Male vs Female Cats

Old September 2nd 03, 02:29 AM
Angela Ryan

Default Male vs Female Cats

This is a really stupid question but here goes....

Does anyone else think there is a difference in the meow of a male and
female cat?....their 'normal' meow that is, not mating call etc.

Just an observation I made and was wondering

Angela (and Gizmo, of course)

Old September 2nd 03, 02:46 AM
Hopitus2

Man, what a Labor Day - nonstop rain all day and still tonight.....inside
with the non-celebratory cats, who could care less that picnics & fireworks
were both dicey today.
To give you *my* opinion......I don't think so, dear. Some of the loudest,
fiercest, most male-voice-sounding growls here come out of dainty Maluce,
usually when BT Rowdy disturbs her napping with an unannounced pounce of his
20# self onto her with hopes of "playtime", which never happens! OTOH, *he*
has a tiny squeaky meow - LOL - usually when he greets my homecoming after
work.

:

Old September 2nd 03, 03:13 AM
Yoj

I think each cat has a distinct meow. I've had both males and females,
and don't see a particular difference between male and female, but I can
usually recognize the meow of any individual cat - unless it is the
"intruder alert" meow. Then, they both sound very similar.

--
Joy

Normal is in the eye of the beholder. -- Whoopie Goldberg

Old September 2nd 03, 11:37 AM
lewe

"Angela Ryan" wrote in message
This is a really stupid question but here goes....

Does anyone else think there is a difference in the meow of a male and
female cat?....their 'normal' meow that is, not mating call etc.

Don't think there's a distinct difference between male/female, I can
possibly see some difference when it comes to unneutered cats I've observed.
I think cats usually have a voice of their own, high or low, different types
of meows and sounds they make and so on and that they normally will develope
over time - much of their "talking" is of course for our benefit, we who are
too slow to pick up on more subtle signals and seem to enjoy making
chattering noices most of the time ...

My two, both neutered abys, talk quite a lot, the female Thea has done it
since she was small (only cat for the first couple of months after she moved
in) and the male Bono has more grown in to it, possibly picking up on Thea's
chattering. Thankfully they have little voices, they both sound more or less
pitiful most of the time ... (don't tell them I said that!), and they both
also have their own versions of practically inaudible - at least to me -
meows.

--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old September 2nd 03, 01:17 PM
JBHajos

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:29:19 +1000, "Angela Ryan"
wrote:

Does anyone else think there is a difference in the meow of a male and
female cat?....their 'normal' meow that is, not mating call etc.

Based on gender alone, I don't think so. Hobo has a soft, gutteral
meow. Speckles' is more "catty." Then there was Mini (RB) who, at
her tiny 7-8 pounds, had a meow that could be heard two blocks away!!

Jeanne
Old September 2nd 03, 03:43 PM
Marina

"JBHajos" wrote

Based on gender alone, I don't think so. Hobo has a soft, gutteral
meow. Speckles' is more "catty." Then there was Mini (RB) who, at
her tiny 7-8 pounds, had a meow that could be heard two blocks away!!

And each cat has a wide range of sounds, like Frank: everything from a deep
throaty yowl to a pathetic little meep, and Nikki: from long mrrrrrrrrrrrps
and the short, terse miaow of greeting to the plaintive miaaaaaah when she
wants something.

--
Marina

Old September 2nd 03, 06:09 PM
Cathi

Comparing our two:

Carrie is very vocal indeed, and it's a proper meow.

Jasper, by contrast, squeaks. We got him at around the same time as our
then next door neighbours got themselves a puppy. One night, we heard
Jasper squeaking to come in, but the noise was so un-cat-like, we
thought it was Benson whining.

The only time Jasper makes "proper" cat noises is when he's discussing
boundaries with the cat next door!
--
Cathi
Old September 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Brenda Watkins

"Angela Ryan" wrote in message
This is a really stupid question but here goes....

Does anyone else think there is a difference in the meow of a male and
female cat?....their 'normal' meow that is, not mating call etc.

Just an observation I made and was wondering

Angela (and Gizmo, of course)

I don't think it's a stupid question at all, Angela! I've noticed that
different cats have distinct voices - I can always tell which of my cats is
meowing even when we're not in the same room.

Brenda

Old September 3rd 03, 06:54 AM
bewtifulfreak

Brenda Watkins wrote:
"Angela Ryan" wrote in
message ...
This is a really stupid question but here goes....

Does anyone else think there is a difference in the meow of a male
and female cat?....their 'normal' meow that is, not mating call etc.

Just an observation I made and was wondering

Angela (and Gizmo, of course)

I don't think it's a stupid question at all, Angela! I've noticed
that different cats have distinct voices - I can always tell which of
my cats is meowing even when we're not in the same room.

No, not stupid at all! There may be a boy/girl difference, but I think, as
with humans, there is a big variation even amongst the genders. Ours are
both boys, and while Crowley has a clear, lovely, often trilling voice,
Greebo has been dubbed, variously, the "ruptured duck", and "broken squeaky
toy", because of his rather pathetic though adorable excuse for a meow, LOL!
And, as is so often the case, this anaemic little squeak comes out of a big,
huge black bruiser of a cat....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak