Oops..I lost my temper dammit

Old January 18th 05, 04:09 AM
mystro

Default Oops..I lost my temper dammit

I'm a new first time cat owner who adopted a nice 1 year old male who
for the most part is very happy and contented but certainly likes to
push the limits. Not knowing better,I allowed the cat to roam mostly
wherever it wanted when it first came home but now he
wants to get in the way in the kitchen and that includes grabbing meat
or fish that is defrosting on the counter..I lost my temper last-night
when he grabbed some hamburger while I was out of the room..I ended up
slapping him and putting him in his carrier then putting him outside
for an hour..it was cold and I couldn't leave him any longer and I'm
not sure that will do any good anyway. I've tried putting sticky tape
down,spraying him and yelling NO when I catch him but to no
avail..somewhere I read I need to train ME..any suggestions.

Old January 18th 05, 05:03 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-18, mystro penned:
I'm a new first time cat owner who adopted a nice 1 year old male who for
the most part is very happy and contented but certainly likes to push the
limits. Not knowing better,I allowed the cat to roam mostly wherever it
wanted when it first came home but now he wants to get in the way in the
kitchen and that includes grabbing meat or fish that is defrosting on the
counter..I lost my temper last-night when he grabbed some hamburger while I
was out of the room..I ended up slapping him and putting him in his carrier
then putting him outside for an hour..it was cold and I couldn't leave him
any longer and I'm not sure that will do any good anyway. I've tried putting
sticky tape down,spraying him and yelling NO when I catch him but to no
avail..somewhere I read I need to train ME..any suggestions.

What was the point in putting him outside?

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 18th 05, 05:22 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , mystro at
wrote on 1/17/05 9:09 PM:

I'm a new first time cat owner who adopted a nice 1 year old male who
for the most part is very happy and contented but certainly likes to
push the limits. Not knowing better,I allowed the cat to roam mostly
wherever it wanted when it first came home but now he
wants to get in the way in the kitchen and that includes grabbing meat
or fish that is defrosting on the counter..I lost my temper last-night
when he grabbed some hamburger while I was out of the room..I ended up
slapping him and putting him in his carrier then putting him outside
for an hour..it was cold and I couldn't leave him any longer and I'm
not sure that will do any good anyway. I've tried putting sticky tape
down,spraying him and yelling NO when I catch him but to no
avail..somewhere I read I need to train ME..any suggestions.

That was not a bright idea. The cat has NO idea what that was about and just
made a real dent in your bonding with it and trust. Yes, another room while
you are preparing food, but what you did was just cruel. NEVER hit a cat. It
is just going to make the cat fear you. It's an animal. If you leave food
out it does not know "this is not mine". Cats are smart. I don't have a lot
of training tips because my cats simply never did this. Although we did have
one that went nuts for turkey when we made it and was pushy, but we just put
her in the bedroom until supper was over and cleared up, then we gave her
some when we let her out for her own.

Old January 18th 05, 06:17 AM
Sherry

I'm a new first time cat owner who adopted a nice 1 year old male who for
the most part is very happy and contented but certainly likes to push the
limits. Not knowing better,I allowed the cat to roam mostly wherever it
wanted when it first came home but now he wants to get in the way in the
kitchen and that includes grabbing meat or fish that is defrosting on the
counter..I lost my temper last-night when he grabbed some hamburger while I
was out of the room..I ended up slapping him and putting him in his carrier
then putting him outside for an hour..it was cold and I couldn't leave him
any longer and I'm not sure that will do any good anyway. I've tried

putting
sticky tape down,spraying him and yelling NO when I catch him but to no
avail..somewhere I read I need to train ME..any suggestions.

Yes. Set any unattended food in the microwave or the (cold) oven. Don't tempt
the cat. And you're right. Setting him out in the cold didn't solve a thing.

