MUST give away Tonkinese!

Old July 1st 04, 04:01 PM
Cat Protector

You proved exactly my point. You care more for property than the cat. Things
can be replaced, a life can't. Besides didn't you state earlier that you
adopted the cat knowing the problem? How can you take in a special needs cat
the one minute and then get rid of them the next? That is a pretty cold
thing to do. You also adopted from a breeder instead of giving a cat in a
shelter awaiting adoption a good home. Buy adopting from a breeder you do
nothing to help in the overpopulation problem. As for the 17 year old
rescue, it is funny you mention that when someone is bold enough to say they
are against you tossing a cat out like a beer can. You also now state that
you might get another cat and if they too are a problem will re-home them.
How can you be so cold?

People like yourself should not adopt an animal unless you are willing to
give them love and care for the rest of their life. Having a cat is a
lifelong responsibility not some part-time one where if a problem happens
the cat goes. You say my posts do nothing to help the cat but it does. It
ensures that there are people willing to take a stand against those
irresponsible humans who feel the cat is disposable when the problem can be
easily solved. You mention how important your stuff is ratgher than how
important the cat is. You say that if I cared about the cat that I should
come up with something useful to say. Well I have but you just aren't
listening. I first said get the cat to a vet and have this looked into but
post after post you said they couldn't find a problem or that you have no
idea what it is. You then started to complain about how your stuff is being
ruined or how much it costs. That does nothing more than say "I care more
about the money and my stuff than the cat."

I see people like you every day who drop cats off at the shelter or re-home
a cat because they discover they can't handle the responsibility. Every one
of them has an excuse like they are moving, new baby, my SO or I am is
allergic, and any other weak reason for doing what they do. Too many humans
are using shelters as drop-off points and they are filled to capacity
because of the ever increasing overpopulation problem and also because some
humans feel that when a problem happens they'd rather end their
responsibility. I feel bad for the many cats that end up in shelters. Sure
you didn't dump the cat out in the street but you also are making excuses by
adding to the overpopulation problem and sending a message to many that it
is ok to get rid of the cat if any problem arises. I hope you will not adopt
another cat that needs a good and loving home unless you are fully prepared
to take on the responsibility for not just part of the animals life but
their entire lifetime.

As for your theory of my kind of message making people mad or resulting in
dumping of the cat, that is pretty week. Before I even posted you made the
decision to get rid of the cat. What kind of message do you think you are
sending? At least when I have adopted a cat I did not dump them as soon as a
problem has arisen. If anything my message says that every cat deserves a
good and loving home and that adopting one takes great responsibility and
care. If you are unprepared for the responsibility then don't adopt so you
can ensure that cat has a long and happy life with a human who will take on
that lifelong task.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Phil" wrote in message
Well, I figured a response like this would come along sooner or later. If
you read three of my other responses in this thread you would not have to
wonder if we had the problem looked into by a vet. We have. I never said
the cat is "disposable". Do I care more about my property than the cat?
Well, there is a balance! I expect and tolerate occasional mistakes

and/or
damage from a pet. But, no sane person is going to tolerate $1500
mattresses, $1000 couches, etc. being destroyed by a cat, on a regular
basis. Sure, it can be cleaned (sometimes), or replaced, but there is no
way I am willing to spend that kind of money, CONSTANTLY, to keep a cat.
Nor am I willing to have guests over and have their belongings urinated

on.
It may be worth it to you, and maybe you can even afford to do that, but
personally, I think that's nuts. Moreover, I am not obligated to adhere

your standards, so quit trying to apply them to me.

Treat a cat like a beer can? You know precious little about how I treat a
cat. You don't know that the last cat we had was also a rescue kitten,

that
we kept her for 17 years and euthanised after she was falling apart due to
old age, and suffering. Our other cat was a also a rescue kitten who

found
another home. I, and my wife love animals, with both of us rescuing
everything from a spider in the house, to rattlesnakes and other snakes on
the road, to lost kittens and dogs, and injured birds. With all due
respect, you are clueless on how I treat animals or this cat, so cut the
judgment crap.

Yes, it is a life we are talking about, and I am doing all that I can to
ensure the cat gets the best life possible. I could take the most

expedient
solution and just drop her off at the ASPCA. But, I am not doing that.

If
your standards for "life" are so high, do you care about the snakes I
rescue, or do you even blink an eye when you see one hit or run over on

the
road? A squirrel? Deer?

Your equating of human child with a cat is course, laughably absurd. If
that were at all sensible, then I guess I ought to be telling my daughter,
"sorry can't pay for the college tuition because we have some expensive
ongoing vet bills to pay". Ridiculous. I expect reasonable vet bills,

but
there is a limit. You have yours (maybe), I have mine.

We might get another cat. Or some other pet. If it is a problem, we will
have to find a better life for it. Period. Of course, we always look for

pet that appears to be a good fit for our home. Dumping on the street or
shelter? Gee whiz, I AM here on this board, trying to find a good home.

If
I was inclined to do as you suggest, why am I here?

Trust me, this cat has gotten very good care. Again, you have zero idea

of
the care we have given, so your assertions are baseless. But, if you are

so
certain my level of care is poor, and that destruction of property is
tolerable, then you won't have any problem taking the cat will you? ....I
thought so...

Your kind of response does absolutely NOTHING to help the cat, which I

would
expect is what you want. Your energies are directed at trying to assail
people who don't fit with your "cat on a pedestal" mentality. If you

really
cared about the cat, you would come up with something useful to say. You
should know this is the second time I have visited cat forums for help,

and
both times, I get your kind of drivel. Fortunately, some of the other
posters have posted helpful information, a feature sorely missing in your
rant.

If nothing else, remember this. I came here for some help. Your kind of
response just turns people away or ticks them off, which may mean they

will
do the very thing you abhor. Dump on the street, shelter, or euthanize.
How well does that sit with you?

- Phil

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I have to wonder if you even went to a vet to have this problem looked

into.
I think it is terrible you think this cat is disposable. I hope this cat
gets a good home because you obviously care more about your property

(which
can be cleaned or replaced) than this cat. Why is it that people like
yourself treat this cat like a beer can? This is a life we are talking
about. Would you get rid of a human child if they had a medical issue?
Though some might applaud that you are wanting to see this cat in a good
home, I have to wonder if you'll get another cat that you'll end up

dumping
into a shelter or on the street because you chose not to handle your
lifelong responsibility. This cat deserves better and I hope she gets a

good
and loving home because obviously her humans do not care enough to give

her
the very best care. If you decide to keep her then a vet can possibly

find
the problem if it is medical. It might be easily solved or it may be

stress
that is causing it.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Phil" wrote in message
We have a Tonkinese female, about 6 years old, that we absolutely must

get
out of the house. We want her to have a good home, but the Tonkinese

rescue
group has not been responsive, despite repeated efforts for their

help.
The
cat must go. She urinates huge amounts of urine periodically, so she

must
be confined where she can not destroy property. She is housed in a

room
and
gets attention, but she can not be a member of this household. The

vet
says
she is healthy. This last time, the cat jumped on our bed like she

always
does, ambled over to us as my wife and I lay under the covers, and as

she
walked across the bed, unloaded a 2 foot long mass of urine, spreading

half a foot wide, and in a manner of minutes, soaked through a

comforter,
electric blanket, two sheets, and partially into a brand new mattress.
Luckily, I saved the mattress. The cat will do these kinds of things,
within 10 feet of perfectly clean cat box. She will do it if people

are
home or not. We can not establish any pattern. Typically happens

once
every few weeks.

We have made the decision to relinquish ownership. She has papers. I

just
want to make sure she has a good home, that can deal with her unusual
behaviors. The cat is otherwise just fine, affectionate, playful

(loves
chasing laser pointer dot, keeping away from eyes), eats well, etc..

Has
all claws, but is spayed. Tolerates our 13 year old, laid back

Dalmatian,
but the cat is more fearful of her than she needs to be. The dog

could
care
less about the cat.

If anyone can direct me to someone who can help with rescue, I would
appreciate it. We live in the San Francisco bay area.

