Cats are Not Anti-Social

Old January 19th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cats are Not Anti-Social

Scientific study (and personal experience) proves, cats are not anti-social:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.116157365ea3

or:

https://tinyurl.com/yamw6dwe

The crux of the matter seems to be "If you think cats are antisocial,
maybe it's you." LOL How true!

IMHO, a cat will always respond to attention. It might not want to
crawl up in bed with you, and it may not wag it's tail when you come
home (or maybe it will! Buffy does). But a cat always appreciates
scritches and hi, how are you?

I don't know why studies like this are a surprise to anyone. Cats are
only as aloof as you want them to be.

Jill
Old January 20th 19, 10:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On 1/18/2019 6:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Scientific study (and personal experience) proves, cats are not
anti-social:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.116157365ea3

or:

https://tinyurl.com/yamw6dwe

The crux of the matter seems to be "If you think cats are antisocial,
maybe it's you."Â* LOLÂ* How true!

IMHO, a cat will always respond to attention.Â* It might not want to
crawl up in bed with you, and it may not wag it's tail when you come
home (or maybe it will! Buffy does).Â* But a cat always appreciates
scritches and hi, how are you?

I don't know why studies like this are a surprise to anyone.Â* Cats are
only as aloof as you want them to be.

Jill

I agree. Every cat I have had (many!) has shown a love for attention.
All of them have also given lots of love to me. Nikki and Selina (the
two I have now) follow me everywhere, and Nikki often jumps up onto my
lap. I think that people who consider cats antisocial probably have
never given love and attention to a cat.

MaryL

Old January 22nd 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/20/2019 4:23 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 1/18/2019 6:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Scientific study (and personal experience) proves, cats are not
anti-social:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.116157365ea3

or:

https://tinyurl.com/yamw6dwe

The crux of the matter seems to be "If you think cats are antisocial,
maybe it's you."Â* LOLÂ* How true!

IMHO, a cat will always respond to attention.Â* It might not want to
crawl up in bed with you, and it may not wag it's tail when you come
home (or maybe it will! Buffy does).Â* But a cat always appreciates
scritches and hi, how are you?

I don't know why studies like this are a surprise to anyone.Â* Cats are
only as aloof as you want them to be.

Jill

I agree.Â* Every cat I have had (many!) has shown a love for attention.
AllÂ* of them have also given lots of love to me.Â* Nikki and Selina (the
two I have now) follow me everywhere, and Nikki often jumps up onto my
lap.Â* I think that people who consider cats antisocial probably have
never given love and attention to a cat.

MaryL

I can't say I've ever encountered an "aloof" cat. Persia (RB) sure
wasn't. She practically yowled herself silly until I opened the back
door to my apartment. She strolled in like she owned the place and that
was that.

I was told Buffy was timid. As soon as she realized (quickly) there
wasn't another cat here to bully her she turned into a total love-bug.
Now she owns this place (and me).

I have to say, my mother didn't really know what to think of cats. I
remember 25 years or so ago my parents were in town visiting (when my
brothers and I all lived in TN). We gathered at my oldest brother's
house and he had several cats. One small cat (maybe 6 months old)
jumped up on Mom's lap. She looked at me and said, "What do I do now?"
I was surprised she had to ask. I replied, "Uh... pet it?" She really
didn't know what to do.

Years later, she didn't know how to react to Persia, either. That was
fine, because Persia wasn't looking for a relationship with her. As far
as Persia was concerned, I was her hoomin, no one else. They lived
together, no problem. It was as if by mutual agreement they'd decided
not pay much attention to each other. LOL

I have no doubt, if I'd brought a Buffy (personality-wise) into the
house at that time, Buffy would have been trying to engage Mom. She'd
be like the little cat at my brother's house. Hello! I'd like a little
attention, please. I honestly don't know how Mom would have reacted
to that type of kitty personality.

I do think she would have preferred the, "I'll ignore you unless I need
something" attitude that Persia adopted.

Jill
Old January 26th 19, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2019-01-22 4:00 p.m., Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
Scientific study (and personal experience) proves, cats are not
anti-social:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.116157365ea3

or:

https://tinyurl.com/yamw6dwe

The crux of the matter seems to be "If you think cats are antisocial,
maybe it's you." LOL How true!

