The Case Of The Stolen Shoelace

Old January 17th 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default The Case Of The Stolen Shoelace

Last night after she'd been nosing around out on the sun porch, Minnie came
running up to me with a rawhide shoelace she'd apparently found there in a bag
of old clothes that looked like they'd belonged to my landlady's eight-year old
son. The only pair of boots in the bag had no laces on them. I found the other
shoelace still in the bag. The boots may have fit her son five years ago, but no
longer - so I allowed Minnie's claim of salvage rights to stand, took one of the
shoelaces into the living room, and began playing with my kitten.

After nearly an hour she managed to rip the shoelace out of my hand. This, for
some reason, triggered a ten-minute episode of the zoomies before she got tired
out, left the shoelace on the kitchen floor near her food and water dishes, and
squeezed herself in under the living room couch for an hour-long nap.

During her nap, I stole the shoelace and hid it along with its twin where she
can't get at them - for safety reasons, I'd rather she not play with such things
when unsupervised - and naturally, once naptime was over she went straight to
the kitchen, found her newest toy missing from where she'd left it, and spent
the next two hours driving me crazy until that little light bulb came on above
my head and I went and got the shoelace and gave it back to her.

She instantly snapped it up in her teeth and got the zoomies again, off on
several more runs all through the house, merrily trailing the shoelace along
behind her. She eventually dragged it over by my shoes and stuffed it inside my
left shoe with her paws and kept fussing over there until she made certain I saw
what she was doing - we made eye contact for a few seconds - and then, with
frequent glances to make sure I was still watching, she dug it back out and took
it over to her kitty tower, where she got on top, walked around one of the poles
in a circle until the shoelace was wrapped twice around the pole. jumped down,
gave the loose end a firm yank with her mouth, and stalked off to the kitchen in
a huff - leaving me sitting here staring in disbelief at the shoelace I had just
watched my kitten tie to one of the poles on her kitty tower in a half slipknot.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 18th 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:01:51 -0800, Joy wrote:

LOL!

Yes...but after thinking about that whole episode again today...

When she first came running up to me with that shoelace, I said to her, "Oh,
Minnie...where the heck did you find that?" and she immediately went into a
now-familiar pattern of behavior she uses when she wants me to follow her
somewhere else in the house to see something or do something for her. It's how
she got me to let her out onto the sun porch last night in the first place right
before she found that bag with the shoelaces in it. So, I followed her again,
and she led me back out onto the sun porch, walked up to the bag of clothes, and
stood there with a paw on it, looking up at me and swishing her tail happily.

I'm convinced she understood the question and responded by showing me right
where she had found that shoelace. When my son was two years old, if he brought
some random item to you and you asked him where he got it from, he could take
you and show you where he had found that item. My KITTEN just did that last
night. I once read somewhere that some cats can reach the intelligence level of
a two-year old human. It appears that Minnie is already there.

Joy, I know I swore I wouldn't compare her to Goldie (RB), but she's making it
impossible not to. There's his kind of intelligence in her. I guess when you
expect nothing at all, that's when you get the most wonderful surprises.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 18th 17, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 1/17/2017 8:42 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
[...]

Yes, and cats are just the ones to give you those surprises.
Old January 18th 17, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:25:47 -0800, Joy wrote:

On 1/17/2017 8:42 PM, John Kasupski wrote:

I guess when you expect nothing at all, that's when you get the
most wonderful surprises.

Yes, and cats are just the ones to give you those surprises.

Here's another such surprise. I've had her litter box in the hallway upstairs
since day one - the bathroom is too small. I use the type of filler that clumps,
and I scoop it daily. I take it in the bathroom, sit down on the toilet lid with
the box on the floor in front of me, and sift the filler with a kitty scoop,
dropping the waste material into a plastic bag so when I'm done I can just tie
it off and carry it outside to the trash.

Minnie stands there and watches me do this every time without fail...and at some
point before I reach the end of the process, she will turn and walk out and go
stand in the hallway waiting for me to finish - and I have noticed I never, ever
find any more waste material in there after she walks out. Every day for two and
a half months...not one single solitary piece more after she walks away. It's as
if she remembers exactly what she buried in there, and where - and when she
walks away, she's telling me, "I guess you don't know it yet, boy, but your work
is done here." Which for all I know is precisely what's happening.

When she sees me finally put the scoop away, she helps put on the finishing
touches by jumping inside and happily putting several paw prints in the filler
that I've just carefully smoothed out nice and even on top for her. I call that
getting her stamp of approval. :-)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 18th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 1/18/2017 2:26 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
[...]

LOL! I understand some cats wait for the box to be cleaned so they can
immediately get in and use it.

Joy
Old January 19th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/18/2017 2:26 PM, Joy wrote:
On 1/18/2017 2:26 AM, John Kasupski wrote:

When she sees me finally put the scoop away, she helps put on the
finishing
touches by jumping inside and happily putting several paw prints in
the filler
that I've just carefully smoothed out nice and even on top for her. I
call that
getting her stamp of approval. :-)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

LOL! I understand some cats wait for the box to be cleaned so they can
immediately get in and use it.

Joy

Buffy won't use the litterbox (which is in the room with the tub &
toilet; the vanity/sink area is separate) if I'm still in the room. She
will, however, use it as soon as I've finished scooping and have walked
out towards the sink area. I guess she's a bit shy.

Jill
Old January 19th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:44:36 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

LOL! I understand some cats wait for the box to be cleaned so they can
immediately get in and use it.

Joy

Buffy won't use the litterbox (which is in the room with the tub &
toilet; the vanity/sink area is separate) if I'm still in the room. She
will, however, use it as soon as I've finished scooping and have walked
out towards the sink area. I guess she's a bit shy.

Come to think of it, there was one time Minnie when as soon as I finished and
put the scoop away she immediately hopped in and started manufacturing a new
"rock" of clumped-together filler for me to scoop out. But there have been a few
more times she stayed behind to use it right away after I finished and went
downstairs to dispose of the material I scooped out in the trash tote outside,
so I suspect that one time it was probably more a matter of urgency than of not
being bashful.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

stolen cats Anna Cat rescue 5 August 2nd 11 09:13 AM
Stolen from another newsgroup Joy Cat anecdotes 9 December 11th 06 02:18 AM
ID theory - stolen Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 3 December 20th 05 02:44 AM
Stolen from another group Yoj Cat anecdotes 0 October 26th 04 07:01 PM