Underground radio type fences

Old November 29th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Zy

Default Underground radio type fences

Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

Old November 30th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Nov 29, 3:29*pm, "Zy" wrote:
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

I am wondering why your cats can't go outside now for a little while?
What exactly is the problem if they should wander out of your rear
yard? (Note: I am asking Zy this question. No one else need reply.)
Old November 30th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Zy

"honeybunch" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 3:29 pm, "Zy" wrote:
[...]

Lots of fast-moving vehicular traffic here (only a mile or so from Trenton,
NJ). And there are some low class neighbors that are cause for worry. I'm
uncertain about the disposition of the adults, but there are several
undisciplined youngsters that should be considered harmful; not just to
animals.

When an "action cat" gets freedom outdoors, it can easily put some distance
between itself and its master. Can't be spending 30-40 minutes chasing down
my cat in my neighbor's yards only several minutes after its let outside.

Old November 30th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

On Nov 29, 3:29 pm, "Zy" wrote:
[...]

Guess what, asshole, that's what email is for. If you're to ask a stupid
question in Usenet expect replies from all over the place.

What exactly is the problem? Ever seen a cat run over by a car? Ripped open
by a dog? Then there are parasites and sadistic humans who torture and kill
cats for fun.

Old November 30th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Zy" wrote
Lots of fast-moving vehicular traffic here (only a mile or so from
Trenton, NJ). And there are some low class neighbors that are cause for
worry. I'm uncertain about the disposition of the adults, but there are
several undisciplined youngsters that should be considered harmful; not
just to animals.

You're very smart. Have you considered one of the outdoor enclosures for
cats? I would still want to be at home when I allowed my cats out in one of
these, but they seem neat. With regard to radio fences, I have never heard
of these used with cats. I just saw one system at Drs. Foster and Smith for
$200. I still would not leave the cats unattended, too many sickos out
there.

If you like to spend time outside reading or such, maybe a harness and long
lead would work for you. Thanks for being a responsible cat person and not
allowing your cat to roam.

Old November 30th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Zy" wrote in message
[...]

One of my neighbors has and invisible fence (that's what they're called). So
far, he's lost 2 dogs to cars and he's working on the third. I don't
recommend them- especially for cats.

Phil

Old November 30th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Zy exclaimed (11/29/2008 3:29 PM):
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

Zy, I know little about the buried cable fences, but I've heard they are
ineffective for cats. Instead, I'd suggest some sort of outdoor
enclosure - you can buy them, or make them yourself.

There's a few options in he

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?c=3261+2053

I've seen the Kittywalk Carnival versions, they're bigger than the
pictures suggest - almost bought one for Meep.

There are also companies that will make them for you, though I don't
know of any offhand.

Some will built really elaborate structures that are accessible by a cat
door in a door - or a window.

Here's one I quite like: http://www.just4cats.com/post5.html from
http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html

They supply the drawings, you build the enclosure.

You are doing the right thing by not letting them outside in suburbia!
Suburbia is a very dangerous place for cats, even if you live on a
cul-de-sac and have good neighbors.

Do you have a deck? Another option might be screening it in - the
self-proclaimed "crazy cat lady" from two doors down has done that.

jmc
Old November 30th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Here's one I quite like: *http://www.just4cats.com/post5.htmlf...com/page7.html

They supply the drawings, you build the enclosure.

You are doing the right thing by not letting them outside in suburbia!
Suburbia is a very dangerous place for cats, even if you live on a
cul-de-sac and have good neighbors.

Do you have a deck? *Another option might be screening it in - the
self-proclaimed "crazy cat lady" from two doors down has done that.

jmc

Isn't outdoor enclosure the same as being locked indoors? What's the
point? I thought being outdoors is being able to run around, climb,
dig, and scratch, etc.
Old December 1st 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (11/30/2008 11:02 AM):
On Nov 30, 10:08 am, jmc wrote:
[...]

Did you look at those enclosures? I think it's also being able to smell
the outside air, feel the breeze, watch the birds and squirrels and
whatever, enjoy the sunshine on their backs...

It's a compromise between the cat's desires and what's safest. Like
fencing off your back yard for your small child. I'm sure the kid would
have a ball running free in the forest, but of course it wouldn't be safe.

My cat often just likes the door to be open a crack, so she can sniff
the outside air.

jmc
Old December 1st 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 29, 3:29*pm, "Zy" wrote:
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

Been there, done that. Our big Maine Coon would twitch as he walked
across the fence - and twitch when he walked back across it. Even with
the "enhanced" (large dog receiver) system and long spikes. He would
_never_ run or jump across the fence, nor would he try to get around
it. He would walk straight down the path to the gate, and straight
through the gate never changing his very moderate pace. I tried the
collar on my fingers to see if it worked - and *YES* *IT* *DID*. So,
don't waste your money. Dogs, on the other hand, exist to please so
they will typically respond to the appropriate collar and spike
combination.

If you are on a busy street without a large amount of safe and more
attractive-to-cats access, an enclosed outdoor area is the only safe
option. More-so than that, it is nearly impossible to overcome a cat's
natural curiosity - they will roam in every direction but the one you
want.

And a cat that does not want to be on a leash will slip a neck collar
nearly instantly and tangle a harness almost as quickly. Go with the
enclosure. A portable screen room (with an attached floor) is an
inexpensive option, or one that can be tied down well enough to
prevent them going under the skirts.

Just keep in mind that they will haunt the doors and attempt to pull
the screens out of windows.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Which Type of Cat Carrier is Best? Ruby Tuesday Cat health & behaviour 9 September 6th 05 08:49 PM
Speaking of Fences (OT) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 July 27th 05 03:20 AM
I am trying to type yepp Cat anecdotes 8 March 17th 05 10:21 PM
Cat underground railroad dhelderman Cat anecdotes 6 September 5th 04 09:39 PM
how to lure kittens from their underground nest? Ozdes Cat rescue 2 October 21st 03 08:53 PM