IMHO, a cat will always respond to attention. It might not want to
crawl up in bed with you, and it may not wag it's tail when you come
home (or maybe it will! Buffy does). But a cat always appreciates
scritches and hi, how are you?

I don't know why studies like this are a surprise to anyone. Cats are
only as aloof as you want them to be.

Jill

This is obviously by someone who doesn't get what cats are about. They are
sociable but not usually to everyone and not necessarily when we want them
to be. Sootie is not very sociable to outsiders but that's because they
tend to disturb her peace and quiet or take my attention from her. Sweep
(RB) loved people and was happy to be fussed and adored any time. They all
have different personalities just like we do. I'm more sociable with some
people than others at at different times too.

I've had a cat who wasn't cuddly and initially appeared to be
unsociable. Then I noticed that she might be, to all appearances, sound
asleep, but if I went to another room, she would almost instantly wander
in, curl up in a new spot, and sleep. Like most cats, she liked company
- but it had to be on her own terms. Of the two I have now, both like
petting - but one likes her tummy rubbed and the other, who has never
ever tired of having her back patted or brushes, will try to take your
hand off at the wrist if you dare touch her belly!

--
Cheryl
Old January 27th 19, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

On 2019-01-22 4:00 p.m., Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown

I've had a cat who wasn't cuddly and initially appeared to be unsociable.
Then I noticed that she might be, to all appearances, sound asleep, but if
I went to another room, she would almost instantly wander in, curl up in a

Ditto mine, but mine also behaves differently in different rooms, friendly
in one,
aloof in another.

new spot, and sleep. Like most cats, she liked company - but it had to be
on her own terms. Of the two I have now, both like petting - but one likes
her tummy rubbed and the other, who has never ever tired of having her
back patted or brushes, will try to take your hand off at the wrist if you
dare touch her belly!

*only* at the wrist? You're lucky.

Old January 27th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2019-01-22 4:00 p.m., Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown

I've had a cat who wasn't cuddly and initially appeared to be
unsociable. Then I noticed that she might be, to all appearances,
sound asleep, but if I went to another room, she would almost
instantly wander in, curl up in a

Ditto mine, but mine also behaves differently in different rooms,
friendly in one,
aloof in another.

new spot, and sleep. Like most cats, she liked company - but it had to
be on her own terms. Of the two I have now, both like petting - but
one likes her tummy rubbed and the other, who has never ever tired of
having her back patted or brushes, will try to take your hand off at
the wrist if you dare touch her belly!

*only* at the wrist? You're lucky.

Persia (RB) scratched the heck out of my forearm once. She was sleeping
next to me, on her back. I was half asleep myself. Without thinking I
put my hand on her tummy. She wrapped her front paws around my arm and
bunny-kicked with her rear claws. OUCH! Those were some deep gouges.

Buffy isn't crazy about having her tummy rubbed, either. She sometimes
allows it if she's doing a big stretch and I give her scritches along
her back first. I don't dare linger too long on the tummy, though.

Jill
Old January 30th 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2019-01-22 4:00 p.m., Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown

[...]

Sootie will only let me rub her tummy and then only when she's relaxed on
my lap. Although she did yesterday. She had to go to the vet for a full
dental, clean polish xrays and of course blood tests. Apparently, she was
a really good girl and when she was coming round from the anesthetic she
was very fussy and all the staff were fussing her and they said that at
one point she turned onto her back for mega tummy rubs. I think she's a
happy drunk.

Judith

LOL! Better than an angry drunk! I'm glad she came through it with a
happy attitude.

Jill
Old March 7th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 7:56:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
Scientific study (and personal experience) proves, cats are not anti-social:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.116157365ea3

or:

https://tinyurl.com/yamw6dwe

The crux of the matter seems to be "If you think cats are antisocial,
maybe it's you." LOL How true!

IMHO, a cat will always respond to attention. It might not want to
crawl up in bed with you, and it may not wag it's tail when you come
home (or maybe it will! Buffy does). But a cat always appreciates
scritches and hi, how are you?

Both Cali and Smokey used to bug me, if I was late to bed. Come on pillow, you're late for bed. Cali was very bright about this, she would run in my office, meow and run out, repeat until the dumb hooman follows you.

Smokey used to wait in the side window for me to come home, but now she never leaves the upstairs because of her arthritis.