[OT] Humor (or, rather, Humour)

Old February 9th 05, 03:18 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Humor (or, rather, Humour)

It is probably an urban legend that this was really written by John Cleese,
but it's so John Cleesian that if it wasn't, it *should* have been.

Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America:

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus
to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth
II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other
territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not fancy). Your new prime
minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America without the need
for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A
questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you
noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules
are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then
look up "aluminium," and check the
pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been
pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour'
and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without
skipping half the letters, and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the
suffix "ise." You will learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra';
you may elect to respell Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you find you simply
can't cope
with correct pronunciation.

Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable
levels. (look up "vocabulary"). Using the same twenty-seven words
interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an
unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

2. There is no such thing as "US English." We will let Microsoft know on
your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of
the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize."

3. You will relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but
only after fully carrying out Task #1 (see above).

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday. November 2nd will be
a new national holiday, but to be celebrated only in England. It will be
called "Come-Uppance Day."

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers or
therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that
you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by
adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone
or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.
Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more
dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to
carry a vegetable peeler in public.

6. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your
own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start
driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go
metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.
Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense
of humour.

7. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been
calling "gasoline")-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are
not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are
properly called "crisps." Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and
dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

9. Waiters and waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with
customers.

10. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer
at all. Henceforth, only proper British
Bitter will be referred to as "beer," and European brews of known and
accepted provenance will be referred to as "Lager." American brands will be
referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine," so that all can be sold without
risk of further confusion.

11. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good
guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English
characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in "Four
Weddings and a Funeral" was an experience akin to having one's ears removed
with a cheese grater.

12. You will cease playing American "football." There is only one kind of
proper football; you call it "soccer." Those of you brave enough will, in
time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American
"football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or
wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies). Further, you will
stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the
"World Series" for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only
2.1% of you are aware that
there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable.

13. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's
Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies
due (backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your co-operation.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 9th 05, 03:57 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:18:07 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

It is probably an urban legend that this was really written by John Cleese,
but it's so John Cleesian that if it wasn't, it *should* have been.

================================================= ==========================

Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America:

(snip)

Well, in light of that fact that when John Cleese was asked what he
would bring to a desert island, he requested a plaster effigy of
Margaret Thatcher and a cricket bat . . .

Theresa
Old February 9th 05, 04:11 PM
Katz

Omigosh what a hoot! Wonder why he didn't mention what's-her-name who
played Bridget Jones?

Old February 9th 05, 05:24 PM
Christina Websell

================================================ ===========================

Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America:

(snip)

Well, in light of that fact that when John Cleese was asked what he
would bring to a desert island, he requested a plaster effigy of
Margaret Thatcher and a cricket bat . . .

Theresa

I loved Catnipped's post, it made me laugh. I never heard of John Cleese
writing this, but it's certainly in his style.
I shall forward this to Nüle, she will love it. As a German, learning
English from wherever she could before I knew her, I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !! We call it
"A". If she says or mails something like that I say to her "That's A!!"
and then we discuss the English phrase.

Tweed

Tweed

Old February 10th 05, 04:19 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Whoever wrote it, it's been around since the 2000 election.
(Wish we'd taken them up on it!)

Old February 10th 05, 01:33 PM
Katz

Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

Old February 10th 05, 01:44 PM
Kreisleriana

On 10 Feb 2005 05:33:51 -0800, "Katz"
yodeled:

Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

1) Raising hand and waving it frantically I know!! I know!
"Pavement."

2) We say "cookie" because the word originated in the New Amsterdam
colony, later New York. It was originally the Dutch word "koekje."

3) "Aeroplane!!!???"
imitating Graham Chapman in old Monty Python "Flying Lessons"
sketch Oh, 'an aeroplane'. Oh, I say, we are grand, aren't we?
(imitation posh accent) 'Oh, oh, no more buttered scones for me,
mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'. 'Pardon me while I fly my
aeroplane.' :P

Theresa
Old February 10th 05, 05:12 PM
Christina Websell

"Katz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

Pavement. :-)

Tweed

Old February 10th 05, 05:29 PM
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Katz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

Pavement. :-)

Tweed

Which can lead to some really bad misunderstandings with us merkins who
think the pavement is the road. ;~}

Jo

Old February 10th 05, 06:13 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Katz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

Pavement. :-)

Tweed

Which can lead to some really bad misunderstandings with us merkins
who think the pavement is the road. ;~}

Jo

LOL! Yeah, don't drive on the pavement in the UK!

Jill