Sherry
Old January 18th 05, 06:33 AM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

As a matter of fact, setting a cat out in the cold *in a cat carrier* is
both abusive and *dangerous.* This is far worse than a cat that is outdoors
on its own because this poor cat could not go anywhere to seek shelter, and
it was probably terrified.

I realize that this is a first-time cat owner and and I hope he will learn
from this. It really does no good to try to to discipline a cat in this way
because the cat will not understand any relationship between the two events.
Moreover, it is counterproductive because the most likely scenario is that
the cat will learn to fear and distrust the owner. In the future you could
simply pick up the cat, say "no," and place it on the floor if it grabs for
your food. If necessary, place it in another room while you are cooking.
If you have to leave your food unattended, place it someplace out of the
cat's reach. Sherry already suggested the microwave or oven. You could
also simply place it in a cupboard, as long as you will only be out of the
room for a few minutes.

MaryL
Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old January 18th 05, 10:05 AM
Jim Lawton

On 17 Jan 2005 19:09:21 -0800, "mystro" wrote:

I'm a new first time cat owner who adopted a nice 1 year old male who
for the most part is very happy and contented but certainly likes to
push the limits. Not knowing better,I allowed the cat to roam mostly
wherever it wanted when it first came home but now he
wants to get in the way in the kitchen and that includes grabbing meat
or fish that is defrosting on the counter..I lost my temper last-night
when he grabbed some hamburger while I was out of the room..I ended up
slapping him and putting him in his carrier then putting him outside
for an hour..it was cold and I couldn't leave him any longer and I'm
not sure that will do any good anyway. I've tried putting sticky tape
down,spraying him and yelling NO when I catch him but to no
avail..somewhere I read I need to train ME..any suggestions.

First - be kind to your cat and he'll love you, be mean, and he'll fear you.
Long lasting stuff like you did will just make him miserable, and he'll have no
idea why you're treating him so badly.

Hitting cats isn't great either. If a cat really annoys me I just chase it
shouting at t he top of my voice - makes me feel better, and does them no harm.

What you need is a short sharp unpleasant response exactly when the cat (or any
animal really) is doing the thing you don't want it to do - waiting even 10
seconds makes punishment futile. I blow really hard on my cats - right in their
faces, they hate it, and there is a poster here who rattles a tin of marbles? at
his. Very soon just hinting that you'll do something like that will make the cat
stop.

But, you've got to know cats are much cleverer than dogs :-) - and so if you
aren't there, they'll still apply their rules, not yours, if you leave food out
with cats about, you're right - you need a bit of training.

Our cats don't go on the work surfaces (like only 1% of the time ;-) because
there's never any food on them.

Jim
(just a cat co-habitee)

Old January 18th 05, 12:20 PM
RobZip

If you have to leave your food unattended, place it someplace out of the
cat's reach. Sherry already suggested the microwave or oven. You could
also simply place it in a cupboard, as long as you will only be out of the
room for a few minutes.

Indeed - cats can be quite creative in finding ways to open cabinet doors.
Putting food there won't work with my hooligans. Most of my cabinets are
fitted with plastic latches that only allow the door to be moved about 1
inch. Didn't take long for Spot to figure out how to hook the latch with his
paw and pull down on it. Being plastic it gives easily enough for him to
open this way with no problem.

Old January 18th 05, 12:23 PM
RobZip

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message

Hitting cats isn't great either. If a cat really annoys me I just chase it
shouting at t he top of my voice - makes me feel better, and does them no

harm.

There's always something that a cat can't stand that will stop just about
any behavior instantly. My tribe cannot stand the sound of my wife sneezing.
All I have to do is mimmic one of her sneezes and they leave the area
immediately.

Old January 18th 05, 01:55 PM
Mike

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
Our cats don't go on the work surfaces (like only 1% of the time ;-)
because
there's never any food on them.

I agree, whenever the cat jumps on the work surface just shout "NO" and move
them down. Remember their hearing is about 10 times more sensitive than
humans so don't shout too close to their ears.

Mike