(OT) Merry Maids - I'm ticked!

Old July 12th 12, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default (OT) Merry Maids - I'm ticked!

jmcquown wrote:

I got the number for the owner (he's in Charleston where he just opened
a new location). He gave me the OSHA song and dance. I explained what
I'd done that morning in the master bath. He said, "Oh, they're talking
about the cat feces all over the house." WHAT?! Good lord! I'm not
the neatest person in the world; when it comes to cleaning I'll admit
I'm downright lackadaisical about it. (This house is way too big for
one, or even two, people.) But I couldn't, *wouldn't*, live with cat
feces all over my house! That's absurd! He said sorry, he was getting
conflicting stories. Oh, so the customer is always wrong?!

I suppose they vary from state to state, but the time or two I used
Merry Maids in California, I found them satisfactory, and not TOO
expensive. (Although I had much better luck with cleaning people I used
on recommendations from friends for whom they'd worked.)
Old July 12th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 11, 9:25*pm, Judith Latham wrote:
.. Mom pays her for an hour and she's
there for twenty minutes. That cleaner is pulling a fast one.

We decided to get a cleaner a few years back, she arrived wiped down
some kitchen worktops then said she had to go as one of her other
clients had lost his keys and she had a spare set and of course when
it came to getting paid for 10 minutes work she didn't have any change
so walked away with her hourly rate. Also she said she didn't do
bathrooms, which as we had specifically mentioned bathrooms was a bit
odd.

A friend tells me if you get lucky with the first cleaner you have
then you should buy a lottery ticket- they had 4 before they found one
who was good at her job and they liked.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 12th 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-07-12 10:28 AM, Lesley wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:25 pm, Judith Latham wrote:
. Mom pays her for an hour and she's
there for twenty minutes. That cleaner is pulling a fast one.

We decided to get a cleaner a few years back, she arrived wiped down
some kitchen worktops then said she had to go as one of her other
clients had lost his keys and she had a spare set and of course when
it came to getting paid for 10 minutes work she didn't have any change
so walked away with her hourly rate. Also she said she didn't do
bathrooms, which as we had specifically mentioned bathrooms was a bit
odd.

A friend tells me if you get lucky with the first cleaner you have
then you should buy a lottery ticket- they had 4 before they found one
who was good at her job and they liked.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

In a lot of jobs, if the worker shows up, they get paid some amount. I
had one once doing temp work - and if I turned up because they'd
forgotten to cancel their booking, I got paid. OTOH, if I left after 10
minutes, I wouldn't have gotten paid!

My mother was lucky - she got someone recommended by another customer in
the same building who charged a very reasonable amount for an hour,
during which she did an astonishing amount of work - the heavier work in
the kitchen and bathroom were top on the list because of course they
were harder for my mother to do.

She did complain about the number of ornaments my mother had on every
flat surface, which made dusting harder, and tended to leave every
picture a bit unevenly hung after dusting, but that's minor stuff, and
although I told my mother she didn't have to put her ornaments away to
keep the cleaner happy, my sympathies were rather with the cleaner.

--
Cheryl

Old July 12th 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I didn't
take her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny
noise. You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise
anymore. Persia must have known I was planning to take her to the vet.
She started eating her kibble right away I'm still going to switch
her to the wet R/x food. I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Several people were worried about Persia (me too) and you couldn't be
bothered to update the threads about the vet visit.
It annoys me, Jill.
We care about Persia and were waiting to know if it was bad or good.

I know you mean well, Christina, but this is sort of snarky/rude. People
(some of them, anyway grin)do have lives that are outside of their
pets (be it cat, dog, rodent, snake, or fish) or that keeps them away
from a computer for days at a time... or else their job is AT a computer
and they have no compunction to sit in front of one when they get home
(been there, done that).

While I too was worried about Persia (as was Weebs, her *wink*wink*
friend), I knew that Jill would post any news (good or bad) when she had
time or felt good enough to. My fear was that the news was terrible and
Jill was not in an emotional state to post about it.

Glad that is NOT the case and Persia has her appetite back!
Nevertheless, I was going to post a PING to Jill if she hadn't posted by
this weekend!

BUT - I am not happy with the state of affairs of the housing situation,
and wish Jill the best of luck! I am hoping for a quick sale and that
her (greedy) brothers do not come looking for a share of the money they
think they deserve....

