big black ants

Old August 10th 03, 04:06 PM
Stacey

Default big black ants

Egads.. then you'd have to get CLOSE to it!!!!!!

Stacey (who's been known to run around naked while spraying a spider with
Windex till it drowned)

"Lisa Katt" wrote in message

Jill McQuown skrev i meddelandet
.. .
wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:

Lizzie was 'chasing' one of those big black ants in the kitchen
the other day.

shudder

I remember those big black ants. They don't have those in California -
or at least, in the Bay Area, where I live. We get these little tiny
ants. OK, they do travel in huge throngs. But I think I would prefer
to deal with a throng of tiny ants than a single huge one. We had
those in my house when I was young, living on the East Coast. They
freaked me out, and I was often afraid to go to bed, in case one of
them crawled on me at night. Ugh, my skin is crawling just thinking
of it...

Joyce

This is funny! I was showing a woman at work in a catalog this adorable
little statuette of a kitten sipping out of a teacup when suddenly she
jumped and grabbed her side. I said, "Are you okay?" I'd turned the

page
corner down and she spotted a photo of a snake-lamp and just about jumped
out of her chair! She said, "Oh, it's that snake." Oh! Even a picture

of
one makes her react like that.

With me, it's palmetto bugs. They are like huge flying cockroaches,

common
to the Southern U.S. I once spotted one crawling across the tile floor
while I was in the bathtub. I jumped up, leaped over it and ran naked to
the kitchen to grab a can of bug spray. Then I chased it all around the
bathroom with the spray, chanting "die, die, die!" That would have made

hilarious video!

Jill

Would it not have been easier to just whack it with a shoe or something?
Elisabet

Old August 11th 03, 12:31 AM
Jette Goldie

"Jill McQuown" wrote
This is funny! I was showing a woman at work in a catalog this adorable
little statuette of a kitten sipping out of a teacup when suddenly she
jumped and grabbed her side. I said, "Are you okay?" I'd turned the page
corner down and she spotted a photo of a snake-lamp and just about jumped
out of her chair! She said, "Oh, it's that snake." Oh! Even a picture of
one makes her react like that.

My mother was the same.

With me, it's palmetto bugs. They are like huge flying cockroaches,

common
to the Southern U.S. I once spotted one crawling across the tile floor
while I was in the bathtub. I jumped up, leaped over it and ran naked to
the kitchen to grab a can of bug spray. Then I chased it all around the
bathroom with the spray, chanting "die, die, die!" That would have made a
hilarious video!

Never actually met a palmetto bug - or even a cockroach - in
RL - but I sincerely desire NOT to - EVER. Earwigs are bad
enough.

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old August 11th 03, 07:04 AM

LOL wrote:

I very, very rarely use bug spray, because of Mike, but I have found
that a wide range of cleaning supplies and grooming products will do
just as good a job. It's kind of alarming, really - stuff I routinely
apply to *myself* makes bugs keel right over.

Oh, that *is* alarming!

I take it Mike isn't much help dispatching with the intruders? Roxy,
Smudge and Lambchop all go after anything that moves in this house - I'm
just lucky I'm bigger than they are.

Joyce
Old August 11th 03, 08:40 AM
John Biltz

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:14:24 -0700, Hopitus2 wrote
(in message ):

Now that you mention bizarre dispatching methods for insects, we have dumped
Clorox on palmetto bugs when proper sprays were not at hand......effective
and who's to say less humane?

Clorox is chlorine. Chlorine is a poison. Chlorine gas was used as a
weapon in WWI. It purifies water because it kills everything living in
it. I would think it would be pretty effective on bugs.

I've seen ants in Panama an inch long and as thick as my thumb. One bit
one of the guys and we found him unconscious about half and hour later in
shock.

Old August 12th 03, 01:07 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
John Biltz wrote:

Clorox is chlorine. Chlorine is a poison.

It's bleach, right?

Yes, it's chlorine bleach.

Joy

Old August 12th 03, 02:31 AM

John Biltz wrote:

Was he allergic,

Probably at least a little but he never knew it.

Right, who would know that he's allergic to one-inch-square Panamanian
ants??

Still shuddering,

Joyce