Somebody stole the bell! OT

Old August 22nd 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Somebody stole the bell! OT

A couple of days ago I posted about my backyard buffet which attracts
critters for the benefit of my indoor cats. One of the items I put out is a
bell-shaped cake of birdseed, which has a stick running down the middle,
with a hole so one can hang it. I don't have a good place to hang it, so I
just set it on the patio. This morning I could see the stick coming out of
the top of what remained of the bell - a chunk a little bigger than a cell
phone. At lunchtime I was surprised to see that the bell was gone - stick
and all! I wonder who ran - or flew - off with it. I suppose it could have
been the squirrel that's been hanging around lately. I don't know if the
jay could have lifted it. This is the third bell I've put out, and the
first time that's happened.

--

Joy

Absurdity: A statement of belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own
opinion. -- Ambrose Bierce

Old August 22nd 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
A couple of days ago I posted about my backyard buffet which attracts
critters for the benefit of my indoor cats. One of the items I put out is
a bell-shaped cake of birdseed, which has a stick running down the middle,
with a hole so one can hang it. I don't have a good place to hang it, so I
just set it on the patio. This morning I could see the stick coming out of
the top of what remained of the bell - a chunk a little bigger than a cell
phone. At lunchtime I was surprised to see that the bell was gone - stick
and all! I wonder who ran - or flew - off with it. I suppose it could
have been the squirrel that's been hanging around lately. I don't know if
the jay could have lifted it. This is the third bell I've put out, and the
first time that's happened.

My money is on the squirrel. I had similar problems with squirrels, they
were eating a fat ball a day from the birdfeeder during the winter, caught
in the act.
I had to stop putting them out, it got too expensive.

Tweed

Old August 22nd 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

It certainly seems more likely that a squirrel could run off with it than
that a bird could fly with it. If it happens again I'll either stop putting
them out or buy them less often. Even at $1.79 apiece that can add up if
they don't last very long.

Joy

Old August 22nd 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
A couple of days ago I posted about my backyard buffet which attracts
critters for the benefit of my indoor cats. One of the items I put out is
a bell-shaped cake of birdseed, which has a stick running down the middle,
with a hole so one can hang it. I don't have a good place to hang it, so
I just set it on the patio. This morning I could see the stick coming out
of the top of what remained of the bell - a chunk a little bigger than a
cell phone. At lunchtime I was surprised to see that the bell was gone -
stick and all! I wonder who ran - or flew - off with it. I suppose it
could have been the squirrel that's been hanging around lately. I don't
know if the jay could have lifted it. This is the third bell I've put
out, and the first time that's happened.

--

Joy

It's probably raccoons. I tried to hang a bird feeder (three times) and
each time raccoons tore them all down. One night I heard a racket on the
patio and opened the curtain to find four raccoons staring back at me and
another waddling across the back yard to join them. I keep finding my bird
bath knocked over, too.

Jill

Old August 22nd 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/21/2011 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

You wouldn't believe... well you probably would believe, the mess they
can make with a trash can. We have to put out the cans right before the
garbage truck comes or it looks like a miniature tornado tore across our
yard.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 22nd 11, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I have a trash can with handles to hold on the lid. Raccoons are
smart but they aren't quite smart enough to turn the handles that hold the
lid on

Jill

Old August 22nd 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I'll have to look into getting a couple of those!

Old August 22nd 11, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think we have raccoons around here, although my daughter, who lives
40 miles from me, gets them. Anyway, I've never seen one here, and I've
lived here for 42 years.

Joy

Old August 22nd 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter and her husband have a bird feeder hanging above their balcony.
They keep the seed on the balcony too. Although they do get raccoons,
they've never shown any interest in the birdseed. Squirrels, on the other
hand, have. When the bag of birdseed was destroyed, they started keeping it
in a plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid. The squirrels chewed a hole
in the middle of the lid.

Joy

Old August 22nd 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

My daughter and her husband have a bird feeder hanging above their
balcony. They keep the seed on the balcony too. Although they do get
raccoons, they've never shown any interest in the birdseed. Squirrels, on
the other hand, have. When the bag of birdseed was destroyed, they
started keeping it in a plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid. The
squirrels chewed a hole in the middle of the lid.

Joy

When I lived in Tennessee my apartment had a built-in storage shed off the
patio. I stored bird seed in there but something was getting at it. Turned
out to be squirrels which (like mice and rats) can flatten themselves to fit
under the door. So I got a plastic bin to store the seed in. And, as with
your daughter, the squirrels chewed through the plastic bin!

Jill

Alright, WHO stole the BBQ pork? Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 April 29th 09 09:55 AM
Fake Bell & Ross Hydromax 11100M Cheap - Bell & Ross Hydromax 11100MWatch Fake [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 April 24th 08 01:09 PM
THEY STOLE IT Matthew Cat anecdotes 13 August 2nd 07 09:11 AM
Somebody stole our food!! GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 21 June 26th 07 09:31 PM
TED stole my teef! FurrsomeFoursome Cat community 25 November 16th 05 11:06 AM