Susan Boyle has been admitted to a clinic

Old June 2nd 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Susan Boyle has been admitted to a clinic

To recover from exhaustion. Read -too much negative media attention.
It saddens me.
IMO it should all be positive. Here is a person who has some degree
of learning difficulty, I cannot deny that. She is not conventionally
beautiful, I cannot deny that either. But by god she can sing.

Tweed

Old June 2nd 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

To recover from exhaustion. Read -too much negative media attention.
It saddens me.
IMO it should all be positive. Here is a person who has some degree
of learning difficulty, I cannot deny that. She is not conventionally
beautiful, I cannot deny that either. But by god she can sing.

I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 2nd 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
D Mahoney

I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

Unfortunately society as a whole is deplorably insensitive and cruel. It
seems that as time goes on our society becomes less and less civil.
"Common sense" and "common courtesy" are both very UNCOMMON commodities.
The more I see of society, the more I appreciate my cats.

Dan

Old June 2nd 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

D Mahoney wrote:
I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

Unfortunately society as a whole is deplorably insensitive and cruel. It
seems that as time goes on our society becomes less and less civil.
"Common sense" and "common courtesy" are both very UNCOMMON commodities.
The more I see of society, the more I appreciate my cats.

Dan

Society is simply humans. Human nature has some rather nasty aspects
that we have to be trained out of. Some societies develop rules of
behaviour or moral codes that strongly repress the innate tendency of
humans to emphasize how much they're part of their group, or that
they're 'normal", by attacking anyone who is different, unusual, weak,
or in some other way 'not one of us'.

Our society seems to be moving more and more away from even trying to
treat everyone as a human being; from even arguing or teaching that
people should do so. Look at the popularity of a lot of the reality
shows which, from the little I've seen, are actually designed to
encourage people to mock and abuse others.

It's not in the least surprising that Susan Boyle was treated the way
she was. Everyone who buys the papers and watch the shows that set
people up to be publicly humiliated after luring them in with promises
of fame and fortune participates in a system that's bound to hurt people.

Cheryl
Old June 2nd 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 1, 8:18*pm, D Mahoney wrote:
I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

Unfortunately society as a whole is deplorably insensitive and cruel. It
seems that as time goes on our society becomes less and less civil.
"Common sense" and "common courtesy" are both very UNCOMMON commodities.
The more I see of society, the more I appreciate my cats.

I think the impression that things are getting worse in this respect
is quite wrong. I am not excusing the treatment this wonderful and
talented singer got from some quarters but this isn't new. Janis
Joplin was the victim of a huge amount of unkindness from people all
over the world, especially from the people in her home town. And Janis
was, in my certainly fallible opinion, an even greater talent.

I think that the media may actually _be_ worse today in this respect
but huge segments of society as a whole had no interest in seeing a
woman who was not conventionaly attractive back then. And some of the
worst of the abuse came from women.

--
Will in New Haven

Old June 2nd 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Will in New Haven wrote in
:

[...]

Agreed about things have not changed in general and strongly agree about
Janice. I love the bus scene of her and Garcia in Festival Express (I
think it was those two). And if you want to talk about one of the best
voices ever Cass Eliot was right up there and she suffered for her looks.
Roy Orbison was overshadowed by the "pelvis of elvis" but another "top
10" voice. This is not anything new. For me, I could never understand
why a singer's looks mattered.

Andy

Old June 2nd 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 2, 12:24*pm, outsider wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote :

[...]

A singer's looks, for me, could add but not detract from her appeal. I
_guess_ that's why I followed Grace Slick around with my tongue
dragging on the ground. But that was long ago and I've matured.

--
Will in New Haven