Wellness Cat

Old March 31st 05, 05:06 AM
Suzanne via CatKB.com

Default Wellness Cat

A neighbor moved and left me their cat, she's 10 years old and is normal
size domestic short hair. I had a cat when I was growing up, but don't
remember how much we fed it.

I was told that the Wellness brand is very good, it certainly smells better
than the supermarket brands! I feed her one can a day, half in the morning,
half at night. She gobbles down each half in one sitting.

That's why I'm concerned. The can says 6 oz for adult cats..Is this enough?
She also eats dry food, but I know wet is better..Should I leave out 1/4
cup dry per day as a "snack"?

Old March 31st 05, 05:20 AM

One half can twice a day for an average (9-10 lb.) size female cat is
*plenty* and may even cause a little weight gain. Feed her on a 12 hour
schedule and don't add any dry as it will cause her to get fat. You want
to figure about 15 calories per pound per day for a cat with an average
activity level, and a 5.5 oz can of Wellness averages around 170. Since
she is 10 and considered a senior it would be a good idea to take her in
for a thorough vet check and have bloodwork, including a thyroid test,
done so you have a good idea of her overall health and a baseline to
work from.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 31st 05, 07:23 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-31, Suzanne via CatKB.com penned:
A neighbor moved and left me their cat, she's 10 years old and is normal
size domestic short hair. I had a cat when I was growing up, but don't
remember how much we fed it.

I was told that the Wellness brand is very good, it certainly smells better
than the supermarket brands! I feed her one can a day, half in the morning,
half at night. She gobbles down each half in one sitting.

That's why I'm concerned. The can says 6 oz for adult cats..Is this enough?
She also eats dry food, but I know wet is better..Should I leave out 1/4 cup
dry per day as a "snack"?

Oscar gets one 5.5 oz can a day, split between two meals. She's definitely
not starving =P She gets no dry in addition to that, but I do give her
occasional treats, either commercial cat treats or a little bit of my tuna or
chicken if that's what I'm having.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 31st 05, 10:47 AM
MaryL

"Suzanne via CatKB.com" wrote in message
A neighbor moved and left me their cat, she's 10 years old and is normal
size domestic short hair. I had a cat when I was growing up, but don't
remember how much we fed it.

I was told that the Wellness brand is very good, it certainly smells
better
than the supermarket brands! I feed her one can a day, half in the
morning,
half at night. She gobbles down each half in one sitting.

That's why I'm concerned. The can says 6 oz for adult cats..Is this
enough?
She also eats dry food, but I know wet is better..Should I leave out 1/4
cup dry per day as a "snack"?

What size cans are you using, and what weight do you mean by "normal size"?
I have two cats, Duffy and Holly, who are fed exclusively on Wellness canned
(but a variety of flavors) with just an occasional "treat" of a small amount
of Wellness dry. I use 5.5 oz. cans. Each cat gets 1/3 can morning and 1/3
can evening (on a 12-hour schedule), and their weight has remained
absolutely stable at a little more than 9 pounds for Holly and slightly more
than 8 pounds for Duffy. If your cats are larger, then you would need to
adjust the quantity. Both of my cats are also very active cats, but this
diet has done wonders for them. They had their annual physical exams last
weet, and TED commented on the "beautiful coats" on both cats.

MaryL