Boyfie has this trick

Old January 10th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Boyfie has this trick

Christina Websell wrote:

We did have a bit of problem a while ago, someone got a bicycle stolen from
their yard and another got their hub caps stolen from their car outside on
the street.
I hate to admit this (stereotyping) but I always suspected the scrap dealers
that were up here twice a week with their vans. Since they now have to be
licensed to do this and cannot take stuff to a scrapyard to get a cash
payment, they don't come any more and nothing metal has gone missing. I
lost my wrought iron side gate when I was in hospital.
The law was brought in after so many buildings (churches, especially) were
being stripped of the lead on their roof.
Now, the scrapyards can only pay you by cheque, which has had a brilliant
effect on opportunistic metal thieves here as has the licensing law. Now,
if they steal it, they can't get rid of it as the scrapyards get regular
visits from the enforcement agency and if they can't account for where it
came from with paperwork, they will get a massive fine. Seems to be working
quite well ;-)

There's a similar problem over here with copper theft. People steal plumbing
from buildings (pipes newer than a certain time are made of copper). I wish
they'd try something like that here.

--
Joyce

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old January 10th 14, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I'm not suggesting USA people leave their doors open, what with the
raccoons, huge insects, possums, cougars, bears, and alligators.

Heh, and don't forget humans. At least the ones who have nothing good on
their minds.

There are plenty of insects on this continent, but I don't think of them
as huge. That sounds more like Australia.

At least we don't get all of these animals together in one place!

It's been safe here to do this for many years as we don't get any of them.
The worst I got, wildlife-wise, was when a blackbird kept coming into the
house to steal dog food to feed his large babies and one of my whippets
chased him on to a shelf, where he knocked some precious ornaments over,
sentimental value, and smashed them to bits.

I'll bet you never thought you'd have to plan for a wildlife accident when
you put those ornaments on the shelf!

Old January 10th 14, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-01-09 10:06 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Employees at a local scrapyard recently started wondering if a bell they
had purchased might not have been acquired legally, so they called the
police. Sure enough, it had been stolen from a church.

Modern plumbing all seems to be plastic, but when copper prices go up,
the more stupid of the local thieves steal wiring from phone and power
installations. Sooner or later one of them will be electrocuted.

There is a small development where I used to live in which the old
buildings were torn down and the new ones built slowly, over a period of
just over 3 years. For long periods of time, the site was left
unattended and unsecured. I saw nothing myself, but I heard that
building supplies vanished from the site at an astonishing rate.
--
Cheryl
Old January 10th 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should suggest it to the powers that be ;-)
It's been a spectacular success here although it only came into force quite
recently
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ome-into-force

Tweed

Old January 11th 14, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:30:35 -0330, Cheryl wrote:

Employees at a local scrapyard recently started wondering if a bell they
had purchased might not have been acquired legally, so they called the
police. Sure enough, it had been stolen from a church.

In the mid-1980s, I worked as a security guard. Some of my time was
spent guarding a scrapyard. At the time, copper prices had not yet risen
high enough to encourage a lot of theft, but aluminum was sufficiently
valuable that they had problems with people stealing drink cans and other
aluminum scrap from the scrapyard, then selling it back to the scrapyard
the next day. So, they invested in a smelter that could reduce the scrap
to ingots weighing about 1000 pounds each. Not only were these ingots a
lot harder to steal, but they also had the scrapyard's initials molded
into them. Incidentally, when an ingot was poured into the mold, it took
about three days for it to cool down to ambient temperature, despite
aluminum being a fairly good heat-conductor.