Your cat doesn’t love you: science

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Your cat doesn't love you: science

On 9/12/2015 2:48 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:59:33 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

But is it *love*? The scientific part of me says it's more likely that
cats just want to be fed and have a comfy bed inside when it's cold or
raining and will do what they have to to achieve it. My heart says that
Boyfie loves me.

GLyN doesn't stay inside often.

He DOES, however, follow me like a dog whenever I'm outside,
and he talks to me constantly then, and only then.

Inside, he won't eat until he has gotten up on my lap and
been petted, and he does the same AFTER eating, almost
every time he eats, day or night.

He doesn't just loaf on my lap, he has to be ON my chest,
or even my shoulder, and will strain to get his head tilted
back far enough to see me when he's there.

NOT the same as human love, but a close enough version
for me, and apparently, for him.

I'm with you. My two compete for attention, not for food. Koala
usually spends at least part of the night lying on, or against my legs,
although the bed is plenty big enough for him to be comfortable without
touching me. When he's leading me to the kitchen for his meals, he
often stops for petting on the way. As you say, that's close enough for
me, and apparently for him.

Joy