problems with newsgroups

Old June 6th 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Default problems with newsgroups

MaryL wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message ...

On 06/03/2012 11:31 AM, MaryL wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote:
I'm testing this method. I have not been able to send messages to
newsgroups for some time, so I am checking to see if I can get through
this way.

MaryL

I see you, I hope your problem has been solved.

Your messages show up here but are so pale I can hardly read them. MLB

I don't have any idea why that would be, so I don't know how to change
it. I post in plain text and do not use colors. Everyone's messages
look exactly the same to me, with regard to print intensity.

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

MaryL

With Thunderbird, only one of your messages looked pale. It was the one
replying to Adrian, and I think it was related to your quoting problem.
Adrian's name appears in the signature line of his posts, and since your
quoting didn't work correctly, when you replied to him your message was
just appended to the end of his, and was assumed by the newsreader to be
a part of his sig line, too :-) Signatures are displayed in a paler
color by some newsreaders (like Thunderbird).

You should be able to prevent this from happening by making sure to
delete the line from a quoted post that has only "--" on it (without the
quotes). That is the line which tells the newsreader that all the text
which follows is a sig, and should be colored differently.

Of course, some newsreaders automatically strip out the signature when
you reply to a post. If you can configure yours to do that, it should
also take care of the problem :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old June 6th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

[...]

In many newsreaders, these kinds of effects are configurable. For example,
in my newsreader, if I were to surround a word with asterisks (indicating
emphasis - the text-only equivalent of a bold font), it displays in a more
pale color when I read the post. I could change this, though. Maybe I will -
it seems counterintuitive that something that's supposed to substitute for
bold comes out paler!

By the way, Nadia, how's Kotyo doing?

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old June 6th 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Nadia N." wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I can do that (and did here). However, I'm puzzled because all
messages look the same (ordinary black print) when I read them.

I got rid of Thunderbird. It picked up messages from my private mail that I
do not use for newsgroups and placed them in the online Thunderbird mail. I
do not like that.

MaryL

Old June 6th 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Bastette wrote:

By the way, Nadia, how's Kotyo doing?

He's doing great. Completely back to normal. All the holes and wounds in
his chest and side have closed, and even the scabs have already fallen
off. He's back to his spoiled rotten little monster self. It will be a
month tomorrow since his trachea ruptured, and the only sign that there
was ever anything wrong with him is all the shaved spots on his chest,
front legs and sides...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old June 6th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

MaryL wrote:

"Nadia N." wrote in message

You should be able to prevent this from happening by making sure to
delete the line from a quoted post that has only "--" on it (without the
quotes). That is the line which tells the newsreader that all the text
which follows is a sig, and should be colored differently.

Of course, some newsreaders automatically strip out the signature when
you reply to a post. If you can configure yours to do that, it should
also take care of the problem :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Thanks, I can do that (and did here). However, I'm puzzled because all
messages look the same (ordinary black print) when I read them.

This post shows in black for me in Thunderbird, so it seems to have
worked :-)

Your messages showing in black print for you but not for others depends
on your newsreader's settings. I guess your newsreader is not set to
show signatures in a paler color, unlike mine.

I got rid of Thunderbird. It picked up messages from my private mail
that I do not use for newsgroups and placed them in the online
Thunderbird mail. I do not like that.

MaryL

I am not sure what your version of Thunderbird was doing. I am running a
pretty old version (2.0), connected to my gmail account, and it does not
put anything online that I don't want it to. It does download all my
gmail emails to my computer, but that is actually something that I want
it to do :-) But I don't know if it can be configured to just act as a
newsreader and not as an email client - maybe if you do not add any
email accounts in Account Settings, but only add a news provider account?

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old June 6th 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Nadia N." wrote in message
news
MaryL wrote:

"Nadia N." wrote in message

[...]

When I first installed Thunderbird, I made the mistake of clicking on an
option to download settings from my default email. I did that so it would
pick up the correct information for SMTP server, etc. Unfortunately, that
meant that it also picked up all my mailboxes and mail in that account.
That is not an account that I ever use for the Internet or newsgroups. So,
I uninstalled Thunderbird and reinstalled. I went through that process over
and over again, but it never let me remove that option. So, I have gotten
rid of Thunderbird and have completely given up on it.

MaryL

Old June 6th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Nadia N." wrote:
Bastette wrote:
By the way, Nadia, how's Kotyo doing?

He's doing great. Completely back to normal. All the holes and wounds in
his chest and side have closed, and even the scabs have already fallen
off. He's back to his spoiled rotten little monster self. It will be a
month tomorrow since his trachea ruptured, and the only sign that there
was ever anything wrong with him is all the shaved spots on his chest,
front legs and sides...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

That is very good to hear.

--
Adrian
Old June 6th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Nadia N." wrote:
MaryL wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message ...

[...]

I use Thunderbird for usenet and Outlook for mail on my laptop.
--
Adrian
Old June 7th 12, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

Bastette wrote:

By the way, Nadia, how's Kotyo doing?

He's doing great. Completely back to normal. All the holes and wounds in
his chest and side have closed, and even the scabs have already fallen
off. He's back to his spoiled rotten little monster self. It will be a
month tomorrow since his trachea ruptured, and the only sign that there
was ever anything wrong with him is all the shaved spots on his chest,
front legs and sides...

I'm so glad to hear it!

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher
Old June 26th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 6/5/2012 10:20 PM, MaryL wrote:

I got rid of Thunderbird. It picked up messages from my private mail
that I do not use for newsgroups and placed them in the online
Thunderbird mail. I do not like that.

Live mail doesn't add quote characters anymore (). It isn't worth
using. I can tutor you on Thunderbird or Xnews though Xnews might not
be to your liking.

Newsgroups David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 10 October 15th 09 09:10 PM
Newsgroups OT Bev Cat anecdotes 4 July 2nd 09 03:47 PM
Newsgroups, ot ollie2 Cat anecdotes 13 June 30th 09 06:35 PM
newsgroups rich Cat health & behaviour 4 June 18th 08 08:05 PM
Newsgroups Bev Cat anecdotes 4 August 3rd 06 09:27 AM