Baby scores a lizard

Old December 7th 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Baby scores a lizard

On 12/6/2016 11:35 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 22:31:06 -0800, Joy wrote:

On 12/5/2016 7:18 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 22:09:29 -0500, dgk wrote:

My eyes noted a shiny black plastic storage bin that wasn't otherwise
occupied, so I picked it up and estutely noticed the rather large
lizard that had somehow gotten inside but couldn't climb up the
slippery plastic walls to get out again. Naturally I set it free
outside, but if it hadn't been for the tomato plants, that lizard
would have died in the container. I suspect that the lizard has no
idea how lucky he/she was.

GLyN had a phase, a few years ago, when he seemed fixated on lizards.
When I caught him with one, I'd rescue it and set it free away from
our yard. Then he developed a fascination with birds, especially the ones
on the canopies over the yard. The noise they made up there would really
drive him batty, but he seldom managed to catch one.

Today, I heard from the next door neighbor that GLyN has recently become
the head of the local anti-gopher league, and is making sure that NO
gopher in the hood is save. He even creates his own 'blind' to rest in
near a hole, while he waits for a head to pop up and be in range.

May I borrow him? My back yard is full of gopher holes.

Sorry, he doesn't travel well. If he sees or hears a car, even a block
away, he disappears.

Yes, most of the cats I've known have have hated the car.

Old December 7th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 3:42:15 AM UTC-5, John Kasupski wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 22:03:44 -0500, dgk wrote:

The lizard then moved up another 6" or so. Baby let out a pair of
yips, and simply jumped 6' or so right up the wall, knocked the lizard
to the floor, and the chase was on. I had no idea a cat could jump
that high from a standing start.

Startling, isn't it? I got my very first cat when she was a just-weaned kitten
and the first time I saw her, at about eight weeks old, jump from the floor
right to the top of a six-foot-high upright freezer, I was flabbergasted. I'd
heard cats were good jumpers, but I still wasn't quite ready for THAT...LOL!

I didn't know my Feather(RB) could jump until my friend dropped by the apartment with his Airedale. Feather got from the floor to the top of the refrigerator, seemingly without occupying any of the space in between, instantly.

--
Will now in Pompano Beach
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." - Steven Wright

Old December 11th 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 8:44:14 PM UTC-6, Will in New Haven wrote:
[...]

lol at your signature line haha steven wright

Old December 11th 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/10/2016 6:49 PM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
[...]

That *is* funny! I'd forgotten all about the very droll Steven Wright.

Will... when did you move to Pampano Beach?!

Jill
Old December 11th 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/6/2016 9:44 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:
[...]

Will, when did you move to Pompano Beach? Or is this a "winter home"?

Jill
Old December 13th 16, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 10:03:52 PM UTC-5, dgk wrote:
Baby, my fairly feral girl, was sitting on the night table as she
often does in the morning, watching stuff outside and wishing she
could be out there. Suddenly I heard a peculiar yip sound, I looked at
her, and she was staring up the wall at a small lizard maybe 8' up. It
was too high for me to easily coax into a cup or box, so I figured
that I'd wait until something else happened.

The lizard then moved up another 6" or so. Baby let out a pair of
yips, and simply jumped 6' or so right up the wall, knocked the lizard
to the floor, and the chase was on. I had no idea a cat could jump
that high from a standing start.

It was not really a fair contest and within a few seconds Baby had it
in her mouth. Then she let it go, chased it, and so on. Finally she
just watched it on the rug and I swooped in, picked it up, and
transported it outside. It still had all its appendages and seemed in
surprisingly good shape considering what had just happened. It was
certainly still alive. I put it in the grass, wished it a good
journey, and went back inside where I saw Baby looking all over for
the lizard.

Cats really are astonishingly hard wired killers, and sadistic as
well. Maybe that's reading too much into it, there's probably a reason
that they've evolved to play with their food, but Baby wasn't even
hungry. She had no intention of eating it.

Oh, while this was going on, Scooter watched carefully, taking notes.
He closed in while Baby tortured the lizard, observing. All I can add
is, I'm glad that I'm bigger than the kitties.

Take a look at this picture of cat and a lizard
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ph...amily/27740669

Winnie

Old December 16th 16, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:19:30 -0800 (PST), Rusty
wrote:

[...]

Yikes - brave lizard.
Winnie

Old December 16th 16, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

[...]

That lizard doesn't know the cat is a predator, and the cat doesn't know
the lizard is food. Apparently, they're friends.

Joyce
--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

Buffy and The Lizard jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 4 September 30th 15 07:04 AM
Debate class scores MLB[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 1 November 5th 09 02:02 AM
Lizard wafflycat Cat anecdotes 7 June 12th 06 04:28 PM
[Bubbels] High Scores Yowie Cat anecdotes 15 December 9th 04 03:48 AM
Bagging a lizard. P. Cox Cat anecdotes 5 October 17th 03 12:13 AM