Molly does it again.

Old January 4th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Molly does it again.

Poor little calico girl. She is so timid and so careful to never do
anything wrong. She lives her whole life like we might kick her out to fend
for herself at any minute. Even though she does insist on going out to hunt
and to relieve herself.

A few weeks ago Charlie bought two really nice catnip plants. Much larger
than the one I got at PetSmart around thanksgiving. Jake and Molly take
turns chewing the leaves off. Molly really gets into it and rubs her face
in the potting soil around the plants as well.

The plants are in cardboard "pots" and Charlie put them into little bowls
we've had around forever and set them at the back of the counter for the
cats to enjoy.

I guess Molly got a little carried away. I heard a crash a while ago and
went to check. She had managed to shove the plant and bowl across the
counter and off onto the floor. Shattering the bowl. She is so upset. The
bowl is no loss and cleaning up the mess just got a floor cleaned that
needed cleaned anyway. But the poor girl looks about ready to run away from
home.

Its hard because if we try to reassure her she has done nothing wrong, the
extra attention just makes her feel worse.

So tonight when you talk to the mothership, ask them to send her a bit of
confidence. Enough to know she has a home and is loved, no matter what.

Jo

Old January 4th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bookie

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

how about giving her some extra nice treats to eat and then leaving her
to it? some bits of ham or tuna? then she might realise that she has
not done anything that needs punishing and you are almost 'rewarding'
her. also when a cat has fallen off something or done something they
feel is abit stupid they feel embarrassed and just want to hide under a
piece of furniture so might be better to let her do this, not crowd her
for a bit, and leave her with some nice little foodie treats in her
snug little hidey hole?

sometimes forcing attention onto a scraedy cat can make it worse for
them

bookie

Old January 4th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jo Firey wrote:

So tonight when you talk to the mothership, ask them to send her a bit of
confidence. Enough to know she has a home and is loved, no matter what.

Poor Molly. Confidence purrs on the way from two very confident young cats.

Old January 4th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

[...]

Purrs that Molly will become a brave little girl. MLB

Old January 4th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

Poor Molly, purrs on the way for her.

Old January 4th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Jo Firey wrote:
Poor little calico girl. She is so timid and so careful to never do
anything wrong. She lives her whole life like we might kick her out to fend
for herself at any minute. Even though she does insist on going out to hunt
and to relieve herself.

Smokey was like this too when we first brought him in from the Big Bad
Outside. He'd act up, displaying a bit of his feral nature and then
start clinging and crying, terrified he'd lost his roof and meal
ticket.

It took him a couple years to get over it.

Smokey would always respond well to petting and soothing words, as
reassurance that we werent' about to toss him out. Perhaps treats
would be good for Molly too...a concrete reminder that you still love
her enough to feed her.

Good luck and purrs,

Fil

Old January 4th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:17:07 GMT, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

[...]

Poor Molly! She's just trying to be a good kitty!

She needs lots of extra affection and some special treats (as mentioned)

I'm sure she will come around.....but it may take some time,
unfortunately.

Time and patience will work in the long run.
Are there toys or activities she especially likes? Maybe playing with
her alone in a room will help her out of her shell.

I sure hope so; she sounds like a real sweetie. Not that I'm biased
towards calicos....oh no!

Purrs on the way to make Molly more comfortable in her own home!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old January 4th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Molly does it again. Purrs did help!

And why am I surprised purrs help? They always seem to.

When I woke up this morning Molly was on me feet. And she stayed there
looking at me. This is a huge amount of progress for her.

She is now off on her morning mission. She has a thing for the family
across the street. They have indoor cats, and I understand Molly has been
inside and gets along well with them. But the man that lives there spends a
good deal of time working in his garage and on his yard and cars. Molly
makes sure he doesn't get lonely.

I need to see if there is a pouch of her treats around.

Jo

et...

Old January 5th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jo Firey" wrote:
And why am I surprised purrs help? They always seem to.

When I woke up this morning Molly was on me feet. And she stayed there
looking at me. This is a huge amount of progress for her.

She is now off on her morning mission. She has a thing for the family
across the street. They have indoor cats, and I understand Molly has been
inside and gets along well with them. But the man that lives there spends a
good deal of time working in his garage and on his yard and cars. Molly
makes sure he doesn't get lonely.

I need to see if there is a pouch of her treats around.

Jo

She is such a little character! On an unrelated note, what I wonder
about Molly is whether she's a calico, or if she's a tabby and white.

Old January 5th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Jo Firey" wrote:
And why am I surprised purrs help? They always seem to.

When I woke up this morning Molly was on me feet. And she stayed there
looking at me. This is a huge amount of progress for her.

She is now off on her morning mission. She has a thing for the family
across the street. They have indoor cats, and I understand Molly has been
inside and gets along well with them. But the man that lives there spends
good deal of time working in his garage and on his yard and cars. Molly
makes sure he doesn't get lonely.

I need to see if there is a pouch of her treats around.

Jo

She is such a little character! On an unrelated note, what I wonder
about Molly is whether she's a calico, or if she's a tabby and white.

She is tabby white and gold.

On a related note, someone up there did send her treats today. She found a
live field mouse to play with. Had herself a wonderful afternoon.

Just wish she didn't feel the need to bring them home from the field to play
with. But I can't blame her. Other neighborhood cats are much bigger than
she is, but they won't come into our back yard because of Kayla. For some
reason they all have an aversion to the way Kayla says "Howdy"

Jo