Permanent mark on fur instead of collar?

Old April 28th 05, 10:41 PM
223rem

Default Permanent mark on fur instead of collar?

My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!
Old April 28th 05, 11:55 PM
Spot

Now I've never done this but i have taken red marker and marked the fur
where I needed the vet to do a needle biopsy on. Barney had such thick fur
that when I found a lump it sometimes was hard to for the vet to find it
later and I couldn't rely on Mike to find it either so I started marking
them with marker prior to his vet visits.

Celeste

m...

Old April 29th 05, 12:05 AM
KellyH

"223rem" wrote in message
m...
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!

That's probably not a good idea. How about getting them microchipped?

--
-Kelly

Old April 29th 05, 12:16 AM
Ivor Jones

KellyH wrote:
"223rem" wrote in message
m...
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!

That's probably not a good idea. How about getting them
microchipped?

Microchips aren't obvious to the casual observer. You should still get
this done, however.

Ivor

Old April 29th 05, 12:22 AM
Yowie

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
KellyH wrote:
"223rem" wrote in message
m...
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!

That's probably not a good idea. How about getting them
microchipped?

Microchips aren't obvious to the casual observer. You should still get
this done, however.

Ear tattoos?

Yowie

Old April 29th 05, 02:48 AM
Candy Cane

"223rem" wrote in message
m...
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Have you tried a totally elasticized collar? I've been using this type of
collar for 15 years and haven't had a cat lose one yet.

Old April 29th 05, 03:41 AM
rpl

223rem wrote:
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!

Tiedye.

or you could tatoo the inside of an ear or something
Old April 29th 05, 05:33 AM
Gary Stone

"223rem" wrote in message
m...
My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
write my cell phone #) when playing outside.

Would it be possible to somehow mark their fur
with a die to make it obvious that they are pets? I've
considered writing my cell phone number on them with a
permanent marker, but I wonder about toxicity issues.
Your thoughts? Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that they work, I never heard anyone say they've lost them
before. I will go out and buy some tomorrow for my two cats to wear on
weekends when the folks come up to their cabins. Always afraid they'll scoop
one of the cats up and take em back south with them. Resisted the collars
cause there are a lot of things to get snagged on here. You would think
they'd come up with an ID tag that could clip onto the hair or something,
like a braid.

Stone

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos

Old April 29th 05, 08:35 AM
Tim Hogard

223rem ) wrote:
: My cats keep losing their breakaway collars (on which I
: write my cell phone #) when playing outside.
It seems that once a cat learns to use both back feet at once
to get rid of the collar, nothing is going to work again.

My city gov't requires cats to wear a tag on her collar. The problem
is the collar is never where the cat is for long. She also seems
ot be in major distress when I put the collar back on.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com
Old April 29th 05, 02:26 PM
223rem

From: 223rem

I don't have any advice, I just like the moniker.
AR-15 or a clone?

No, a bolt action CZ rifle.