KITTY LITTER DUST

Old January 28th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
DanS

Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

In article , William
Graham wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
In article , Matthew
wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
In article , Kyla%
wrote:

Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...

I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel like
I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??

Dan

In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out

I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
the dust.

The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
with, too.......

Actually, I meant clumping. I was thinking that I scoop out the clumps
and called it "scoopable" but I meant "clumping".
Old January 28th 08, 11:20 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"DanS" wrote in message
In article , William
Graham wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
In article , Matthew
wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
In article , Kyla%
wrote:

[...]

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently using
it? You could enclose it in a box, and vent it to the outside with a small
muffin fan if it really bothered you that much.....If nothing else, It would
get the smell out of the house......

Old January 29th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

"William Graham" wrote in message

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of

my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently

using
it?

I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I tossed
it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's running,
you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see it
run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.

Old January 29th 08, 08:59 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
seejaneburn

(de-lurking for a minute)
I know it's not scoopable, but I use the recycled newspaper litter, for four
reasons: Dust free, so much lower risk of respiratory problems and airborn
greeblies, low odour (it seems to mask ammonia very well), cheap so instead
of scooping I just tip the whole lot in the bin every day and it can be
bought in bulk, and environmentally friendly. I'm in Australia so not sure
what is available to you, but after testing many litter brands and types,
this seems to be the best combined value for money/odour control/healthwise
of the brands available to me. Another good alternative if you can find it
is lucerne pellets, often can be bought in bulk at feed stores for a few
dollars a litre.

Old January 29th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
dgk

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:11:13 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

[...]

This topic comes up often and most folks think that Littermaid is a
waste of money. Having looked around a bit I almost bought this one:

http://www.litter-robot.com/

It is NOT cheap, around $300.

I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.

But if I was going to buy one of these things, this is the one I would
get.
Old January 29th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

"dgk" wrote in message

http://www.litter-robot.com/
It is NOT cheap, around $300.

I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.

I considered one of those at one point, but it doesn't really seem like
there's a lot a space in there for a cat. And although poop might be
filtered away quickly, when she pees it would be hitting the sides of the
LitterRobot. I know if I was a cat, climbing into that thing wouldn't be
pleasant. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the Littermaid
wasn't that it was breaking down (although that was certainly a contributing
factor), but that there were so many nooks and crannies for poop to get
lodged in and that it was a really big pain in the ass to clean when I
wanted to every month or two.

Another thing that bothered me with the Littermaid is that the sides of them
aren't as high as they could be and my big cat sometimes sprayed over the
edge of the Littermaid.

D.

Old January 29th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
dgk

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:28:11 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

Folks seem to really like that Litter-robot though. Of course, they
could all be stockholders. I'm not.
Old January 29th 08, 06:55 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bob

I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

Old January 29th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
DanS

In article , Bob
wrote:

I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.

I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
too dusty.

Thanks!
Old January 30th 08, 12:11 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bob

You're welcome.

It's cheaper too ;-)