know it!

The crushed up pills are very bitter. If you must go this way, I suggest not crushing the pill - put the pill in a small amount of Fancy Feast and sprinkle Lysine for Cats on top - the Lysine masks the smell of the pill. Lysine is good for the cat anyway.
Old July 21st 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

Another idea would be to take Tiger to the vet once for a shot, and
have the vet show you how to give an injection. And then send you home
with liquid clavamox and syringes.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Or maybe you can get the medicine in liquid form that can be squirted into
his mouth.

Joy

Alternative treatments for cancer [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 September 29th 07 11:17 PM
Alternative for cat collar? The Other Mike Cat health & behaviour 3 June 1st 06 11:05 PM
Pilling Nox Enfilade Cat anecdotes 3 March 29th 06 05:15 AM
Help with pilling a cat meow Cat health & behaviour 10 March 8th 06 11:42 PM
Need help pilling cat! Cheryl Cat anecdotes 17 August 30th 03 03:06 AM