Thanks,

- Phil

Old July 1st 04, 04:03 PM
Cat Protector

A nice idea. But do they work? If the problem is not medical then it is
psychological and I do know that they have psychics for animals. That too is
a solution because the credible ones can get to the source of the problem.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Wendy" wrote in message
They do sell diapers for cats. Might help as a temporary measure.

http://www.joybies.com/pagecat.html

Old July 1st 04, 04:43 PM
Sunflower

I take it then that you are going to accept this animal into your home? Our
shelter also currently has 2 other cats that were surrendered with
inappropriate elimination issues and who are fully healthy. Would you like
to arrange transportation for them too? And the 20% figure that I gave for
the behavior modification with Prozac is exactly what the 4 different vets
who work with the Humane Society also gave me. It's also what I've
experienced personally with shelter cats and one of my own personal cats.
Medication did NOT help. Two years of trying everything under the sun did
nothing, and my own cat became more and more anxious and nervous, which is
why I ended up fostering him and keeping him in the first place. I do blame
it on his declaw, which he came to me with and had to be redone it was
botched so badly. For that reason, he could not go out to the barn with the
feral colony that I maintain. $1200 worth of medical tests, with all of
them coming back normal. What would you suggest now?

When someone's made the decision to relinquish an animal, that decision has
been made. You might change the mind of 25% of them with further
information, but usually, they just end up relinquishing the animal later
when someone else is on the intake desk. By the time the ads go out and the
shelter is visited, it's a done deal. That animal either finds a new home,
or is tossed out. It's better that an animal be euthanized by an owner than
to be relinquished to some of the awful kill shelters I've seen, and better
to be euthanized than go to some of the no kill facilities I've seen as
well. If an animal is living in a shelter situation, it's cruel to keep
them there longer than about 6 months. Living life in a 30 inch cat tower
isn't a life. Rescues themselves have a responsibility to not be cruel to
the animals in their charge, and making an animal live their life out in a
shelter is cruel.

Not all animals problems can be fixed and not all animals can be saved.
Since rescue resources are limited, they go further if you admit that there
are those that shouldn't be taken on, and help 5 other cats in their place.
That's also realistic.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:29 AM
Electric Nachos

Wendy wrote in message ...

"Electric Nachos" buenos.dias@mother.****er wrote in message
What a horrible suggestion! Accordingly, perhaps your parents should have
killed you upon discovery of one of your flaws!!!

I think cats are about the dumbest creatures on this planet - but I would
never KILL them just because they won't go pee-pee in the cat-pot! What

kind
of human are you!?!?

Just throw the damn thing outside. CATS LIKE TO BE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!

not touching the inside outside debate with a 10 ft pole

Are you suggesting this cat be left out 24/7?

Cats prefer the outdoors. Humans prefer the indoors. Cats are not human.

If not why do you thing putting the cat outside will stop the peeing when
she's inside?

Putting a cat outside will STOP a cat from Peeing INSIDE.

Old July 2nd 04, 12:15 PM
Wendy

Wendy wrote in message ...

"Electric Nachos" buenos.dias@mother.****er wrote in message
What a horrible suggestion! Accordingly, perhaps your parents should

have
killed you upon discovery of one of your flaws!!!

I think cats are about the dumbest creatures on this planet - but I

would
never KILL them just because they won't go pee-pee in the cat-pot! What

kind
of human are you!?!?

Just throw the damn thing outside. CATS LIKE TO BE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!

not touching the inside outside debate with a 10 ft pole

Are you suggesting this cat be left out 24/7?

Cats prefer the outdoors. Humans prefer the indoors. Cats are not human.

If not why do you thing putting the cat outside will stop the peeing when
she's inside?

Putting a cat outside will STOP a cat from Peeing INSIDE.

OK then you are suggesting putting the cat outside all day, every day. Just
wanted to make sure I understood exactly what you were suggesting.

I can't say I can agree with your blanket cats prefer outside statement.
Just like people I'm sure they prefer inside in the rain, snow, cold
weather, when being picked on etc.

If a cat has always been inside they find being outside very stressful.