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Old July 12th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message

On Jul 11, 9:25 pm, Judith Latham wrote:
.. Mom pays her for an hour and she's
there for twenty minutes. That cleaner is pulling a fast one.

We decided to get a cleaner a few years back, she arrived wiped down
some kitchen worktops then said she had to go as one of her other
clients had lost his keys and she had a spare set and of course when
it came to getting paid for 10 minutes work she didn't have any change
so walked away with her hourly rate. Also she said she didn't do
bathrooms, which as we had specifically mentioned bathrooms was a bit
odd.

A friend tells me if you get lucky with the first cleaner you have
then you should buy a lottery ticket- they had 4 before they found one
who was good at her job and they liked.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I always pay by check, not cash, and I always pay after a job is finished.
I have also been very fortunate with the people who work for me. I have had
the same lawn man for 30 years (yes, 30 *years*), the same house cleaner for
several years, and a fantastic "jack of all trades" handyman for 12 years.
Every single one of them has been honest and reliable and has done excellent
work. In turn, I try to treat people very well. I do not look for the
"cheapest" labor. I want to have good work done, and I do not expect people
to give me the best labor in exchange for the cheapest rate I could find.
My mother always used to have a cold drink (homemade lemonade) ready for
workers on hot days. I have done the same thing, except that I do not go to
the effort of making it myself. I keep cold drinks (Gator Aid) in the
fridge for workers.

MaryL

Old July 12th 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I suppose they vary from state to state, but the time or two I used
Merry Maids in California, I found them satisfactory, and not TOO
expensive. (Although I had much better luck with cleaning people I used
on recommendations from friends for whom they'd worked.)

I also prefer to hire someone who works for herself (or himself). That
way, all the money I spend goes directly to the cleaner. With a business
that sends people out to your house, you have to pay more, because the
business needs to make a profit. And the cleaners get less, sometimes a
lot less.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old July 12th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Yeah, mine too. About 7-8 years ago, I had a job cleaning therapists'
offices. Much easier than cleaning homes! But yes, a lot of them had
dozens of small tchotchokes on their mantel or shelves, that I would
have to dust (I also had to carefully dust each item). A real pain in
the butt. Therapists who worked with children would have a bunch of toys
and small figures on their shelves. But I was paid decently, so it was
a good gig.

At that time in my life I was so cynical about psychotherapy that I used
to be really glad I was cleaning those offices instead of sitting in the
client chairs!

Old July 12th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

While I too was worried about Persia (as was Weebs, her *wink*wink*
friend), I knew that Jill would post any news (good or bad) when she had
time or felt good enough to. My fear was that the news was terrible and
Jill was not in an emotional state to post about it.

That was my only worry, too. I was as worried about Jill as I was about
Persia. I'm also glad that Persia is doing better!

Old July 13th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I
didn't
take her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny
noise. You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise
anymore. Persia must have known I was planning to take her to the
vet.
She started eating her kibble right away I'm still going to
switch
her to the wet R/x food. I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Several people were worried about Persia (me too) and you couldn't be
bothered to update the threads about the vet visit.
It annoys me, Jill.
We care about Persia and were waiting to know if it was bad or good.

You are so right about this. Most pet lovers are
worry worts" where our pets, or friends' pets are concerned/ I had got
to the point of thinking Jill didn't want to "tell us the " worst" and
here she seemed to have just forgotten that we were interested.

(snippage)

Excuse me if other things intruded in my life! I've been a little busy.

In the meantime you leave us to worry about Persia, She is well loved on
this group.

If I told you that Boyfriend had been knocked down by a car outside my house
and never updated whether he died or not, what would you think about me?

(he hasn't)

Old July 13th 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
OB Cats: I never updated about Persia not eating her kibble. I didn't
take her to the vet. It was just like when your car is making a funny
noise. You take it to a mechanic and it doesn't make that noise
anymore. Persia must have known I was planning to take her to the vet.
She started eating her kibble right away I'm still going to switch
her to the wet R/x food. I'll keep an eye on her.

Jill

Several people were worried about Persia (me too) and you couldn't be
bothered to update the threads about the vet visit.
It annoys me, Jill.
We care about Persia and were waiting to know if it was bad or good.

I know you mean well, Christina, but this is sort of snarky/rude.

No it isn't. I waited for ages to see if Persia was OK from her vet visit
and she never got there/
I don't think you will ever see me snarky & rude.