Skwirrel

Old August 26th 18, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default I forgot to say (WAS: Skwirrel)

On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:55:56 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 8/19/2018 4:18 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Nice to see you back, John! It's been a while. I think both grey and
gray are acceptible.

Jill

Apparently it's Grey for me and Gray for you. But we have even started calling it Yogurt, rather than Yoghurt, even the UK is dropping the 'H' now apparently. Sucks that I'm old enough to remember the 'correct' spelling. =^\./^=
Old September 9th 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Default Skwirrel

Bill Stock wrote:
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 11:09:48 PM UTC-4, Tigger wrote:
Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Could be, but I think he was relaxing while he waited for the food train.

hmmm

https://www.librarycat.com/squirrels-lie-flat/

Hide, cool off, rest.

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/q...-doing-and-why

soak up heat

The Cardinal sits on the patio door handle and looks in the window looking for his peanuts. We had one that would sit on the window ledge and peck on the window to get your attention.

Sort of thing one sees in corvids...
Old September 16th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Could be, but I think he was relaxing while he waited for the food train.

hmmm

https://www.librarycat.com/squirrels-lie-flat/

Hide, cool off, rest.

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/q...-doing-and-why

soak up heat

The Cardinal sits on the patio door handle and looks in the window looking for his peanuts. We had one that would sit on the window ledge and peck on the window to get your attention.

Sort of thing one sees in corvids...

Yeah, a combination of relaxing and staying cool in the case of the mulch (shade) or warm in the case of the deck.
Old November 14th 18, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kitten

Hehe, funny - sorry for your fingers.
I saw squirrel in the subject and thought of Rat, she also reminded me of a
squirrel, I didn't know she had more in common with them than looks.
She also earnt some fame for missing the target, hands, fingers or bowl, but
whether it was epilepsy related, simply poor vision or a combo of both,
can't be sure.
You'd hear this clunk sound and it was Rat going for nibbles and grabbing
the side of the metal bowl instead...
Thanks for tidbit of info, I wouldn't have guessed.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I was looking out the back door yesterday and there was a black squirrel
splayed out on the deck sunning itself. I was surprised by how relaxed it
looked. We don't have red squirrels here, just the larger black and grey
squirrels. But this year we actually have a red squirrel and it's a real
runt. Even smaller than the red squirrels I remember as a kid. It's also has
a serious screw loose, it will attack anything and even bitch at you while
it's eating the peanuts we feed the birds. Where do you think the peanuts
come from genius?

Quite a few years ago there was a baby black squirrel that lost it's mother,
so we sort of adopted it. It would come to the door every day looking for
its peanuts. One day I made the mistake of trying to feed it by hand. Did
you know that squirrels have very poor close up vision? Ouch.

Old November 14th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:51:56 -0600, Kitten wrote:

Hehe, funny - sorry for your fingers.
I saw squirrel in the subject and thought of Rat, she also reminded me
of a
squirrel, I didn't know she had more in common with them than looks.
She also earnt some fame for missing the target, hands, fingers or bowl,
but
whether it was epilepsy related, simply poor vision or a combo of both,
can't be sure.
You'd hear this clunk sound and it was Rat going for nibbles and grabbing
the side of the metal bowl instead...
Thanks for tidbit of info, I wouldn't have guessed.

Our squirrels are getting bolder. I worked from home yesterday (quite a
hardship, sitting on a comfortable couch with a grey kitty stretched out
on my lap) and in the early afternoon I started hearing the screen door
rattle. When I looked out the fron door there were no people present, only
squirrels. Apparently they have taken to scratching my screen door when
they want service.

Old November 14th 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/14/2018 4:45 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

Dan! Haven't seen you in ages. Good to hear from you again.

The squirrels around here aren't that bold. They just slink around
hoping for bird seed on the patio. My cat (Buffy) doesn't pay them (or
the birds) much attention. She does notice the deer that wander up to
the patio lookng for bird seed. What the heck are those big four legged
creatures? She's fascinated by deer.

Jill
Old November 15th 18, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

"Dan Mahoney" wrote in message
news
[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL. One year I had one that was sitting on the windowsill banging nuts
trying to get them open :-)

Good to hear from you Dan!
--
bill n

Old November 15th 18, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 11/14/2018 1:45 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine used to give peanuts to the squirrels. There was one
that would take the peanut from her hand. If she wasn't out there with
the peanuts when he thought she should be, he'd climb on the kitchen
window sill and scratch on the screen to remind her.
Old November 15th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 11/14/2018 1:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

My mother used to have a little toy poodle who thought she was a big
dog. She often chased much larger dogs. However, deer were another
story. My mother moved to a place where the deer came into her yard.
The dog didn't see any deer. ;-)
Old November 15th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/14/2018 8:45 PM, joy wrote:
[...]

Sometimes I guess it's better not to notice. Buffy looks at deer
like she'd love to stalk them, like a little lion out on the plains with
antelope. I'm pretty sure the deer would kick her butt if she tried to
chase one down so it's a good thing she's not allowed to go outside.

Jill