Cats and snow and cold

Old January 7th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Cats and snow and cold

It isn't below 0F in NYC right now but it is pretty close. The outside
cats always disappear when we get a big snow and show up again in
three or four days. After the snow from last Friday they didn't show
up again until Monday, when three of them came to eat. The fourth one
had been spotted a day earlier.

But this cold is something else. Buddy, the grey feral, spent the
night in the heated box that I had built for Baby. I think Baby and
her mom, Jet, spent the night under the porch of a neighbor a few
doors away. They go there when there is heavy snow and just stay under
the porch. It's shelltered from the wind but there is no insulation of
any kind.

There are also several cats that live in the backyards, but one of my
neighbors has some crude shelters for them and I guess they stay
there. I'll have to ask her.

It's interesting how they manage to survive these temperatures. I
mean, they do have fur coats but still, it's cold.
Old January 7th 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Nearly 0F is * very cold* it rarely gets that low here.
You're having such awful weather over the pond.

You do such good work by providing a heated shelter for the ferals. If your
neighbour who has the crude shelters is interested maybe they could put one
box inside another. stuff the space in between with insulating material and
make sure to keep if off the ground.
A cat who is always outside can grow a very thick coat, I guess this is how
the remaining population of Scottish wildcats survive. It's more than cold
in the wilds of Scotland (which is where they are) and there's a lot of
snow.
http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/wildcat.html

I've noticed that Boyfriend, who goes out regularly, has a really thick coat
now compared to a friend's cat who isn't allowed out and spends her life in
a warm, centrally heated house.
Although even if I kept him in, Boyfie would grow a big coat in the winter
grin
So I guess the answer is the colder it gets the more coat they grow. Not
longer, but thicker and that's how they survive.
Nature is a wonderful thing.

Tweed

Old January 7th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

So I guess the answer is the colder it gets the more coat they grow. Not
longer, but thicker and that's how they survive.
Nature is a wonderful thing.

Tweed

Also, snow itself has insulating qualities - witness Eskimo igloos.
Old January 7th 14, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~
My sister lives in Northeast Ohio. She says the temperature has "warmed up"
to -8F (but much colder chill factor). Fortunately, she is retired and can
stay comfortable indoors with her two cats.

MaryL

Old January 7th 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"dgk" wrote in message ...

[...]

As a native Southern Californian, I can't even imagine that kind of cold! I
did experience 14 F once on a December visit to Alaska, and that was more
than cold enough for me.

Joy

Old January 7th 14, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

So I guess the answer is the colder it gets the more coat they grow. Not
longer, but thicker and that's how they survive.
Nature is a wonderful thing.

Tweed

Also, snow itself has insulating qualities - witness Eskimo igloos.

*if* Boyfie was thrown out into the snow (of course I wouldn't do that) he
has enough big coat (fur) to survive.
Not only does he goes out in the winter, he has to be in my cold house so he
grows a massive coat to deal with it.
He's never cold. Unlike myself.

Old January 7th 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message ...

"MaryL" wrote in message

"dgk" wrote in message ...

[...]

It was much worse when I was a graduate student at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln because the wind just never stopped blowing there. That
might the wind chill much worse. I could not afford a car when I was a
student and depended on bus transportation. I would stand well back from
the street on especially windy days while I waited for the bus because I was
afraid that a gust of wind could blow me into the street. That sounds
silly, but it was real.

MaryL

Old January 8th 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message ...

"MaryL" wrote in message

"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

No, it doesn't sound silly. Out here we get wind strong enough to overturn
a semi, so I can fully understand your wanting to be sheltered. It's
possible that staying near the building was a little warmer too, although I
suspect when it gets cold enough you can't tell much difference.

Joy

Old January 8th 14, 11:13 PM
Bill Stock999 Bill Stock999 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message ...

It was -14F here on Tuesday morning, cool, but nothing like the -40F I experienced growing up. Smokey is an indoor cat, but the cats we had a a child were In/Out. Although @ -40F they tended to be in my bed, but not always. Fluffy was part Persian and more hair than cat, Ol' Tom was a tough kitty who pulled himself out of a leg trap before breaking into our garage to adopt us.